Calendar of the Soul, Week 51

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2003

      The "Calendar of the Soul"
        The cycle of the year can be a meditation, and Dr. Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' for this, 52 meditative mantras enabling us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in outer Nature during the year. These verses are well known to many anthroposophists---- but the original Calendar published in 1912 also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the daytime, a listing of the Moon's phases and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days of the week.
          Here is the whole 'Soul-Calendar' as it was meant to be used.
          First, the mantra in the original German and in translation:

      *  M A N T R A  # 5 1  *
      Ins Innre des Menschenwesens
      Ergiesst der Sinne Reichtum sich,
      Es findet sich der Weltengeist
      Im Spiegelbild des Menschenauges,
      Das seine Kraft aus ihm
      Sich neu erschaffen muss.

      Into the Inner Essence of Man
      Gush the Senses' Riches;
      The World-Spirit finds itself
      In mirror-image of Man's Eye,
      That its Power out of this
      Must shape anew.

      This week's mantra:
      Last week, we felt, through the use of the mantra, how the spring's growth spoke, saying that Nature is spiritually under a spell which can only be overcome by us carrying it into our own deeds. This week we should feel the richness of all the sprouting new growth of nature pour into us, so that Nature itself is transformed into something new through our beholding its power within us.

          ( The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images or 'Imaginations' to awaken spiritual 'sight' and mantras or 'Inspirations' to begin spiritual 'hearing'. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not all-important, but rather the reciting of it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its experience. These mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so you can easily go from the meaning to the actual mantra. }

           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of PISCES from March 9th to April 13th in our era. The symbolic image of the Fishes done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday,  March 16th. Moon Virgo.  1858 Nees v. Esenbeck died.

      Monday,  March 17th. Full Moon. Moon Libra. Patrick (Bringer of Christendom to Ireland). 180 Marcus Aurelius died.

      Tuesday,  March 18th. Moon Libra. Day of Remembrance of the First Day of the World.

      Wednesday, March 19th. Moon Libra.   Joseph (husband of Mary). Mary of Bethany (Lazarus' sister in John's Gospel).

      Thursday, March 20th. Moon Scorpio. Joachim (father of Mary). Martin Scotus (worthy spreader of Christendom in Poland).

      Friday, March 21st. Moon Scorpio. Benedict (founded the Benedictine Order 529).  1685 J.S. Bach born. 1804 Napoleonic Code published.

      Saturday,  March 22nd. Moon Sagittarius. Leah (Laban's older daughter). Goethe died 1832.

      *  M A N T R A  # 2 1  *
      Ich fühle fruchtend fremde Macht
      Sich stärkend mir mich selbst verleihn,
      Den Keim empfind ich reifend
      Und Ahnung lichtvoll weben
      Im Innern an der Selbstheit Macht.

      I feel bearing fruit a foreign Power
      Which strengthens me, my self to bestow,
      I sense the Seed ripening
      And a premonition of light-filled weaving together
      Of my Innermost onto the Selfhood's Might.