Re: The Akashic Ether

  • rickbobbs
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2003
      Dear Folks; Here are a couple of points that Steiner raised re:
      penetrating the spiritual through dreams:

      "Thus, between falling asleep and waking, we live a collective
      human life, which, in our inner being, we set in opposition to the
      thoughts and ideas resulting from our earthly experiences; and this
      creates the peculiar configuration of our dreams. That is why it is
      so extremely difficult to distinguish between what first presents
      itself as the content of a dream, and which may be nothing but a
      confused hocus-pocus, and the true reality which really always lies
      behind that. The true reality of the dream may be quite different. We
      can, however, gradually accustom ourselves to find our way about in
      the confused occurrences of dream-life, if we are alive to the fact
      that we must not pay too much attention to pictures conjured up
      before our souls in dreams; remembering that these pictures are
      really composed by the etheric body left behind in bed, which holds
      our thoughts and ideas. We do not have these ideas in our real inner
      being during sleep. We must distinguish this content of ideas from
      something else which I should like to call: the dramatic course of
      the dream. We must gradually accustom ourselves to pay attention to
      this and to ask ourselves: Is this dream running along lines which,
      if the events recorded were to take place in waking day-life, would
      give us great pleasure? Did we really experience this pleasure and
      satisfaction in the dream, or were we heading straight for a
      catastrophe? Did we begin by first seeing certain things which then
      disentangle themselves and led to a headlong fall or to a
      catastrophe? This is a question to be observed first of all in
      considering the life of our dreams; we must first consider the
      dramatic occurrences, not the thought content." (22 Aug. 1923, in:
      The Evolution of the World and of Humanity, 1989, pp62-63)

      "Yesterday I tried to show how the confusion in dreams arises from
      the fact that during sleep a man crosses the so-called Threshold
      unconsciously or half-consciously. Leaving the physical world of the
      senses, he enters the spiritual world and there encounters three
      worlds - a memory of the ordinary physical world, the soul world, and
      the real world of spirit. Events both inward and outward, experienced
      in our ordinary earthly life, are gathered together from what these
      three worlds reveal. But they are split apart when in sleep we enter
      the supersensible world, and what we experience is not then related
      to the world where it belongs. That is why, for the usual memory-
      consciousness, deceptions and illusions arise in dreams. Imaginative
      consciousness does not see the dream merely in this way, but makes it
      an object of observation, just as we look towards a distant point in
      physical space - though now, with Imagination, we look towards
      something distant in time. We do not simply remember what is dreamt;
      we look at it, and so for the first time arrive at a true conception
      of what a dream is. Thus we find how a dream is interpreted rightly
      only when we do not relate it to the physical, naturalistic world,
      but to the spiritual - above all, in most cases, to the moral world.
      The dream will never tell what it is expressing if its content is
      given a physical interpretation, but only when the interpretation is
      in accordance with the spiritually moral.
      "To illustrate this, let us turn to the confusion of the dream I
      told you about yesterday - the dream in which someone going for a
      walk is suddenly overcome with shame at finding himself without
      clothes in a crowded street. I remarked how the whole mood of soul in
      dream-consciousness is due to our confronting three different worlds.
      Looking at a dream of this kind in the right way, however, we see
      that although its content appears to belong to the realm of the
      senses, yet through this medium the spiritual-moral is seeking to
      reveal itself. Hence, anyone having such a dream ought not to look at
      the immediate, symbolic course it takes, but should ask himself:
      Haven't I sometimes had a tendency in daytime consciousness not to be
      completely truthful about myself with others? Haven't I perhaps been
      too fond of following the fashion in what I wear - altogether too apt
      to take refuge in convention? Is it not a characteristic of mine to
      give people a false impression of what I really am?
      "When anyone lets his thoughts take this course, he gradually
      arrives at the moral, spiritual interpretation of the dream. He says
      to himself: When during sleep I was in the supersensible world, I met
      with spiritual beings there - they told me that I should not be
      present in a cloak of falsehood, but as I really am inwardly, in soul
      and spirit.
      "When we interpret dreams in this way, we come to their moral,
      spiritual truth. A whole host of dreams can be interpreted thus." (24
      Aug. 1923, in: The Evolution of Consciousness, 1991, pp. 71-72)

      Take care, and give care.... Rick