Godishapur/Baghdad

  • Sarah
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2003
      Dr Starman,
      Another question.

      Our Foundations teacher told us in a lecture that there will be karmic implications in the US attack on Baghdad. He was referring to Steiner saying that the teachings that came out of Baghdad and were taken by Haroum and Jafar to Europe via their incarnations as Bacon and Comenicus, which later resulted in the technological richness of the US, and which are now attacking their place of origin. It is an interesting observation, so I am interested in what you might have to say about this?

      Thanks
      Sarah
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2003
        sarahwh@... writes:
        Dr Starman,
        Another question.
        Our Foundations teacher told us in a lecture that there will be karmic implications in the US attack on Baghdad. He was referring to Steiner saying that the teachings that came out of Baghdad and were taken by Haroum and Jafar to Europe via their incarnations as Bacon and Comenicus, which later resulted in the technological richness of the US, and which are now attacking their place of origin. It is an interesting observation, so I am interested in what you might have to say about this?
        Thanks
        Sarah

        *******I don't think that kind of souls that once lived in ancient Babylonia have very much at all to do with what is happening in present-day Iraq. The present-day Greeks have nothing in common with the ancient Greeks, for instance. Cultures reach their zeniths and then decline. It sounds to me like just an abstraction. I mean, is there no karma involved with the war in Afghanistan because nobody important lived there 3000 years ago?

            What is more worthy of study is Islam and what it means is in the world today. I believe I posted here Steiner's remarks about the rising of the Great Beast about 1998 and its connection with Islam. Islam, of course, has nothing to do with ancient Persian or eastern wisdom, but is a relatively recent movement based on conquest which conquered those ancient centers of wisdom and forced them to be assimilated into their warrior culture or else virtually exterminated them. The war in the Balkans in the 1990s was a reaction to the furthest Westward expansion of Islam, its conquest of Serbia 800 years ago. The ruthless power of the Soviet Union was holding this force in check until then. What it bodes for the future is worth meditating on.

            Some 30 years ago, Alvin Toffler published a book called "Future Shock", in which he argued that change was coming so quickly that some minds simply could not adapt to it. That is what keeps coming to me very strongly as I see more and more how the year 2001 was a watershed year, an enormous turning point, the beginning of an entirely new geopolitical situation, rather as the second world war and its ending in 1945 was. Everything has changed. People who are still using habitual thought patterns developed before then will be simply unable to grasp the actual realities of our world anymore, rather as people were utterly lost after the first world war with all their old ways of thinking of things shattered (a wonderful portrayal of which was Jean Renoir's film "Grand Illusion"), or after the second, when entire nations were shattered, and the survivors in Europe and Asia awoke to find themselves trapped in a Manichaean conflict between Stalin and the free world. 2001 was the beginning of the new millennium in more ways than one.