Re: [steiner] Digest Number 573

  • sarah
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17, 2003
      Hi Sheila!
      I don't know a lot about MRA. What I do know is it stands for Moral
      Re-armament and has its headquarters in Switzerland. It originated in the US
      as The Oxford Group in the 1930s or 40s by Frank Buchman, and was inspired
      by the World Wars of the time. Here's a website I just found that explains
      it more thoroughly;
      http://www.mraindia.org/mra.htm
      There are more indepth websites that take more objective stances.

      Today they have changed a lot from what they were and have instituted the
      'Forgiveness Factor', which encourages meetings between past rival
      cultures/religions, ie forgiveness between Christians and Moslems, Black and
      White South Africans and so on. I started a yahoogroup to find out more.
      Only one person joined; ie the one in question. Our discussions remained
      cordial until I suggested that a lot of MRA 'forgiveness choices' were
      stereotyped and that it would be a very healing gesture for America to be
      forgiven for her past wrongs! After saying this the gentleman in question
      became increasingly belligerent, intimidating and insulting. I stopped
      responding at that point and after about 10 more posts, he fizzled out. Now
      he turns up here! LOL! Actually I think he's unsubbed, or is back under
      another nom de plume. 'Ishtar Must Die', in the light you explain it,
      suggests to me there is a little misogyny lurking! Steve, if you are still
      here, may I suggest finally 'forgiving' Ishtar?

      Actually, I'd be interested in anyone else's ideas on the MRA movement and
      if there is any anthropological perspective.

      Nice to hear from you Sheila,
      Sarah

      Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 07:35:26 -0700
      From: "LilOleMissy" <lilolemissy@...>
      Subject: RE: Re: Digest Number 569

      Dear Sarah and Friends,

      I plead total ignorance as to what MRA is, Sarah, and would be grateful to
      know what it is? In all honesty, America does seem to be a mess in so very
      many ways, and I say that as an American who loves her country. Not only
      that, but I live in California, "The Land of Fruits and Nuts!" :) ACK! But
      it does go to illustrate how "things" aren't always as they seem, I think?

      I was really interested in your experience with Iranians and their "black
      magic," since such matters seem far more widespread than perhaps most of us
      realize. As a child growing up in New Orleans, I often came across
      "strange" happenings among some of the people there, mostly those from the
      various islands and island nations such as Barbados, Bermuda, Haiti, etc.,
      and later came some similar "strange" things among some of the American
      Indian Tribes. I've read about the aborigines in places such as Australia
      with their "dreaming" and "questionable" practices, so it would seem a
      world-wide influence among many. I'd really enjoy hearing more about your
      experiences.

      Where is it that Steiner speaks of Ishtar and Eabani [?] - this is in
      relation to the ishtarmustdie name, which seems to make good sense to me.
      There's something about Ishtar, a Goddess who is morally "questionable"
      around men, having seduced Eabani and thereby having bound him to the Earth
      in a way he did not wish, forcing him deeper into physical matter with even
      more struggling to regain even his former status in the Spiritual Worlds.
      Gilgamesh becomes jealous, of course, further complicating matters, and one
      is able to understand WHY Ishtar must die....i.e. the Physical must
      transform itself into the Spiritual.

      Sarah, it's good to see you posting again - we've all become far too silent
      on the list but then who am I to speak?! :)

      Blessings,

      Sheila
    • LilOleMissy
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 18, 2003
        Dear Sarah,

        WOW! I really want to thank you for the MRA information and you're right
        about the web site. I didn't have time to read it as thoroughly as I intend
        to ASAP, but it certainly seems to go along with truly great concepts! I
        wonder if the Quakers are into it as well, even though Buchman apparently
        wasn't a Quaker at all. Didn't Steiner say something about the Quakers
        being the closest to Anthroposophy in their love and practices? I'll look
        into it more, and especially about the Forgiveness Factor the entire world
        might take to heart, and it seems to me it could well apply to the Epic of
        Gilgamesh with Ishtar's role which Steiner mentioned so often. He may have
        mentioned it in his "Gospel of St. Matthew," which I'm trying to digest bit
        by bit - AGAIN! :) Thanks, Gal! And besides all that coming as a Gift, I
        was happy to hear from you down there in beautiful Perth in the gorgeous
        land of OZ! I doubt that little tyke is so little any longer! Do you still
        have your web site?

        Blessings,

        Sheila