Re: [steiner] Gospel time

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 2, 2000

      Jeff...

      My thoughts too, but everything happens for a reason, don't you think?

      Janet

      jla wrote:

      One additional point: My wife and I discussed this yesterday while on a nature walk: Isn't it curious (an understatement) that only a handful (maybe 6) out of maybe 200 (from five net groups) want to participate. Where is the level of dedication here? How much "effort" would it take to accept a good suggestion (in addition to other work that others may be doing during the 12 nights) and link up in this way? We are talking about maybe 30-45 minutes a day to read 22 pages (one chapter each day). Ummmm.

      Jeff

      "Duncan J. Fernando" wrote:

      Jeff,     It WILL be a majority vote (unlike some other elections). At the momentthere are 4 votes for St.John (1908) - Dr.Starman, Janet, Gisele, and myself.Please remind me who apart from yourself is voting for St.John (1909).            Sena
      http://www.esotericlinks.com Create a free homepage at http://www.esotericlinks.com/userpages/index.shtml mailto:sena@...
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2000
        Dear Jeff:

        I went to the polling site last night and it seem that there are 10 or
        11 of us so far. (I changed my vote to St. John's 1908 ISBN
        0-910142-13-0)
        I don't think I would be as interested in a discussion that includes 200
        people! I worked for the Green Party here in California for several
        years and our plenaries were long and exhausting, trying to reach
        consensus on many points.

        I wouldn't mind starting on the proper night, erev Christmas. In my own
        rhythm's which had been established by Judaism in the past, holidays
        always begin at sundown. As someone pointed out, sundown is at
        different times for us all but it could be seen as a wave crossing the
        earth following the sun's path, all of us beginning at sundown.

        Looking forward to the study.

        MFV
      • starmann77@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2000
          pacbay@... writes:
          << Isn't it curious (an understatement) that only a handful
          (maybe 6) out of maybe 200 (from five net groups) want to participate.
          Where is the level of dedication here? >>

          Many are called but few are chosen.

          But give people time, a lot of folks may not even have paid much attention to
          it yet. They may decide to participate in the next 3 weeks.
        • Danny F.
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2000
            > jla wrote:
            >
            > > One additional point: My wife and I discussed this yesterday while
            > on
            > > a nature walk: Isn't it curious (an understatement) that only a
            > > handful (maybe 6) out of maybe 200 (from five net groups) want to
            > > participate. Where is the level of dedication here? How much
            > "effort"
            > > would it take to accept a good suggestion (in addition to other
            > work
            > > that others may be doing during the 12 nights) and link up in this
            > > way? We are talking about maybe 30-45 minutes a day to read 22
            > pages
            > > (one chapter each day). Ummmm.
            > >
            > > Jeff

            I would have been delighted myself to participate, but thing is
            that I will be 'on the go' from Montr�al to Qu�bec city, then
            to Port-Perry Ontario, and to return to Montr�al after. But with
            Anthroposophia and in His name, I'm sure will stand at one.
            May the Holy Spirit come strong over the Earth.

            Best regards,
            Danny

            =====
            "No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings."
            --William Blake

            http://shopping.yahoo.com/
          • jla

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 3, 2000
                Morgan,

                My error or was this idea dual sided. I did not see this as a study session per se but a way also to offer something to the spiritual worlds. As most understand, reading spiritually potent and genuine materials have an impact on beings and the environment around us and higher worlds. Some may chose online study and summaries, others not. There is also some difference in opinion about the starting time. I don't think it really matters- the eve of the 24th or the day of the 25th. To Rosicrucian perspectives, the most holy night is the 24th since it is the end of the three day entombment of the Christ into the deepest aspect of the Earth's center. The period from the solstice to the midnight of the 24th is considered the holy three days.

                I fully agree with you about group consensus and discussion meetings. The problem often comes down to poor leadership and group intent. If people would give up personal agendas and egos and agree to a common goal and process, much can happen. Unfortunately this is difficult to achieve in the world of politics.

                Jeff

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 3, 2000
                  jla wrote:
                  No, I don't think everything happens for a " reason" unless we mean human reason not divine or spiritual influences. Let's face it, most of us are very busy with various priorities and often concentrated spiritual commitment is down the list of things to do.

                  They all sound like reasons to me. :)

                  Janet

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 3, 2000
                    Danny,

                    Bring the book with you and read before retiring???. It about the act not
                    when.

