Re: [steiner] Wal Mart Special

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2003
      In a message dated 7/9/2003 11:43:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tma4cbt@... writes:

      Dear Group,

      I had somewhat of a revelation while visiting Wal-Mart last weekend.
      It wasn't a spiritual revelation, mind you. It was the kind of
      revelation that comes from watching people rummage through Corn-Nuts
      or dodging old ladies moping down the aisle in time to make the Blue
      Light special.  It was a Twilight Zone revelation, an overwhelming
      feeling of strangness.  The Wal-Mark customer look so odd!  And by
      odd I mean mentally ill.  A look of derrangment seems to hover in the
      air, mixed with the smell of body odor and cleaning solution, and the
      incense from the wax in the candle department.  Nowhere else do I
      feel such a strong impression of  insanity, except, maybe, at other
      urban discount stores like Wal Mart.  Money, I think, has nothing to
      do with it, either.  I used to be poor myself, I used to live in a
      ten foot camper, but I at least showered, I washed my hair, I used
      deoderant, I kept my body in fair condition, kept a head above the
      poverty, and my hero back then was Saint Francis.  The Wal-Mark type
      we're seeing manifest in contemporary society are really starting to
      decline spiritually beneath the average human, beneath the ability of
      basic grooming habits.  Many of them ---not all--- seem depressed,
      hung over, dirty, decadent, obese.

      ******It's a perception which is too easy to have. The thing is, we are cautioned by the Doctor never to use a human being as merely an object of observation--- like mad scientists do to people in movies. The Christ lives in each one, He's just more concealed in some than in others.

         But as far as the madness mankind is exhibiting more and more--- it's the result of mankind as a whole going across the "Threshold" to the Spiritual World, the result of a planetary initiation. Higher beings are no longer doing things for us as they used to, because the time has come where we must keep ourselves in balance by our own efforts. We're not, most of us, doing all that good of a job of it!

    • golden3000997@cs.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2003
        Hi Everyone!

        It's interesting, too, that if you do a search for Rudolf Steiner on Yahoo,
        you will find his books for sale at Wal-mart! : )

        Having commuted to work every day on the Miami public buses, I have had to
        deal with more than my fair share of bums, crazies and criminals - and at close
        range! Having been mugged four times, my sympathy is not all that high. But I
        do try to see the bigger picture and all of the social and spiritual forces at
        work. Life is so very complex at all levels. Sometimes, the most I am capable
        of is to say inside, "God bless him (or her)," because I am still not
        developed enough to do so. One of my favorite sayings is from Lucy of "Peanuts" fame,

        "I love humanity, it's people I can't stand."

        Hang on to your sense of humor - you're going to need it!

        Christine
      • Julie Heynssens
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10, 2003
          I only go into Wal-Mart about once a year because it
          gives me the creeps. There is something about all
          those people mindlessly putting their products into
          their carts. Half the time they don't even look at
          what they are buying. It makes me think of parasites
          consuming mindlessly without thinking of the
          consequences.

          Have Fun,

          Julie

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • LilOleMissy
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 10, 2003
            Dear Group,

            Mathew, I was happy to see your statement of living in a 10 foot
            camper since I joyfully reviewed a kaleidoscope condensed from many
            years of camping here and there with 2 growing children and a huge
            dog! What wonderful scenes of domesticity took place as I beat
            laundry on river stones, in buckets or ocean tides while all of us
            bathed and lived with enormous initiative, gratitude and wonderous
            discoveries so close to the Goddess Natura Herself. The Art of
            Cooking under stones and ground while listening to those sounds only
            wild places grace us with were blessings for both children as well
            as myself. Would that every being share in such marvels! Julie, and
            All, it seems to me Wal-Mart customers exhibit essentially the same
            "behavior" as is to be seen in other commercial enclosures, be they
            I. Magnum, Sears, Gucci and on and on, but perhaps the seeming
            "shrinking" of the world itself into a commonality of purpose of
            sorts as though poised into a "waiting game" of some kind might be a
            factor. Here in California there seems to exist a diversity of
            humanity perhaps not always observed universally - I have neither
            the wisdom nor the knowledge to discriminate too many of the finer
            points, and for quite some years I seem to have mentally visualized
            what I can only coin as a "lemming" mode of collective
            behavior/action dispersed seemingly evenly among mankind but with
            beautifully hopeful exceptions here and there. May we find and
            maintain these hopeful exceptions for ourselves and share them with
            others.

            Blessings,

            Sheila

            I only go into Wal-Mart about once a year because it
            gives me the creeps. There is something about all
            those people mindlessly putting their products into
            their carts. Half the time they don't even look at
            what they are buying. It makes me think of parasites
            consuming mindlessly without thinking of the
            consequences.

            Have Fun,

            Julie

            --- Mathew Morrell <tma4cbt@...> wrote:
            > Dear Group,
            >
            > I had somewhat of a revelation while visiting
            > Wal-Mart last weekend.
            > It wasn't a spiritual revelation, mind you. It was
            > the kind of
            > revelation that comes from watching people rummage
            > through Corn-Nuts
            > or dodging old ladies moping down the aisle in time
            > to make the Blue
            > Light special. It was a Twilight Zone revelation,
            > an overwhelming
            > feeling of strangness. The Wal-Mark customer look
            > so odd! And by
            > odd I mean mentally ill. A look of derrangment
            > seems to hover in the
            > air, mixed with the smell of body odor and cleaning
            > solution, and the
            > incense from the wax in the candle department.
            > Nowhere else do I
            > feel such a strong impression of insanity, except,
            > maybe, at other
            > urban discount stores like Wal Mart. Money, I
            > think, has nothing to
            > do with it, either. I used to be poor myself, I
            > used to live in a
            > ten foot camper, but I at least showered, I washed
            > my hair, I used
            > deoderant, I kept my body in fair condition, kept a
            > head above the
            > poverty, and my hero back then was Saint Francis.
            > The Wal-Mark type
            > we're seeing manifest in contemporary society are
            > really starting to
            > decline spiritually beneath the average human,
            > beneath the ability of
            > basic grooming habits. Many of them ---not all---
            > seem depressed,
            > hung over, dirty, decadent, obese.
            >
            > The prices are good, though. I bought an espresso
            > machine, then went
            > home and made a decaff latte. They're to die for.
            >

            > Mathew Morrell
            > http://kcpost.net/

            http://sbc.yahoo.com

            ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
            Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US &
            Canada.
            We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark, Canon & more.
            http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/kP..SB/49VGAA/ySSFAA/wpWolB/TM

            Search the archives of the group at:

            Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at: