The Rosicrucian Path

    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2003
      *******I thought people here might find interesting a discussion we just had on the 'Anthroposophy' list (which usually has very little Anthroposophy on it, mostly politics or a person's alleged "channeling"). It started when someone asked if there was an anthroposophical angle on Christianity, and, incredibly, got no real answer. So I answered:

      *******We know from Anthroposophy that there are three paths to the spirit--- the old yogic one, the Christian devotional one, and the modern "Rosicrucian" one. The Christian devotional one was a path of feeling, a path of initiation with the thinking left out.  It is no longer appropriate for most modern-day humans. The modern one has to do with science, objective knowledge, and the will. It involves thinking exercises, CONSCIOUS feeling exercises and exercising the will.

         Now, a person following this path eventually has an encounter with a being which, if he has a Christian upbringing, he will quickly recognize as the Christ. (If he does not, he may call it by another name.) See, for instance, Steiner's lecture " The Death of a God And Its Fruits in Humanity"  of May 5th 1912.

        So the "anthroposophic angle" on the Christ Being is that it is an objective reality which a spiritual scientist contacts, and which contact can be induced by a specific path of training rather than left to luck. When following this training, we also learn to distinguish the true spiritual reality from false copies, and we also find that there are "false Christs" or in other words phantom images of the real one, which certain erroneous spiritual paths induce, as can be seen in many 'Christian' churches today. One can distinguish these from the real one with training as easily as the eye distinguishes red from blue.

         Our "anthroposophical angle" is thus rather like ours could be said to be on painting--- in that, while many people just jump into painting and do it by pure irrational feeling with no thinking involved, doing nothing consciously, a painter pursuing painting as a spiritual path through Anthroposophy accompanies his Will and feeling with clear thinking about darkness in front of light, light in front of darkness, warm and cool colors, etc. What is produced is the result of training and conscious action.

          Similarly, what a spiritual scientist says about Buddha or Christ does not come from the realm of blind faith, but of knowledge, arrived at by specific exercises as part of a comprehensive training. Once this is achieved, insight may be gained into old religious traditions, which merely passing on the traditions without this knowledge does not include.

      The questioner on the list then responded:

      Thanks for this clear explanation.  What is the Rosicrucian path by the way?  and are there any Anthroposophists now or passed who accomplished what Steiner did; and if not, why hasn't this path produced more initiates and seers that can continue his visionary work?

      *******The "Rosicrucian" path is what Steiner outlines in Knowledge of the Higher Worlds, using definite experimental exercises with plants, crystals, sound etc. Few do more than read this book, that's the reason. Doing the exercises is the only thing that can cause changes in the astral and etheric bodies, not merely reading about them.

         Nowadays many people say they are studying spiritual science but they have never done any of these, whereas Steiner's direct pupils would be told to perform these to acheive specific results they wanted, and so they did. If spiritual science was just Rudolf Steiner, it would never have survived him, but actually he initiated a large group of pupils---Ehrenfried Pfeiffer, Eugen Kolisko, Carl Unger, Elizabeth Vreede, Walter Johannes Stein, and many others. They did not get as far as Steiner, but each made achievements in his or her own right.

          Unfortunately, Anthroposophy does not work in inducing higher knowledge so long as one only takes it in with the speculative intellect, and too many people do only that. It's something that needs to be taken up as a way of life, with the whole being, including, for instance, using the very personal forces we move our bodies with. Many people also confuse it with other half-conscious or subconscious paths, like Eastern or pagan ones, because they want to abandon reason. This path is not one like that: it's constantly directed by your conscious rational mind. Not taking it up enough, or taking up in a wrong way, is the reason for the poor results often exhibited.

      That led to the following questions:

      *******Sure, just as priests dedicate their entire bodies to performing a ritual, or athletes will adopt an 'ascetic' way of life to prepare for a competition, or a dancer will dedicate her entire being to her art, so the pursuit of spiritual science involves not only the head, but must go into the whole of life--- all your deeds, one by one.  You can't take it up only with the intellect and leave aside how you speak, the things you do in daily life, etc. It has to work into and transform all the layers of your being. Your every word and gesture has to be thought through and performed from out of your study, as in performing a ritual. Steiner said that in the future, a scientist working at his laboratory table would come to regard it as it his altar. for instance.

      >>Since I have some experience with Yoga and Zen, I am not quite clear about what you mean here  ("half-conscious or subconscious paths, like Eastern or pagan ones"). The wakefulness "exercises" in Zen and Vapassina meditation demand a high degree of conscious attention and not falling asleep. It is an active/passive observing process. It is certainly not semi conscious. In fact, during these practices, psychic experiences are common with lights being seen, color phenomena, etc. but its rarely talked about. Buddhism is highly reasonable and logical in its own way. The question I have then- why is reason so often considered the enemy of consciousness and spiritual work by virtually every other path?

      *******There are what I meant by 'Eastern' paths and then there are some that have combined  their older elements with more modern, Western consciousness. I meant the ones that negate the use of the intellect and instead focus on breathing and other subconscious processes of the body,

         The reason was often stated by Steiner, that these ancient Asian paths worship  the life forces-- which we once had the use of before the modern intellect came into being. Their traditions recall a time when we had the use of these forces, and then what they perceived as 'lower' intellectual knowledge arose-- and therefore they teach that this has to be put aside in order to get the other back.

         But the path of spiritual science involves changing the abstract intellect into a LIVING thinking, one which will not block the life forces, but rather lets them through. Some paths have this understanding that one's awareness must be increased, as anthroposophy does, while others go around consciousness and use subconscious stuff. We know that this opens you up to the influence of lower beings.

      >>The conventional reasoning process does not do well with experiences that "defy"
      reason at times ( like having a clear sense of separation of the "self" from the physical body.This form of spiritual discrimination is part of all paths, it seems.

      ******But actually pure thinking, reasoning about whatever you observe, IS carried over into the body-free state. It's a falsehood that our thinking is only good for sense-perceptible objects: it is good for anything observed, through any senses, including those of the soul and the spirit. When the self is separated from the physical body, it does indeed use reason--- only pure reason, pure thinking, as in mathematics and geometry, not the mere 'having of thought-images' that most people use in daily life, which is dependent on the body.

      And the questioner then responded:
      >>That was great ( about the Rosicrucian Path and the blending of East and West in some "eastern approaches" now in use. But I have a question about this below.Can you or Steiner or someone else describe exactly how pure thinking and reason are actually experienced in the the out of body condition. Do we think and form words like here on earth? Descriptions I have run across state that as "travelers" think, it instantly manifests around them. Telepathy is natural and seeing the reading the minds of others equally so.
      What is your knowledge here? How do we learn to "think" and reason in this new state?

      *******Pure thinking is the same. Even most mathematicians here are on earth are able to stay in such a state of pure thinking for only brief periods of time, unfortunately; but it IS thinking with the human spirit you are doing then, and this is the same as your consciousness when the spirit is outside of the body. What it's conscious OF is what changes, and it changes depending on the plane of consciousness you go to. It's not experienced in words, but in pure thinking, which is "behind" words, so to speak.

          Mathematical thinking is self-regulating, that is, nothing outside of my self forces me to recognize the truth of straight lines or triangles: I have this desire for truth, and recognition that I must think truthfully in order to attain it, as my inner guide. Similarly, when you have an inner need for truthfulness in your thinking--- as opposed to an egotistic need to have whatever you have to say paid attention to, regardless of whether it's correct or not (as most human beings in the present manifest before they start on the path of initiation)---this habit of checking your thinking and making sure it is correct is carried into your soul and spirit organism. Since it's an inner habit, it applies to your thinking regardless of the OBJECT.

         On the first plane you enter when you become free of the body, this is all-important, because there you find what you describe, namely that, whatever you think immediately appears to take form all around you. It's been called the Plane of Illusion; I call it the plane of wishful thinking. Fantasy has its origin here. In order to pass through it you have to be conscious that you are creating the fantasies, have to see through them to the part of you that is creating them. This is one of the reasons why art is so important on the spiritual path. Where most artists will simply picture whatever archetypes live in their consciousness, however, instead you must learn to see the archetypes themselves, and you see them as beings which are, so to speak, THINKING IN YOU. This is why objectivity, being able to stand apart from your own thinking, is required. You see what can be called the "thought beings" that ordinarily manifest through your thinking. You experience thinking as something happening in you, not something you do personally. You could say that you find out that you have never been a single unitary being, but rather the intersection of many planes, that other beings live within you.

         This is how other beings are experienced once you are able to pass through this plane of illusion, not as beings outside of you, but that they are within you and you are within them--- if you have done the exercises to strengthen the ego and your feeling of sympathy with others to the point where you can allow your self to experience them without losing yourself. Communication with other beings is experienced as coming from within, not from without. Naturally, once again, the resisting of illusions is all-important, because it's always possible to make fantasy images appear to speak (as in the case of so-called 'mystics' with their 'visions' which, strangely, always just happen to confirm the person's religious dogmas!). It's difficult to put into words what experiences are like on the second and third planes, where the dead can be contacted, for instance, but it's what Steiner is hinting at when he says that a person in his life was supposed to write something, but he didn't and now Steiner is "writing it for him". You contact the creative essence of a person, not just their outer personality. It involves deep levels of yourself and is a very intimate matter, which is why I seldom speak of it, but I recognize what Steiner meant because I have passed through my own experience of it. Remember, we are not only intellects, but powerful will-drives, so communication with other beings is not just like 'hearing their thoughts'.

         In fact, thoughts themselves are experienced completely differently when out of the body. One way I could express it is that instead of, "I'm thinking this thought", you experience "This thought being wants to think in me." And rather as you recognize someone else is also an American or an English-speaking person, you will recognize that this or that thought being also is speaking in another person. Persons are seen to be the channels for thought beings, to be, so to speak, "possessed" by them. This is all to be found in Dr. Steiner's lectures, but you need to walk the path in order to recognize what he was experiencing. When he spoke, it was these very creative thought beings speaking through him. They are a source that you contact, with your whole being. See, for example, the lectures on "Occult Reading and Occult Hearing" and the ones on "Human and Cosmic Thought."

         For people just beginning, what I recommend are the thinking exercises, like the 'Ruckschau' or daily review of your actions, along with simply recording your dreams. Don't speculate on their meanings, but simply start be able to remember "I experienced this, I remember observing that." I have found that materialism is progressing so far that many people cannot even remember their dream experiences (which are your first, undisciplined experiences of the astral plane). As you take up esoteric training, your self-consciousness which is having your dreams will begin to change their character, and until that happens, their content is not worth very much in itself (see the chapter on "Transformation of Dream Life" in Knowledge of the Higher Worlds)--- but I meet so many people that have no recall whatsoever of even the tiniest fraction of their "nightly journey" on the astral plane these days that I have to emphasize the importance of doing so. Modern man has been cut off from his intuitive mind, the mind of the soul, but all of us still have that as a starting point every night, among others.

      Hoping we may have some similar discussions here on the Steiner list.

    • ronaldsquibbs
      Message 2 of 4 , May 7, 2003
        Dr. Starman,

        Thank you for re-posting this here. I believe I had skimmed it when
        it appeared in a digest from the Anthroposophy group along with some
        other stuff. Having it here on its own made it easier to give it more
        attention.

        >    Our "anthroposophical angle" is thus rather like ours could be
        said to be
        > on painting--- in that, while many people just jump into painting
        and do it
        > by pure irrational feeling with no thinking involved, doing nothing
        > consciously, a painter pursuing painting as a spiritual path
        through
        > Anthroposophy accompanies his Will and feeling with clear thinking
        about
        > darkness in front of light, light in front of darkness, warm and
        cool colors,
        > etc. What is produced is the result of training and conscious
        action.

        This passage brought up several thoughts. One thought is that, when
        it comes to "spiritual" pursuits, all thoughts of artistic quality
        and intelligent perceptions seem to go out the window. One is either
        okay with the naive and mediocre or one is not with the program. This
        is something that has kept me at some distance from newer movements
        in favor of more "classical" spiritual paradigms, and has also led me
        to keep my artistic and intellectual interests separate from my
        spiritual ones.

        What I feel is being asked of me now is a deeper integration between
        these aspects so that, hopefully, my teaching (as a university music
        professor) can become a more organic expression of myself rather than
        something stressful and disappointing from which I need to escape in
        mostly solitary intellectual, artistic, and spiritual pursuits. In my
        previous location there was a beautiful spiritual group with which I
        had frequent contact. This did become a refuge from the insanity of
        modern academia. But since relocating and not having such easy
        opportunities for contact with a suitable spiritual group, I feel
        that I really need to integrate the abovementioned aspects more
        thoroughly since I don't have the comfort of such a group to rely
        upon.

        The remarks above on painting seem to reinforce my idea that the
        pursuit of artistic quality involves spiritual discernment and
        refinement. Evaluations of artistic viability are not "merely
        subjective" (as many of my students like to claim when they're not
        willing to reach out beyond their lowest selves) but there is a
        quality of being focused that contributes positively to the
        satisfaction of the artist and which communicates in a subtle way to
        the observer or audience.

        >    For people just beginning, what I recommend are the thinking
        exercises,
        > like the 'Ruckschau' or daily review of your actions, along with
        simply
        > recording your dreams. Don't speculate on their meanings, but
        simply start be
        > able to remember "I experienced this, I remember observing that."

        Are the Ruckschau exercises related to the daily themes that are
        posted on the Steiner e.Lib site? Is there a written source that
        contains all of those exercises?

        Thanks,

        Ron
      • Lutz Baar
        Message 3 of 4 , May 7, 2003
          --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "ronaldsquibbs" <ronsquibbs@s...>
          wrote:
          > Are the Ruckschau exercises related to the daily themes that are
          > posted on the Steiner e.Lib site? Is there a written source that
          > contains all of those exercises?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Ron

          Here is one aspect on Rückschau (imaging things backwards)from GA
          170, Ron! Greetings, Lutz.

          "In 'Knowledge of the Higher Worlds' you are advised to imagine
          things backwards from time to time, to review things backwards. A
          backwards review involves picturing events as if they proceeded in
          the opposite direction from that in which they proceed in our normal
          world. Among other things, this picturing backwards gradually builds
          the spiritual forces that make one capable of entering a world that
          is the wrong way round when compared with the physical world. That
          is how the spiritual world is.

          "It reverses many aspects of the physical world. I have often
          pointed out to you that it is not simply a matter of abstractly
          turning around what is in the physical world; among the powers that
          one needs to develop are the powers connected with the ability to
          imagine backwards. What is the consequence of this? Those people who
          do not want to see human culture dry up and who are trying to
          achieve a spiritually illumined view of the world are eventually
          forced to imagine a world in reverse.

          "For spiritual consciousness only begins when the life processes or
          the sense processes are reversed and run backwards. Therefore people
          need to prepare for the future by getting accustomed to thinking
          backwards. Then they will begin to take hold of the spiritual world
          through this thinking backwards, just as they take hold of the
          physical world by means of thinking forwards. Our ability to imagine
          the physical world is a result of the direction of our thinking.
          Message 4 of 4 , May 8, 2003

            *******The "ruckschau"  ("look-back") is an exercise you do at the end of each day, where you review the actions of your day in reverse order. It's easy to see how reviewing your actions each day would help with being more mindful of what you do; but you do it in reverse order for two reasons. First, it requires more inner strength to recall events in the OPPOSITE sequence from the way the world gave them to you, and, second, time flows 'backwards' on the astral plane, relative to the physical plane. This is why this exercise improves your dream recall, because you experience dreams on the astral plane.