Calendar of the Soul, Week 20

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2003
      The "Calendar of the Soul"

      Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These are well known to students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day--- a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces--- and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days. Here's the Soul-Calendar' restored to its complete form for your use.

      *  M A N T R A  # 2 0  *

      So fühl ich erst mein Sein,

      Das fern vom Welten-Dasein

      In sich, sich selbst erlöschen

      Und bauend nur auf eignem Grunde

      In sich, sich selbst ertöten müsste.

      So feel I first my Being

      That far from World-Existence

      In itself, itself loses

      And building only out of its own Ground

      In itself, itself must die.

      This week's mantram:

          This week one begins to feel one's self for the first time since 'losing' it in the light & warmth of the summer--- but along with this is the feeling that oneself, isolated from the world, will perish along with all that one attempts to build from self, if that is the sole basis of one's creations.

                                      **********************************
          The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation LEO from August 4th to Sept. 7th in our era. A symbolic image of the LION done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday, August 31sth. Moon Scorpio. Joshua, the successor to Moses.
                                                  1821 the  Natural Scientist Helmholtz born.

      Monday,  September 1st. Moon Scorpio. Firminus.

      Tuesday,  September 2nd. Moon Sagittarius. Absalom.

      Wednesday,  September 3rd. Moon Sagittarius. First Quarter. Eusebius.

      Thursday,  September 4 th. Moon Capricorn. Marcellus, School of Peter
                                                      Moses.

      Friday,    September 5th. Moon Capricorn.  Nathaniel (he who in John's Gospel was named a 'true Israelite').

      Saturday,  September 6th. Moon Aquarius.  Zacharias the Prophet.

                         1729 Moses Mendelssohn born.

                         1809 the Biblical critic Bruno Bauer born.

      P.S. Brilliant yellowish-red Mars, at its brightest doing its retrograde 'loop', dominates the night sky, visible in the Southwest from shortly after sunset, moving to directly south by about midnight.

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere:

       *  M A N T R A  # 4 5  *

      Es festigt sich Gedankenmacht

      Im Bunde mit der Geistgeburt,

      Sie hellt der Sinne dumpfe Reize

      Zur vollen Klarheit auf.

      Wenn Seelenfülle

      Sich mit dem Weltenwerden einen will,

      Muss Sinnesoffenbarung

      Des Denkens Licht empfangen.

      Fast is Thinking’s Might

      In Union with the Spirit-Birth,

      It brightens the senses’ dim risings

      To full Clarity.

      When Soul-fulfillment

      With World-Becoming would become one,

      Must Senses’ revelation

      Thinking’s Light receive.

      This week's mantram:

          Last week, as we head towards spring when our inner selves once more go to sleep while the Earth awakens, stirrings of life in the wakening outer world combined with our wills as we continued to unfold the 'spirit-birth' acheived in winter. This week, the power of thinking unites with what was born in us then, to make clear to us all of the early spring stirrings of new life in the external world. In order for the Soul's fullness of experience to unite with this "becoming" of Nature, we must unite our thinking to our perceptions.