"Resist Not Evil" (The Desert Cult)

  • rickbobbs
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 27, 2003
      Dear Folks;

      I'd like to continue to explore what the planet is up against, under
      a heading that gives a somewhat different image.

      To continue, I'd like to allay any impressions that I intend any
      racism or sectarianism, by further elaborating my view of 'desert'
      and 'cult'. All modern science seeks to characterise phenomena under
      groupings that can be summarized by qualities. Deserts are easily
      defined by anyone, but after several years of pondering I had to
      include urban and many modern agricultural situations as forms
      of 'desert'.
      Even seemingly 'green' suburbs usually have 70-80% of the land area
      covered by desertic roofs, parking lots, roads, etc. Extensive lawns
      mimic deserts in thermal and runoff characteristics, and simplicity
      of species diversity. There are a lot of detailed similarities. The
      abundance of dusts and gases (mostly toxic) and their ever-spreading
      nature, makes them comparable to 'volcanic deserts'.

      I'm not sure if one could find a period of human history with more,
      or more pervasive, cultic features. This is spreading through
      bureaucracy and attendant secrecy. Religious cult and secrecy is
      becoming picayune in the face of dictatorial corporate, government
      and military versions. Did anybody see Gearge Bush lately say that
      there was a vast amount going on that the American public was unaware
      of? And how did the retired head of the Mossad put it.... "The man in
      the street can't even think what's actually going on." !!

      As well as the ancient cults that grew out of the desperation of
      desert living, we now have modern cults growing deserts on formerly
      lush, stable landscapes at a desperate pace.

      The only way I can see out of this is Christ's ( and Buddha's)
      advice. Materialists, of course, are appalled, and I admit that I at
      first came to agree with the advice, mostly by considering and
      observing its opposite. How many definitions of 'evil', do you know?
      What pays the biggest price in the 'battles against evil'? The
      landscape! Blown up and burnt, poisoned and raped of resources in the
      frantic protection of national security against 'evil'. The hero
      succeeds by being more destructive and vicious than who he's fighting.
      Of course, unlike the movies, the real modern 'war against evil'
      kills mostly civilians - man, beast, or plant... it's more friends
      than enemies that are killed.

      Materialistically, these are just the facts. - but how can 'love your
      enemy' - 'turn the other cheek' - 'give away your wealth where it
      will do the most good and, living simply, improve yourself' - 'don't
      be anxious for tomorrow, the evil of the day is sufficient thereof',
      etc., etc., how can this effect positive change?

      It was only after observing Steiner's evidence, that the reasoning of
      these ancient sages began to emerge for me... an example of how this
      advice works in the evolution of each of us I lately posted under the
      heading 'Steiner was enlightened' at the elib.com forum.

      Take care and give care, Rick
    • LilOleMissy
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 27, 2003
        Thank you, Rick. I wonder if you might let us know about the elib forum and
        how to access it? I believe not everyone is aware of this.

        Cheers,

        Sheila

      • rickbobbs
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 30, 2003
          Dear Sheila; Sorry for the rather terse posting; I ran out of time
          and the posting I refer to gives the best idea of what I mean on
          short notice. Basically, Steiner provides a lot of evidence that the
          dealing with evil is in the hands of superhuman beings, and that when
          men arrogate that role, they do not become superhuman, but subhuman.
          The paths of Christ, as presaged by Buddha, point to the actual
          future evolution of the human. We have to defeat our own internal
          evil, and seeming external offences and injustices must be faced with
          a faith in God. Reincarnation is important here... as 3 -13 St. John
          insists, no man gets into heaven who hasn't come from it, and Steiner
          always quipped that those who believe in life after death should at
          least be consistant and consider life before birth.

          Elib.com is the one site I've found that has any amount of what
          Steiner actually wrote and said. Most others have lots of other
          peoples ideas.... and worse! (Some are disgusting jokes) James
          Stewart has posted about 400 lectures and several books, with the
          best index of lectures in English I've found. The forum address is
          www.elib.com/Steiner/Forums/eliboard.php3.

          I'm collecting a few more passages of Steiner's to illustrate my
          point about his view; I'll post them sometime soon.

          Take care and give care, Rick.
        • LilOleMissy
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 30, 2003
            Dear Rick and Friends,

            Thank you, Rick, for supplying the URL for the elib Forum, which no doubt
            shall prove of great interest to many, as well as sharing your thoughts
            that "dealing with evil is in the hands of superhuman beings, and that when
            men arrogate that role, they do not become superhuman, but subhuman." as
            you state below. Some of us, myself included, find this an interesting
            perspective, and one to most definitely ponder upon.

