Wal Mart Special

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9 8:42 PM
      Dear Group,

      I had somewhat of a revelation while visiting Wal-Mart last weekend.
      It wasn't a spiritual revelation, mind you. It was the kind of
      revelation that comes from watching people rummage through Corn-Nuts
      or dodging old ladies moping down the aisle in time to make the Blue
      Light special. It was a Twilight Zone revelation, an overwhelming
      feeling of strangness. The Wal-Mark customer look so odd! And by
      odd I mean mentally ill. A look of derrangment seems to hover in the
      air, mixed with the smell of body odor and cleaning solution, and the
      incense from the wax in the candle department. Nowhere else do I
      feel such a strong impression of insanity, except, maybe, at other
      urban discount stores like Wal Mart. Money, I think, has nothing to
      do with it, either. I used to be poor myself, I used to live in a
      ten foot camper, but I at least showered, I washed my hair, I used
      deoderant, I kept my body in fair condition, kept a head above the
      poverty, and my hero back then was Saint Francis. The Wal-Mark type
      we're seeing manifest in contemporary society are really starting to
      decline spiritually beneath the average human, beneath the ability of
      basic grooming habits. Many of them ---not all--- seem depressed,
      hung over, dirty, decadent, obese.

      The prices are good, though. I bought an espresso machine, then went
      home and made a decaff latte. They're to die for.

      Mathew Morrell
      http://kcpost.net/
    • M.Telford
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9 8:56 PM
        Just a question following on Mathew Morrells observation. Some time back, I
        asked myself the question;

        " Why did Christ Jesus turn over all the stalls at the markets on the
        Sabbath?"

        Given that every word and every deed of this highest on high of Cosmic
        Being, was `pregnant and poignant' with meaning, what was the inner message
        of what He did, a message to last for all time.

        I am too cynical to believe the message was at the common mundane level of
        every day life, on money, economics, the belief in the 7th day being a day
        of worship etc. Through Anthroposophy one knows that the true meaning will
        be well hidden and have Cosmic ramifications.

        I would be interested in any body else's thoughts on this

        Regards,
        MT

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9 10:47 PM
          In a message dated 7/9/2003 11:43:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tma4cbt@... writes:

[...]

          ******It's a perception which is too easy to have. The thing is, we are cautioned by the Doctor never to use a human being as merely an object of observation--- like mad scientists do to people in movies. The Christ lives in each one, He's just more concealed in some than in others.

             But as far as the madness mankind is exhibiting more and more--- it's the result of mankind as a whole going across the "Threshold" to the Spiritual World, the result of a planetary initiation. Higher beings are no longer doing things for us as they used to, because the time has come where we must keep ourselves in balance by our own efforts. We're not, most of us, doing all that good of a job of it!

        • golden3000997@cs.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 10 5:36 AM
            Hi Everyone!

            It's interesting, too, that if you do a search for Rudolf Steiner on Yahoo,
            you will find his books for sale at Wal-mart! : )

            Having commuted to work every day on the Miami public buses, I have had to
            deal with more than my fair share of bums, crazies and criminals - and at close
            range! Having been mugged four times, my sympathy is not all that high. But I
            do try to see the bigger picture and all of the social and spiritual forces at
            work. Life is so very complex at all levels. Sometimes, the most I am capable
            of is to say inside, "God bless him (or her)," because I am still not
            developed enough to do so. One of my favorite sayings is from Lucy of "Peanuts" fame,

            "I love humanity, it's people I can't stand."

            Hang on to your sense of humor - you're going to need it!

            Christine
          • Julie Heynssens
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 10 9:30 AM
              I only go into Wal-Mart about once a year because it
              gives me the creeps. There is something about all
              those people mindlessly putting their products into
              their carts. Half the time they don't even look at
              what they are buying. It makes me think of parasites
              consuming mindlessly without thinking of the
              consequences.

              Have Fun,

              Julie

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • LilOleMissy
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 10 12:06 PM
                Dear Group,

                Mathew, I was happy to see your statement of living in a 10 foot
                camper since I joyfully reviewed a kaleidoscope condensed from many
                years of camping here and there with 2 growing children and a huge
                dog! What wonderful scenes of domesticity took place as I beat
                laundry on river stones, in buckets or ocean tides while all of us
                bathed and lived with enormous initiative, gratitude and wonderous
                discoveries so close to the Goddess Natura Herself. The Art of
                Cooking under stones and ground while listening to those sounds only
                wild places grace us with were blessings for both children as well
                as myself. Would that every being share in such marvels! Julie, and
                All, it seems to me Wal-Mart customers exhibit essentially the same
                "behavior" as is to be seen in other commercial enclosures, be they
                I. Magnum, Sears, Gucci and on and on, but perhaps the seeming
                "shrinking" of the world itself into a commonality of purpose of
                sorts as though poised into a "waiting game" of some kind might be a
                factor. Here in California there seems to exist a diversity of
                humanity perhaps not always observed universally - I have neither
                the wisdom nor the knowledge to discriminate too many of the finer
                points, and for quite some years I seem to have mentally visualized
                what I can only coin as a "lemming" mode of collective
                behavior/action dispersed seemingly evenly among mankind but with
                beautifully hopeful exceptions here and there. May we find and
                maintain these hopeful exceptions for ourselves and share them with
                others.

                Blessings,

                Sheila

                I only go into Wal-Mart about once a year because it
                gives me the creeps. There is something about all
                those people mindlessly putting their products into
                their carts. Half the time they don't even look at
                what they are buying. It makes me think of parasites
                consuming mindlessly without thinking of the
                consequences.

                Have Fun,

                Julie

                --- Mathew Morrell <tma4cbt@...> wrote:
                > Dear Group,
                >
                > I had somewhat of a revelation while visiting
                > Wal-Mart last weekend.
                > It wasn't a spiritual revelation, mind you. It was
                > the kind of
                > revelation that comes from watching people rummage
                > through Corn-Nuts
                > or dodging old ladies moping down the aisle in time
                > to make the Blue
                > Light special. It was a Twilight Zone revelation,
                > an overwhelming
                > feeling of strangness. The Wal-Mark customer look
                > so odd! And by
                > odd I mean mentally ill. A look of derrangment
                > seems to hover in the
                > air, mixed with the smell of body odor and cleaning
                > solution, and the
                > incense from the wax in the candle department.
                > Nowhere else do I
                > feel such a strong impression of insanity, except,
                > maybe, at other
                > urban discount stores like Wal Mart. Money, I
                > think, has nothing to
                > do with it, either. I used to be poor myself, I
                > used to live in a
                > ten foot camper, but I at least showered, I washed
                > my hair, I used
                > deoderant, I kept my body in fair condition, kept a
                > head above the
                > poverty, and my hero back then was Saint Francis.
                > The Wal-Mark type
                > we're seeing manifest in contemporary society are
                > really starting to
                > decline spiritually beneath the average human,
                > beneath the ability of
                > basic grooming habits. Many of them ---not all---
                > seem depressed,
                > hung over, dirty, decadent, obese.
                >
                > The prices are good, though. I bought an espresso
                > machine, then went
                > home and made a decaff latte. They're to die for.
                >

                > Mathew Morrell
                > http://kcpost.net/

                http://sbc.yahoo.com

                ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
                Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US &
                Canada.
                We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark, Canon & more.
                http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/kP..SB/49VGAA/ySSFAA/wpWolB/TM

                Search the archives of the group at:

                Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at: