Soul-Calendar, Week 3

    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2003

         The "Calendar of the Soul"

        Dr. Steiner gave out 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within and without during the year, starting with the first at Easter. These are well known to anthroposophists--- but the original "Calendar of the Soul" also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day, a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces, and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days.
          Here's the whole 'Soul-Calendar' restored to its original use.

      * M A N T R A # 3 *
      Es spricht zum Weltenall,
      Sich Selbst vergessend
      Und seines Urstands eingedenk,
      Des Menschen wachsend Ich:
      In dir, befreiend nich,
      Aus meiner Eigenheiten Fessel,
      Ergrund ich mein echtes Wesen.

      There speaks to the World-All,
      Of Self forgetful
      And of its Primal state one in thinking,
      Man's waxing "I":
      ' In you, freeing me
      From my Selfhood's chains,
      I penetrate to my true Essence. '

         The spring is the time when we change from an inner "self-consciousness" to outer "nature-consciousness". Verse 1 (we always start at Easter) spoke of how the Sun and the Growth in the outer world of Nature spoke to our senses and joined us to the Spirit that calls forth this new life--- verse 2 of how our thinking loses its separated existence by joining with the senses, the plants springing forth and so on.

         This week continues the theme of 'forgetting oneself': the first 4 lines
      point to a distinction, so to speak, between self and Self, or the little ego
      and the True Self: the true "I" within us now seeks to 'speak' to the
      World-All, forgetful of the everyday 'self'. This means the Primal
      Individuality we have within. In using these first 4 lines one should feel
      these two 'selves' distinctly different, should feel this deep True Self is
      now connecting with the World, forgetful of the everyday self.

         In doing so, that true Primal Self 'speaks' the last 3 lines to the
      World: one should recite these with the real feeling of speaking them to the
      World-All. In you, freeing me from my selfhood's chains (meaning the little
      'self'), I penetrate (dig down deep into) my True Essence (Being, Self---I
      use 'essence' because the German word 'Wesen' is the source of it).

                              **********************************
           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of TAURUS from May 1st to June 15th in our era. A symbolic image of the Bull done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below,

      Sunday, May 4th. Moon Gemini.  Monica, mother of Augustine dies 387 A.D.

      Monday,  May 5th. Moon Cancer. Columbus discovers America 1492.

      Tuesday,  May 6th. Moon Cancer.  John, writer of the Gospel and the Apocalypse.

      Wednesday, May 7th. Moon Leo. Gottfried.

      Thursday, May 8th. Moon Leo. The Prophet Micah. H.P. Blavatsky died 1891.

      Friday, May 9th. Moon Leo. First Quarter.  Schiller died 1805.

      Saturday, May 10th. Moon Virgo.  Gordian.

      P.S. The Moon will appear close to the planet Saturn Sunday night and near Jupiter Thursday and Friday nights.

      *  M A N T R A  # 2 8  *

      Ich kann in Innern neu belebt
      Erfühlen eignen Wesens Weiten
      Und kraftefüllt Gedankenstrahlen
      Aus Seelensonnenmacht
      Den Lebensrätseln lösend spenden,
      Erfüllung manchem Wunsche leihen,
      Dem Hoffnung schon die Schwingen lähmte.

      I can in Inner newly alive
      Feel my own Essence widen
      And power-filled Thinking-rays
      Out of Soul's Sun-Might
      Life-Riddles loosening giving,
      Lending fulfillment to many Wishes
      That before even the Hope for had its wings lamed.

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2008

        Dr. Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday.

        These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original 'Calendar ' also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days.

        Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form. I have added some details on the planets as well.

        The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation PISCES from March 9th to April 13th in our era.
        A version of a new symbolic image of the FISHES (from the original Soul-Calendar, done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications) , is attached to this e-mail.

        * M A N T R A # 3 *

        Es spricht zum Weltenall,

        Sich Selbst vergessend

        Und seines Urstands eingedenk,

        Des Menschen wachsend Ich:

        In dir, befreiend nich,

        Aus meiner Eigenheiten Fessel,

        Ergründ ich mein echtes Wesen.

        There speaks to the World-All,

        Of Self forgetful

        And of its Primal state one in thinking,

        Man’s waxing “I”:

        ‘In you, freeing me

        From my Selfhood’s chains,

[...]

        World: one should recite these with the real feeling of speaking them to the World-All. In you, freeing me from my selfhood's chains (meaning the little 'self'), I penetrate (dig down deep into) my True Essence (Being, True Self---I use 'essence' because the German word 'Wesen' is the source of it).

        THE DAYS OF THE WEEK

        Sunday, April 6th. Moon Taurus.  Irenaeus, Bishop of Lyon in 2nd century. Raphael born 1483. Dürer died 1528.

        Monday, April 7th. Moon Taurus. Egesippus (Christian writer of the second century in Rome).

        Tuesday, April 8th. Moon Gemini. Wilhelm von Humboldt died 1835.

        Wednesday April 9th. Moon Gemini.   Mary Cleophas (who with Mary of Magdala and the Mother of Jesus in John’s Gospel was present at the Crucifixion). Theophilus (Bishop of Alexandria in the 5th century). Francis Bacon of Verulam died 1626.

        Thursday, April 10th. Moon Cancer. The Prophets Daniel and Ezekiel.

        Friday, April 11th. Moon Cancer.   Leo (Pope that turned back the wave of Attila from Italy).

        Saturday, April 12th. Moon Cancer. First Quarter.
         Zeno.

        PLANETS IN THE NIGHT & MORNING SKY (Northern Hemisphere):

           MARS is on the meridian at sunset (close to directly overhead), near the foot of Castor (one of the Twins of Gemini).

            Yellowish SATURN is in the south at sunset, beneath the Lion's Heart, Regulus.

            JUPITER, the brightest object in the sky after the Sun, Moon and Venus, can be seen as a brilliant 'morning star' in the southeast before dawn, next to the stars of the Scorpion directly south.

        Dr. Starman

        www.DrStarman. com (web site down for remodeling)

        Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live Messenger. Get started!