            James Stewart does indeed maintain with enormous devotion plus extremely
            difficult work a great number of Rudolf Steiner's works, as many of us have
            long been aware of and have contributed to from our own collections as well
            as adding to them. I've noticed over the years the various translations
            evolving from Steiner's original warmly careful and always enlightening
            repetitiousness towards a more concise "modern bluntness," so to say,
            although I can understand the wish of many to be faced with a more "popular
            format."

            It is kind of you to plan posting some of Steiner's passages, although I
            seem to recall his stating very often how his words should never be taken
            out of context, so to speak, but rather must remain with the whole while
            quoting him. It is becoming increasingly difficult for me to search through
            my Steiner library here at home, since a large portion of the more than
            4,000 lectures plus books in my possession antedate the changed titles as
            well as the GA numbers now used. I've found referencing by date and place
            seems to work best for me however slowly it goes.

            Thank you again, Rick, for sharing your always interesting thoughts.

            Sincerely,

            Sheila
            --Those who cannot hear the music think that the dancer is mad.

            rickbobbs <island.bobbs@...> wrote on 8/30/03 8:36:02 PM:
            > Dear Sheila; Sorry for the rather terse posting; I ran out of time
            > and the posting I refer to gives the best idea of what I mean on
            > short notice. Basically, Steiner provides a lot of evidence that the
            > dealing with evil is in the hands of superhuman beings, and that when
            > men arrogate that role, they do not become superhuman, but subhuman.
            > The paths of Christ, as presaged by Buddha, point to the actual
            > future evolution of the human. We have to defeat our own internal
            > evil, and seeming external offences and injustices must be faced with
            > a faith in God. Reincarnation is important here... as 3 -13 St. John
            > insists, no man gets into heaven who hasn't come from it, and Steiner
            > always quipped that those who believe in life after death should at
            > least be consistant and consider life before birth.
            >
            > Elib.com is the one site I've found that has any amount of what
            > Steiner actually wrote and said. Most others have lots of other
            > peoples ideas.... and worse! (Some are disgusting jokes) James
            > Stewart has posted about 400 lectures and several books, with the
            > best index of lectures in English I've found. The forum address is
            > www.elib.com/Steiner/Forums/eliboard.php3.
            >
            > I'm collecting a few more passages of Steiner's to illustrate my
            > point about his view; I'll post them sometime soon.
            >
            > Take care and give care, Rick.
          • rickbobbs
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4, 2003
              Dear Sheila;

              You wouldn't happen to know the dates of the eight lectures recently
              published as "The Fourth Dimension"? All I can find out is that they
              are from 1905-1908, and I can't afford to buy any more 'repeats' that
              I already have, just published under different titles.

              Thanks for the note and any help you can give... busy times right
              now, Rick
            • rickbobbs
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 6, 2003
                Dear Folks:
                Thanks everso to Starman for your prompt reply. I'm interested in
                confronting this book. The notion that Steiner ever encouraged the
                idea of a 'fourth dimension' is totally false, and only adds to a
                list of misconceptions that the "Astronomical-mathematical Section"
                has laid at Steiner's feet over the years. This is actually
                (consciously or unconsciously doesn't matter) a method that is well
                know to the Desert Cult, and employed by them either in suit and tie,
                or turban and robe; oddly enough in a lecture cycle where he also
                said, referring to higher perception "One turns back to the second
                dimension and the third disappears;" (I'll post the full quote),
                Steiner described this 'occult imprisonment' clearly, as follows:

                "I hope you will not take this as a lack of respect for science -
                I fully recognise science - but compared with the truth, such things
                as these, though they cannot be too highly praised and appreciated in
                their brilliancy at the present time, are yet but dilettante as
                compared with the reality. On the other hand they show how man's
                thought itself drives him, with abstract concepts of light-radiations
                and electrons, to enter a region in which the reality is to be found.
                It is simply a question of coming to the relity, and of bringing into
                all the ideas arising in all directions, and of which no use can be
                made, that impulse which drives even modern research into Spiritual
                domains. In certain occult circles foolish practices are carried on.
                People are taught all sorts of occult doctrines which do not lead to
                the ultimate point in which this life originated. They are given
                pictures, but are not led to the origin of the pictures, to that of
                which they are the image. Thus they are surrounded in their souls
                with a world of pictures, instead of having the feeling that they
                must learn through these pictures to know the Universe.
                "For this reason, after publishing my book `Theosophy', I followed
                it up with `Occult Science'. In the latter, what had been presented
                in pictures in `Theosophy' is carried into the reality of the Stellar
                world, in the evolution through Saturn, Sun and Moon. These two books
                complete each other.
                "If in any sphere a man is given nothing but pictures, he will be
                surrounded by them.
                "People who carry on wrong occult practices, do this with those
                pupils of whom they have not gained complete possession, and by this
                means the latter are, as it were, occultly imprisoned. In these
                occult prisons man is surrounded by pictures which are not
                comprehensible to him and from which he cannot escape. By this means
                many evil occult practices have been and still are being carried on.
                There are also Spiritual beings who lead man, or part of man, into
                these occult prisons. This is a quite similar phenomenon. These
                Spiritual beings are set free in nature if we have no Spiritual
                understanding of it, and regard it in such a way that the atomistic
                processes are taken as being naturalistic, which means denying the
                spirit in nature. The so-called Ahrimanic beings, striving in
                opposition to man, then become active in nature and deceive man with
                all sorts of pictures; thus he may be led into occult captivity by
                these Ahrimanic Spiritual beings.
                "A great number of what are to-day known as scientific conceptions
                of nature, - not the scientific facts (these are good), are nothing
                but the pictures of an universal captivity, the danger of which is
                hanging over the head of humanity. Such a danger exists in the fact
                that man is everywhere surrounded by atomic and molecular pictures.
                An occult custody surrounds us with these pictures and we cannot
                perceive the free Spiritual and stellar pictures, because the world
                of the atoms forms, as it were, the psychic walls which enclose us in
                a prison in which we are Spiritually confined." (30 Aug. 1923, in:
                The Evolution of the World and of Humanity, 1989, pp.237-238)
              • rickbobbs
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 8, 2003
                  Dear Folks;
                  Steiner, like any realistic scientist, always wanted us
                  to 'collect and correlate items of concrete knowledge'. Here is
                  another fact that relates to the direct methods referred to under
                  this heading:

                  "I hope you will not take what has been said to-day as
                  propagandism of any sort, but look upon it as expressing existing
                  facts. A man certainly must and ought to live with his times and when
                  anything is described, he should not look upon it as all that is to
                  be said on the subject; he should learn to strike the balance. It is
                  quite natural that the world to-day should be confronted with
                  impulses leading entirely to materialism. That cannot be prevented,
                  it is connected with the deep needs of the age. But a counterbalance
                  must be established. One very prominent means of driving man into
                  materialism is the cinematograph. It has not been observed from this
                  standpoint; but there is no better school for materialism than the
                  cinema. For what one sees there is not reality as men see it. Only an
                  age which has so little idea of reality as this age of ours, which
                  worships reality as an idol in a material sense, could believe that
                  the cinema represents reality. Any other age would consider whether
                  men really walk along the street as seen at the cinema; people would
                  ask themselves whether what they saw at such a performance really
                  corresponded to reality. Ask yourself frankly and honourably, what is
                  really most like what you see in the street: a picture painted by an
                  artist, an immobile picture, or the dreadful sparkling pictures of
                  the cinematograph. If you put the question to yourselves quite
                  honourably, you will admit that what the artist reproduces in a state
                  of rest is much more like what you see. Hence, while people are
                  sitting at the cinema, what they see there does not make its way into
                  the ordinary faculty of perception, it enters a deeper, more material
                  stratum than we usually employ for our perception. A man becomes
                  etherically goggle-eyed at the cinema; he develops eyes like those of
                  a seal, only much larger, I mean larger etherically. This works in a
                  materialising way, not only upon what he has in his consciousness,
                  but upon his deepest sub-consciousness. Do not think I am abusing the
                  cinematograph; I should like to say once more that it is quite
                  natural it should exist, and it will attain far greater perfection as
                  time goes on. That will be the road leading to materialism. But a
                  counterbalance must be established, and that can only be created in
                  the following way. With the search for reality which is being
                  developed in the cinema, with this descent below sense-perception,
                  man must at the same time develop an ascent above it, an ascent into
                  Spiritual reality. Then the cinema will do him no harm, and he can
                  see it as often as he likes. But unless the counterbalance is there,
                  people will be led by such things as these, not to have their proper
                  relation to the earth, but to become more and more closely related to
                  it, until at last they are entirely shut off from the Spiritual
                  world." (27 Feb. 1917, in: Cosmic and Human Metamorphoses, 1989, pp.
                  44-45)

                  Now, add to this the 'unreality presented as reality' that digital
                  special effects are able to instill, as Steiner says, not in peoples
                  consciousness, but in their subconscious.

                  Take care, and give care.... Rick.
                • LilOleMissy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 8, 2003
                    Dear Rick and Friends,

                    Thank you for bringing this to our attention, since it seems to me,
                    hopefully erroneously, few are aware of these facts. Steiner spoke quite a
                    bit regarding the deleterious effects of movies upon our inner being and
                    the influences thereby brought to bear upon not only ourselves, but
                    mankind, Spiritual Beings and the entire universe. I've found *Cosmic &
                    Human Metamorphosis* to be one of those "special" works speaking so very
                    much to me, but perhaps we all have certain works striking very deeply into
                    our very souls. It was also through this work that I understood something
                    regarding organ transplants, as well as many other concepts.

                    Cheers,

                    Sheila

                  • rickbobbs
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 9, 2003
                      >Dear Sheila, & Folks;
                      Thanks for the reply; I'd be very
                      interested in references to Steiner's other comments re: film. I know
                      that he warned about recordings as having deleterious, attractive
                      influences on departed souls (i.e., attracting them back to earthly
                      affairs), due to the penetrating power of voice, but I haven't
                      referenced that either. As a musician, I had an old prejudice
                      about 'dead guys' clogging up the industry, and disallowing the young
                      artists from making a reasonable living, or often even being heard;
                      but Steiner added quite another dimension to the problem!
                      I'd also appreciate your pointing to which Steiner comments
                      made you think of the issue of transplants as a 'health' method...
                      way back when, I wondered (and still do) how many otherwise healthy
                      children starve to death for the money spend keeping deathly
                      sick 'rich' folks going. Bad, bad Karma there. Also, have you
                      noticed? SARS and West Nile Virus are practically hysterical in the
                      press. I figure that's why the hundreds of sick US forces personnel
                      in Iraq have 'deadly pneumonia' instead of SARS - symptoms are the
                      same, death rate is the same (low), but if you said SARS, the press
                      would have to talk about it for months, whereas 'deadly pneumonia,
                      well... I've seen it reported once on CBS, then you don't have to
                      talk about it. And up here in Canada we've had 2 deaths from WNV...
                      but one of them was a 92 year old with pneumonia -But he died from
                      WEST NILE. Even a farce like that has to be talked up.

                      Take care and give care, Rick
                    • LilOleMissy
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 10, 2003
                        Dear Rick and All,

                        About Steiner's statements regarding the harm movies [and I'd guess TV
                        might also fall into the same category?] can cause, I don't recall where I
                        came across that point, but it seems to me he was speaking of the effects
                        upon man and the Spiritual Worlds and Beings of the emotions elicited from
                        us by this medium. In other words, our emotions, thoughts and feelings have
                        a direct effect upon the spiritual worlds, and certainly movies bring these
                        out as well as these not having a basis in fact since they are not due to
                        real life experiences we have. I'd agree about recordings, Rick, which I
                        seem to feel Steiner referred to as "canned" music, speech, etc. as opposed
                        to a real performance seen and heard "in person." Since I've played piano
                        most of my life, it was also interesting to me to read Steiner seemed to
                        place the piano "lower on the scale" of musical instruments, but it seems
                        to do with the absence of human breath [pneumotosophy, if I haven't errred
                        in spelling] being involved as one would find in the wind instruments.
                        Steiner seemed to me to compare music at times with the "Music of the
                        Spheres," and he certainly loved good music.

                        About the health issue I seemed to gain from "Human and Cosmic
                        Metamorphosis," it was during the time I was working in medicine in
                        relation to transplants and his words "liver is not always liver" opened up
                        a vast world for me! I could "see," so to say, the world seemingly adapting
                        to the concept of Body Parts Sold Here as we do to Auto Parts Sold Here -
                        clear and simple without regard to the enormously vast spiritual
                        implications involved. It's been my experience that most transplants are
                        not often used for old sick rich people, but for children. It all gives me
                        the feeling of Frankensteins being created, and for me it's an example of a
                        seeming "good" actually being "harmful" instead.

                        You mention SARS and West Nile Fever, both of which appear to be among the
                        so-called "arising diseases," so to say, as is HIV/AIDS. Off and on there
                        have been many diseases seemingly standing out more than perhaps others may
                        be, and I wonder if perhaps the potential as well as the newness of such
                        mostly "unheard of before" conditions may play a part in publicizing these
                        things. The potential deadliness of these things is definitely to be taken
                        seriously, it seems, as well as their seeming to be par for the course in
                        some way for these current times. Twice I myself have survived pneumonia as
                        well as other diseases and I feel many more exoteric as well as esoteric
                        diseases will be playing far more important roles in our lives and in the
                        world itself, but my feelings on these matters may perhaps be slanted due
                        to my work.

                        Next time, maybe we could hear more about your music? It's certainly a
                        great part of my life.

                        Cheers!
                        Sheila