Re: [steiner] Digest Number 548

  • Sarah Ford Elliott
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2003
      Thank you for the description of the preparatory exercises which I
      thought was particularly lucid. I have tried the first exercise and I
      have to say that, whilst it doesn't sound as exciting or mystical as
      some exercises that you read about in more "new agey" books of
      spiritual exercises, I found it to be really profound. It has allowed
      me to experience a completely different relationship with the things
      around me.

      Firstly it became very clear that all man-made objects involved very
      unnecessary, complicated and... well unpleasant processes:
      manufacturing, packaging, marketing, transportation. But it also
      brought home to me that all these things have their origin in the
      natural world. The first object I chose to meditate on was a glass
      tumbler: I cannot look at a glass now in the same way without realising
      that it is made out of what was many years ago sand and small shellfish
      swimming around in a world that I can only begin to imagine. It makes
      you more conscious of what you are consuming and how you use things and
      how we should be acting in the world.

      More recently I meditated on one of the children's wax crayons and that
      felt much better - nicer processes involved in a "proper Steiner"
      company! The object I am meditating on at the moment is a bean. I
      wanted to try something that wasn't man-made. The bean is an amazing
      experience. I'm not sure if it is what I should be doing, but I end up
      being the bean deep in the Earth compelled to grow by the forces of
      water and the sun, growing into the light, flowering and producing many
      new beans. Since I am going to be a Class 1 teacher in September I
      think this is a good image for me to have!!

      The will exercise is definitely the hardest for me. Since I am a fairly
      calm, open person anyway the later exercises are not such a problem.
      The other thing I wondered is, if one (or more) of the exercises
      becomes easy, should you still practice it out of discipline or not?
      For example, I am always open to new ideas (I think since reading
      Rosicrucian Wisdom last Summer I can now take anything on board!)
      Should I practice that exercise nonetheless?

      Yours,
      Sarah FE