Crusades

  • sarah
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2003
      Dear Matthew,
      You recently alluded to an essay you wrote about an alternative view of the Crusades. I'm really interested in reading it - would you send it to the list?
      Thanks,

      *¸..· ´¨¨))  -:¦:-                  *                             ¸..· ´¨¨))  -:¦:-   *
           ¸.·´ .   -:¦:-   *     Sarah   *  -:¦:-
                       ..·´   ((¸¸.·´*  -:¦:-    ((¸¸.·´*
                                                           -:¦:-

                                                              *
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2003
        Unfortunately I haven't got around to writing any thing substantial
        on the Crusades or the Holy Wars. The only thing I've written thus
        far on the subject is a few sentences that were contained in an essay
        that got me into hot water with my English professor (who is actually
        a pretty nice guy, by the way). He was apalled by my understanding
        of the Holy Wars and how imperitive I thought they were in stopping
        the expansion of Islamic culture. In less politically correct times,
        even as little as ten-fifteen years ago, historian could actually
        boast about the glories of Christian history. Now that has become
        taboo. Christian Crusaders, clothed in full armour, drove Muslim
        culture out of Spain and out of much of Europe and forced them
        backwards into what is now their present positions in the Middle
        East; and although violent attrocities occured, winning those long,
        bloody, series of wars greatly benefitted Christendom.

        Mathew Morrell
        http://kcpost.net/
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2003
          tma4cbt@... writes:
          Unfortunately I haven't got around to writing any thing substantial
          on the Crusades or the Holy Wars.  The only thing I've written thus
          far on the subject is a few sentences that were contained in an essay
          that got me into hot water with my English professor (who is actually
          a pretty nice guy, by the way).  He was appalled by my understanding
          of the Holy Wars and how imperative I thought they were in stopping
          the expansion of Islamic culture.  In less politically correct times,
          even as little as ten-fifteen years ago, historians could actually
          boast about the glories of Christian history.  Now that has become
          taboo. Christian Crusaders, clothed in full armour, drove Muslim
          culture out of Spain and out of much of Europe and forced them
          backwards into what is now their present positions in the Middle
          East; and although violent attrocities occured, winning those long,
          bloody, series of wars greatly benefitted Christendom.

          Mathew Morrell
          http://kcpost.net/

          *******In fact, just as the Battle of Salamis, where the Greeks stopped the advance of the Persians westward, would have meant the death of Western civilization (with its freedom and championing of the individuality) had it gone the other way, so too Charles Martel and the others who fought the decisive battles turning back Islam saved the Christ-Impulse within it from being exterminated. In olden times men, like Joan of Arc, were often used by higher spiritual beings to do important things which they could not see all of the reason for at the time, but we have the freedoms we have now because of them---freedom which fundamentalist Islam denies and would extinguish.

             The "politically correct" ideologues basing themselves on materialism & Marxism (in which all religion is the 'opiate of the masses' and therefore nothing was ever done for a spiritual reason) have their forum in academia, but they only distort history and make people's actions and motives in the past incomprehensible. Their words have no relation to reality. The true realities are always hidden from that kind of thinking. The plain, ordinary understanding of history held by people for generations is usually right, while the cynical, 'sophisticated' one is usually dead wrong.

        • LilOleMissy
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2003
            Dear Mathew,

            This is really exciting to me and I've always been totally fascinated by this
            period of history! I seem to recall reading the Catholic Popes were married
            at the time, and I so hope you will soon be coming down with "Writers' Itch"
            and place your thoughts within our reach. It's strange how vistages of
            Islamic thought seem to continue to persist in the Western world due to these
            Crusades in metamorphoses - Ah, Walter Scott's tales of knights, jostings, et
            al - but I think [?] Steiner speaks of the spread of Islam, or Mohammadism as
            I belive he may have phrased it - as it spread from the Moors of North Africa
            [as well as elsewhere, too] into Spain. ACK! Just think of the horrible
            Spanish Inquisition and the vast materialism seemingly arising from just this
            Islamic thought! Wasn't it Francis Bacon who influenced this spread to much?
            Regardless, it seems all good men of noble lineage made the trek to fight in
            the Crusades, and even now the Islamics of those ancient areanas so often
            seem to wish to compare today's US involvement in the Middle East as yet
            another Crusade. What is it Steiner says about such things repeating
            themselves only in a different way? This isn't to say the Iraq War and Middle
            Eastern turmoil is a modern Crusade based upon the old, but it's interesting
            how current events play out to some extent in the UR, so to say, or Biblical
            history.

            Thanks for letting us know you haven't forgotten. Not all of us have such a
            gift for writing!

            Blessings,

            Sheila