Re: [steiner] Music is the art of the future

  • LilOleMissy
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 13, 2003
      Hey, Christine and ALL!

      Welcome on board, Christine. Your thoughts are really "pearls" to
      contemplate, plus it's great to see you enthused, too! I read this last
      night and wanted time to "digest" your thoughts - you're so right about
      science! Steiner knew this full well, and therefore he stressed the
      scientific in all things - after all, he even coined the words SPIRITUAL
      SCIENCE! :)) HAH! I was so joyful to see your words "...only a truly
      scientific approach which looks for proof..." You've stated the key that
      Steiner always stressed! HOORAY!!!!!!!!! You've made my day as well as
      bringing enormous insight - thanks!!!!!!!!

      Joyfully,

      Sheila

    • rickbobbs
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 25, 2003
        Dear Sheila, and all;
        My internet-competent computer died, so I'm
        basically off-line for the foreseeable future, except for
        intermittent access at friends.

        Sheila... yes, a needle in a haystack, but what a haystack!
        (and I'll bet if you look, you'll find more...) And yes, the books
        you mention are the ones I've passed on to friends over the years.

        The music of the spheres is Devachanic, which is higher than
        the astral, and is reflected in the number relationships of the
        chemical ether, and thence into physical reality.

        I'm afraid I disagree with "belief - no proof needed,
        disbelief, no proof possible", and so did Steiner. He emphasized
        rather strongly that in occult matters, ubquestioning belief does
        serious spiritual damage, and even stated that it's better to leave
        these matters alone than to submit with unquestioning belief... I've
        referenced a pertinent quote in the (rather large and mostly off-
        topic) discussion under "murderous effects of lies) at
        Anthroposophy.net forum. I'll try to bring some of these observations
        here sometime.

        Hope to have more time later, Rick
      • LilOleMissy
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 26, 2003

          Rick, at time most of us seem to sit around all red eyed in a room strewn with books...haystack indeed! It seems someone came out with a LARGE book listing varying "subjects" or "points" made by Steiner [and which we must know NOW] along with a published source, but I've never seen it, thankfully, since I was told it seems one "subject" or "point" equates to a zillion references of WHERE it is to be found! What is usually "forgotten" are the varying perspectives of such points - talk about walking around a tree to see all 4 sides?! It's more like 400 to the billionth power sides! ACK!

          >       The music of the spheres is Devachanic, which is higher than
          > the astral, and is reflected in the number relationships of the
          > chemical ether, and thence into physical reality.
          >
          >        I'm afraid I disagree with "belief - no proof needed,
          > disbelief, no proof possible", and so did Steiner. He emphasized
          > rather strongly that in occult matters, ubquestioning belief does
          > serious spiritual damage, and even stated that it's better to leave
          > these matters alone than to submit with unquestioning belief... I've
          > referenced a pertinent quote in the (rather large and mostly off-
          > topic) discussion under "murderous effects of lies) at
          > Anthroposophy.net forum. I'll try to bring some of these observations
          > here sometime.

          I'm sure others would echo my hope you'll be able to, as well as having your computer behaving correctly. I accessed Anthroposophy.net once, finding it very informative and well done. Thanks for the info.!
          Sheila

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 4, 2003
            Dear Christine, Sheila & Folks;

            I really can't say that I know anywhere that Steiner indicates what
            could give credence to the idea that the machines - and machinations -
            of materialist astrophysicists give any insight into the 'music of
            the spheres'. Their 'discoveries' come from quite different sources.
            The following is far more typical of what I know to be Steiner's view:

            "...Man has at first no organs with which he could gaze up at
            that which lies on the further side of these forces of light, which
            we also call the Spirits of Form, no organs with which to look up
            into that which is woven into the light. Everything which on our
            earth regulates construction and decomposition, all that is active in
            these in the way of chemical forces is here still interwoven with
            light, and that is principally the domain in which the Spirits of
            Motion are at work. When man learns to perceive something of that
            which he otherwise looks upon merely as maya, in the action of the
            chemical combinations and dissolutions, then he hears these Spirits
            of Motion, he perceives the Music of the Spheres, of which the
            Pythagoreans and other occult schools speak. It is that too, which
            Goethe describes when he speaks of the sun, not as the giver of
            light, but when he says of it;
            `The sun, with many a sister-sphere,
            Stills sings the rival psalm of wonder,
            And still his fore-ordained career
            Accomplishes, with tread of thunder.'

            "This music of the spheres is still there, only it is inaudible
            to the ordinary consciousness. The music of the spheres is real, it
            approaches all men as an astral effect, coming from without. Man,
            however, does not hear it. If to him the music of the spheres was to
            alternate as does the light, which at certain times when darkness
            sets in he no longer sees, then there would be certain times when he
            could hear it. It sounds forth, however, both day and night, and thus
            he can only hear it when he goes through a certain occult training
            and development. Whereas the light streams towards us during the day,
            and during the night weaves on further as light which has been
            received and absorbed, the music of the spheres sounds forth both day
            and night. To man this is as with the miller, who only hears his mill
            when it is not working." (11 June 1910, in The Mission of Folk-Souls,
            1989, pp.61-62)

            Take care and give care, Rick
          • lilolemissy
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 4, 2003
              Dear Rick and All,

              I could be mistaken here - it seems to me somewhere Steiner states or illudes to mankinds' great musical compositions emulating in a sense a hint of the Music of the Spheres. I always wonder about Beethoven's String Quartets perhaps being close to such a hint of this. Even more spiritually higher than music, I seem to recall his stating to the effect that poetry is even higher than man's musical creations, but Eurythmy is the closest of all. It's remarkable how often we come across mention of "The Music of the Spheres" in some of the more ancient literature and myths.

              "The Mission of the Folk Souls" is one of my favorites, while some might consider it "controversial" but then poor Steiner and his work has always had numerous detractors. :)

              Cheers!

              Sheila
[...]

            • Morgan Vierheller
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 4, 2003
                The music of the spheres appears in modern literature as well.
                In Tolkien's "Sillmarillion," the first story.

                We have much evidence in the past. I think it is important to look
                around us.
                If these are indeed the archetypes, then they will find manifestation in
                the present.

                Morgan
              • lilolemissy

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 4, 2003
                    Dear Rick and All,

                    You're absolutely correct about this as far as I'm concerned, Rick. For me, any possible "hearing" of The Music of the Spheres must necessarily be a deeply inward process and totally outside the realm of the physical world. Sometimes we can have insights, or feelings, or however one wishes to describe these ways of "sensing", so to say. All mankind is capable of is to hopefully some day experience in some measure such matters, since, as you so well pointed out, they are in no way earthly/physical.

                    Sheila
[...]

                  • Lynn Couttie
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 5, 2003
                      Hi,

                      Could you please take me off your list, I dont want anymore steiner maile please

                      regards.

                      Post to steiner@egroups.com

                      Search the archives of the group at:

                      Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

                      Do you Yahoo!?
                      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now

                    • Lynn Couttie

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 5, 2003
                            In a message dated 12/5/2003 6:01:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, clea123@... writes:

                            Hi,

                            Could you please take me off your list, I dont want anymore steiner maile please

                            regards.

                            ******* Well, we heard you the first time. But you can do that from your own Yahoo! account. Let me know if you're really unable to do so and I'll do it for you.
                            starman