Steiner's Basic Books- Pt. 4

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2003
         Summing up what was posted the past few weeks about the main books and ideas of Rudolf Steiner's anthroposophy:

          "One may approach anthroposophy in ways that have little to do with books: through eurythmy, or speech, or acting, or through practical work with farming or medicine or teaching. But as far as reading goes, the fundamental works to study are:
      1. Steiner's philosophical works, for instance Die Philosophy der Freiheit (The Philosophy of Spiritual Activity)
      2. Christianity As Mystical Fact And The Mysteries of Antiquity
      3. Theosophy : An Introduction to the Supersensible Knowledge of the World and the Destination of Man
      4. Cosmic Memory :Atlantis and Lemuria
      5. Knowledge of the Higher Worlds and Its Attainment (now published as How To Know Higher Worlds} and its sequel, The Stages of Higher Knowledge
      6. The Education of the Child In The Light of Spiritual Science
      7. An Outline of Occult Science {now published as An Outline of Esoteric Science}.

      And the basic ideas of Anthroposophy are:
      1. The reality of thinking and free will
      2. The existence of higher knowledge gained by Initiation
      3. The higher members of the being of man
      4. The life between death and rebirth, reincarnation & karma
      5. The Nine Hierarchies and their relationship to Man
      6. Christ and the "Mystery of Golgotha"
      7. The Saturn, Sun, Moon and Earth evolutions.

          I already posted a brief summary of Steiner's main philosophical work, The Philosophy of Spiritual Activity, and we read it together here online for Christmas 2001 (any member can read our group study in the archives); and we took up and read Christianity As Mystical Fact for Christmas 2002.  These two books can be thought of as corresponding to the first two major ideas of anthroposophy---the reality of thinking & free will, and the reality of higher knowledge or initiation. Then, what a scientifically trained mind gains THROUGH initiation----for instance, what is shown by the Akashic Records----is presented in the other main books from Theosophy on.
         We started to do a study of Theosophy once here, but there was not enough interest then; perhaps there is now.  And we are celebrating the 100th anniversary of the publication of Knowledge of the Higher Worlds and Cosmic Memory, so I was thinking about putting selections from them here.