                    Jeff

                    "Danny F." wrote:

                    > > jla wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > One additional point: My wife and I discussed this yesterday while
                    > > on
                    > > > a nature walk: Isn't it curious (an understatement) that only a
                    > > > handful (maybe 6) out of maybe 200 (from five net groups) want to
                    > > > participate. Where is the level of dedication here? How much
                    > > "effort"
                    > > > would it take to accept a good suggestion (in addition to other
                    > > work
                    > > > that others may be doing during the 12 nights) and link up in this
                    > > > way? We are talking about maybe 30-45 minutes a day to read 22
                    > > pages
                    > > > (one chapter each day). Ummmm.
                    > > >
                    > > > Jeff
                    >

                    > I would have been delighted myself to participate, but thing is
                    > that I will be 'on the go' from Montréal to Québec city, then
                    > to Port-Perry Ontario, and to return to Montréal after. But with
                    > Anthroposophia and in His name, I'm sure will stand at one.
                    > May the Holy Spirit come strong over the Earth.
                    >
                    > Best regards,
                    > Danny
                    >
                    > =====
                    > "No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings."
                    > --William Blake

                  • jla

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 4, 2000
                        --- jla <pacbay@...> wrote:
                        > Danny,
                        >
                        > Bring the book with you and read before retiring???. It about the act
                        > not
                        > when.
                        >
                        > Jeff

                        I'll try...

                        I'll see if I can get the book in a bookstore over here.

                        Else I'll try to order it as soon as possible over the internet...

                        Best regards,
                        Danny

                        =====

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 4, 2000
                          Hmmmm...that sounds a bit judgmental, Jeff.  What may appear as excuses to some are valid reasons for others.
                          • They may not have the book, which I understand is out of print.
                          • They may already be in a study group.
                          • Some work 12-13 hour days in addition to pressing business and family obligations.
                          • Some spend 8 hours on a computer at work and have no desire to log on when they get home.
                          I don't believe that a lack of response is indicative of a lack spiritual commitment.

                          Janet

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 4, 2000
                            In a message dated 12/4/00 9:07:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                            premabrahma@... writes:

                            << I'll see if I can get the book in a bookstore over here.

                            Else I'll try to order it as soon as possible over the internet...

                            If anyone wants to buy the book, it's $16.01 from the Anthroposophic Press
                            (including $5 for UPS shipping). Or you can look for used copies at
                            www.bibliofind.com or bookfinders.com. The press is at this link:
                            <A HREF="http://www.anthropress.org/">ANTHROPOSOPHIC PRESS</A>
                          • jla
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 4, 2000
                              Again, not to beat a issue, :
                              • I just ordered the book and its available via AP Press direct on the net.
                              • Yes, I was being judgmental and I always include myself in this
                              • Study group commitments are a good point for some
                              • And finally, yes we are all busy but the commitment is not a big one. Anyone can crave away 30- 45 minutes a day for 12 days to read meditatively one chapter a day.
                              • Members do not have to have extra time to the net for study or discussion, if they do not want to. The central idea is to make a spiritual contribution to oneself, others who are interested (in one's family or friendship group) and to the Spirit by doing something at  the same time and with same content.

                              But, really, out of over 200 members (in five groups or more) only 5% responding? There may be some who did not "vote" and are going to be involved. I will accept that but in any endeavor -  political, social, or spiritual- this is not enough to make a change in anything.

                              Jeff

                              Janet wrote:

                              Hmmmm...that sounds a bit judgmental, Jeff.  What may appear as excuses to some are valid reasons for others.
                              • They may not have the book, which I understand is out of print.
                              • They may already be in a study group.
                              • Some work 12-13 hour days in addition to pressing business and family obligations.
                              • Some spend 8 hours on a computer at work and have no desire to log on when they get home.
                              I don't believe that a lack of response is indicative of a lack spiritual commitment.

                              Janet

                            • Duncan J. Fernando
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 5, 2000
                                Jeff,
                                     I would like to respond to your statement that, "in any endeavor -  political, social, or spiritual- this is not enough to make a change in anything. " I would disagree with that. Various sayings come to mind, such as "the leaven in a loaf of bread". In modern scientific theory, I think it's called "chaos theory", there is the idea that the fluttering of a single butterfly's wings could trigger a cyclone.
                                       Best regards,
                                            Sena

                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 5, 2000
                                  I guess it a matter of opinion. I see this reasoning as a bit of stretch. I tend to be an optimist by nature but am very practical in life. I do some athletic teaching and always notice when students do and do not work on their technique and game. (Racquetball and Squash). It is always apparent when we do not work on something- the results show. I cannot think this principle holds true in spiritual work as well. 50 lights will never be brighter than 200. I sense more and more in conversations with others, that the spiritual worlds are in dire straits and needs more of our light.  I am not being superior here. I am not a paragon of discipline either but as I grow older, I now see that commitment and regular discipline is an absolute. Nothing really can get transformed or changed without constancy and intention whether its ourselves . This is all I was alluding to in this reading exercise. The new work called First Steps in Inner Development by RS covers this in some detail.
                                   Though some effort is always good, if not enough leavening is added we get a flatten loft. The hundredth monkey idea has some merit but I think Al Gore wished more people got out and voted.

                                  ----