Re: "Resist Not Evil" (The Desert Cult)

  • rickbobbs
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 8, 2003
      Dear Folks;
      Steiner, like any realistic scientist, always wanted us
      to 'collect and correlate items of concrete knowledge'. Here is
      another fact that relates to the direct methods referred to under
      this heading:

      "I hope you will not take what has been said to-day as
      propagandism of any sort, but look upon it as expressing existing
      facts. A man certainly must and ought to live with his times and when
      anything is described, he should not look upon it as all that is to
      be said on the subject; he should learn to strike the balance. It is
      quite natural that the world to-day should be confronted with
      impulses leading entirely to materialism. That cannot be prevented,
      it is connected with the deep needs of the age. But a counterbalance
      must be established. One very prominent means of driving man into
      materialism is the cinematograph. It has not been observed from this
      standpoint; but there is no better school for materialism than the
      cinema. For what one sees there is not reality as men see it. Only an
      age which has so little idea of reality as this age of ours, which
      worships reality as an idol in a material sense, could believe that
      the cinema represents reality. Any other age would consider whether
      men really walk along the street as seen at the cinema; people would
      ask themselves whether what they saw at such a performance really
      corresponded to reality. Ask yourself frankly and honourably, what is
      really most like what you see in the street: a picture painted by an
      artist, an immobile picture, or the dreadful sparkling pictures of
      the cinematograph. If you put the question to yourselves quite
      honourably, you will admit that what the artist reproduces in a state
      of rest is much more like what you see. Hence, while people are
      sitting at the cinema, what they see there does not make its way into
      the ordinary faculty of perception, it enters a deeper, more material
      stratum than we usually employ for our perception. A man becomes
      etherically goggle-eyed at the cinema; he develops eyes like those of
      a seal, only much larger, I mean larger etherically. This works in a
      materialising way, not only upon what he has in his consciousness,
      but upon his deepest sub-consciousness. Do not think I am abusing the
      cinematograph; I should like to say once more that it is quite
      natural it should exist, and it will attain far greater perfection as
      time goes on. That will be the road leading to materialism. But a
      counterbalance must be established, and that can only be created in
      the following way. With the search for reality which is being
      developed in the cinema, with this descent below sense-perception,
      man must at the same time develop an ascent above it, an ascent into
      Spiritual reality. Then the cinema will do him no harm, and he can
      see it as often as he likes. But unless the counterbalance is there,
      people will be led by such things as these, not to have their proper
      relation to the earth, but to become more and more closely related to
      it, until at last they are entirely shut off from the Spiritual
      world." (27 Feb. 1917, in: Cosmic and Human Metamorphoses, 1989, pp.
      44-45)

      Now, add to this the 'unreality presented as reality' that digital
      special effects are able to instill, as Steiner says, not in peoples
      consciousness, but in their subconscious.

      Take care, and give care.... Rick.
    • LilOleMissy
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 8, 2003
        Dear Rick and Friends,

        Thank you for bringing this to our attention, since it seems to me,
        hopefully erroneously, few are aware of these facts. Steiner spoke quite a
        bit regarding the deleterious effects of movies upon our inner being and
        the influences thereby brought to bear upon not only ourselves, but
        mankind, Spiritual Beings and the entire universe. I've found *Cosmic &
        Human Metamorphosis* to be one of those "special" works speaking so very
        much to me, but perhaps we all have certain works striking very deeply into
        our very souls. It was also through this work that I understood something
        regarding organ transplants, as well as many other concepts.

        Cheers,

        Sheila

      • rickbobbs
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 9, 2003
          >Dear Sheila, & Folks;
          Thanks for the reply; I'd be very
          interested in references to Steiner's other comments re: film. I know
          that he warned about recordings as having deleterious, attractive
          influences on departed souls (i.e., attracting them back to earthly
          affairs), due to the penetrating power of voice, but I haven't
          referenced that either. As a musician, I had an old prejudice
          about 'dead guys' clogging up the industry, and disallowing the young
          artists from making a reasonable living, or often even being heard;
          but Steiner added quite another dimension to the problem!
          I'd also appreciate your pointing to which Steiner comments
          made you think of the issue of transplants as a 'health' method...
          way back when, I wondered (and still do) how many otherwise healthy
          children starve to death for the money spend keeping deathly
          sick 'rich' folks going. Bad, bad Karma there. Also, have you
          noticed? SARS and West Nile Virus are practically hysterical in the
          press. I figure that's why the hundreds of sick US forces personnel
          in Iraq have 'deadly pneumonia' instead of SARS - symptoms are the
          same, death rate is the same (low), but if you said SARS, the press
          would have to talk about it for months, whereas 'deadly pneumonia,
          well... I've seen it reported once on CBS, then you don't have to
          talk about it. And up here in Canada we've had 2 deaths from WNV...
          but one of them was a 92 year old with pneumonia -But he died from
          WEST NILE. Even a farce like that has to be talked up.

          Take care and give care, Rick
        • LilOleMissy
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 10, 2003
            Dear Rick and All,

            About Steiner's statements regarding the harm movies [and I'd guess TV
            might also fall into the same category?] can cause, I don't recall where I
            came across that point, but it seems to me he was speaking of the effects
            upon man and the Spiritual Worlds and Beings of the emotions elicited from
            us by this medium. In other words, our emotions, thoughts and feelings have
            a direct effect upon the spiritual worlds, and certainly movies bring these
            out as well as these not having a basis in fact since they are not due to
            real life experiences we have. I'd agree about recordings, Rick, which I
            seem to feel Steiner referred to as "canned" music, speech, etc. as opposed
            to a real performance seen and heard "in person." Since I've played piano
            most of my life, it was also interesting to me to read Steiner seemed to
            place the piano "lower on the scale" of musical instruments, but it seems
            to do with the absence of human breath [pneumotosophy, if I haven't errred
            in spelling] being involved as one would find in the wind instruments.
            Steiner seemed to me to compare music at times with the "Music of the
            Spheres," and he certainly loved good music.

            About the health issue I seemed to gain from "Human and Cosmic
            Metamorphosis," it was during the time I was working in medicine in
            relation to transplants and his words "liver is not always liver" opened up
            a vast world for me! I could "see," so to say, the world seemingly adapting
            to the concept of Body Parts Sold Here as we do to Auto Parts Sold Here -
            clear and simple without regard to the enormously vast spiritual
            implications involved. It's been my experience that most transplants are
            not often used for old sick rich people, but for children. It all gives me
            the feeling of Frankensteins being created, and for me it's an example of a
            seeming "good" actually being "harmful" instead.

            You mention SARS and West Nile Fever, both of which appear to be among the
            so-called "arising diseases," so to say, as is HIV/AIDS. Off and on there
            have been many diseases seemingly standing out more than perhaps others may
            be, and I wonder if perhaps the potential as well as the newness of such
            mostly "unheard of before" conditions may play a part in publicizing these
            things. The potential deadliness of these things is definitely to be taken
            seriously, it seems, as well as their seeming to be par for the course in
            some way for these current times. Twice I myself have survived pneumonia as
            well as other diseases and I feel many more exoteric as well as esoteric
            diseases will be playing far more important roles in our lives and in the
            world itself, but my feelings on these matters may perhaps be slanted due
            to my work.

            Next time, maybe we could hear more about your music? It's certainly a
            great part of my life.

            Cheers!
            Sheila