Re: [steiner] New member introduction

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1 11:02 PM

      ******Welcome to the group, Ron. I am also a musician and astrologer. I hope you'll feel free to start a conversation here on these topics or any that may interest you.
      -Dr. Starman

      ronsquibbs@... writes:
      Hello everyone.
      I joined this list yesterday after having found a link to Dr.
      Starman's website from the Anthroposophy Yahoo group.
      I am a pianist, a professor of music theory, a dervish in a North
      American branch of a Turkish Sufi order, and a gay man in a longterm
      relationship.
      After the 9/11 incident, a composer colleague of mine at the
      university where I used to teach was speaking to me about the Saturn-
      Pluto opposition that was active at that time and recommended that I
      check out The Mountain Astrologer magazine. I did so and some of the
      ads in it reminded me of the fact that Dane Rudhyar was not only a
      modern composer of at least marginal historical importance but also
      an astrologer. I only came to understand afterward how influential he
      has been in that field.
      Since then I have been collecting recordings of his music, learning
      some of his music as a performer, and reading his books and articles.
      This has inspired me to learn a little bit about astrology and
      Theosophy, about which I am at the very beginning. But even this
      little bit has been enough to get some energies to flow more freely
      and to cause me to begin to find some new paths as a teacher,
      musician, and scholar.
      I started exploring anthroposophy online specifically because it was
      mentioned in two books I am currently reading, In Quest of Spirit by
      the composer Jonathan Harvey and Harmonies of Heaven and Earth by
      Joscelyn Godwin. I am interested to learn more about Steiner's
      insights on connections between the arts, education and the spiritual
      path.
      I have a tendency to write infrequently and to mix together too many
      topics in my emails, so I'll stop here. I have read the Kansas City
      series of articles and plan to comment on them individually, time
      permitting.
      Peace,
      Ron Squibbs