Re: Gospel of John Over 12 Holy Nights

  • starmann77@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2000
      Fioredortica@... writes:

      << Hi! I also meant "The Gospel of St. John" of 1908,I had been willing to
      read it for a long time but somehow it never came into my hands. This should
      be a great opportunity for me, John the Evangelist is my favourite and a
      study group linking people across
      continents during the magic period of the year...well,i just find it breath
      taking!
      How do we structure it? I have never done it before (I mean the twelve
      nights),and I have even forgot which date is the first one...could anyone
      remind me? Thanks,
      Gisele. >>

      This is really the 'Michaelic use of technology', isn't it?

      I made the suggestion initially because we're going to have a group here in
      Virginia Beach at the Church doing it. I think I'll suggest we also take up
      the Gospel of John lectures!

      As for process, well, it's a tradition to read each lecture before a
      'meeting', to have a member volunteer to summarize a lecture at the start of
      the next meeting, and to have some artistic activity to engage the will &
      feelings. Also, to open with a verse.

      Dr. Starman
    • Duncan J. Fernando
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2000
        Dr.Starman,
        Could you please clarify that bit about "opening with a verse"?
        Are there verses in Steiner's book, or do you mean a verse from the
        Gospel?
        So the suggestions for participation so far are:
        (a) Verbal messages.
        (b) Artistic activity - sharing of drawings, diagrams etc.
        (c) Sharing of relevant dreams.
        SEna
        > << Hi! I also meant "The Gospel of St. John" of 1908,I had been willing to
        > read it for a long time but somehow it never came into my hands. This
        should
        > be a great opportunity for me, John the Evangelist is my favourite and a
        > study group linking people across
        > continents during the magic period of the year...well,i just find it
        breath
        > taking!
        > How do we structure it? I have never done it before (I mean the twelve
        > nights),and I have even forgot which date is the first one...could anyone
        > remind me? Thanks,
        > Gisele. >>
        >
        > This is really the 'Michaelic use of technology', isn't it?
        >
        > I made the suggestion initially because we're going to have a group here
        in
        > Virginia Beach at the Church doing it. I think I'll suggest we also take
        up
        > the Gospel of John lectures!
        >
        > As for process, well, it's a tradition to read each lecture before a
        > 'meeting', to have a member volunteer to summarize a lecture at the start
        of
        > the next meeting, and to have some artistic activity to engage the will &
        > feelings. Also, to open with a verse.
        >
        > Dr. Starman
        >

        > Post to steiner@egroups.com

      • finni golden
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2000
          Hello everyone. Again, I'm not sure about the etiquette on e-mail,
          so please excuse me if it is impolite to just 'post' one into a group
          of already established links. Please may I join your Holy Nights
          discussion group? I have already spoken with Sena (...hello Sena)
          from another site.
          Some of you may be interested in reading Sergei Prokofieff's
          book "The Festivals & Their Meanings" (drawing on Steiner's lectures)
          which covers Christmas, Easter, Ascension, Whitsun, & Michaelmass.
          The chapter on Christmas follows the course of the 12 Holy nights(or
          really 13 - beginning on Christmas Eve, by the way) and their
          spiritual reflection in the hierarchies (as each Holy Night is under
          the influence of one of the hierarchies) and their relationship to
          Christ and the zodiac, starting with Pices (Man) through to Aries
          (Christ), dealing specifically with the Christening of the entire
          cosmic order as Christ descended through the hierarchies from the
          Realm of the Father to Earth and passing through Golgotha,
          transforming the Earth into a New Sun.
          With kind regards,
          Finni

          --- In

        • starmann77@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2000
            In a message dated 12/1/00 3:31:51 PM, sena@... writes:

            << Dr.Starman,
            Could you please clarify that bit about "opening with a verse"?
            Are there verses in Steiner's book, or do you mean a verse from the
            Gospel?
            So the suggestions for participation so far are:
            (a) Verbal messages.
            (b) Artistic activity - sharing of drawings, diagrams etc.
            (c) Sharing of relevant dreams. >>

            Well, most anthropop groups take a mantra or verse of Steiner's to open and
            close the meeting with. A 'virtual' meeting, of course, is a little
            different... but we could choose a verse to all use together over the 12
            nights.

            Is this list set up so that JPEGs will transmit? Then we could share the art
            you mention.

            I guess it is because I think the Soul-Calendar JPEGs have been going thru...

            Dr. Starman
          • Duncan J. Fernando
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2000
              Hello Finni,
              Nice to hear from you . As you are a member of the Steiner
              group you are by right a part of the Holy Nights discussion.
              Prokofieff's book sounds very interesting. One thing I would
              disagree with is your reference to 13 nights. Steiner points out in "Occult
              History" that the 12
              Archangels corresponding to the 12 signs of the Zodiac are actually
              represented in Man (the microcosm) by the 12 pairs of main nerves
              emanating from the brain.
              Sena

              Create a free homepage at http://www.esotericlinks.com/userpages/index.shtml

              > Hello everyone. Again, I'm not sure about the etiquette on e-mail,
              > so please excuse me if it is impolite to just 'post' one into a group
              > of already established links. Please may I join your Holy Nights
              > discussion group? I have already spoken with Sena (...hello Sena)
              > from another site.
              > Some of you may be interested in reading Sergei Prokofieff's
              > book "The Festivals & Their Meanings" (drawing on Steiner's lectures)
              > which covers Christmas, Easter, Ascension, Whitsun, & Michaelmass.
              > The chapter on Christmas follows the course of the 12 Holy nights(or
              > really 13 - beginning on Christmas Eve, by the way) and their
              > spiritual reflection in the hierarchies (as each Holy Night is under
              > the influence of one of the hierarchies) and their relationship to
              > Christ and the zodiac, starting with Pices (Man) through to Aries
              > (Christ), dealing specifically with the Christening of the entire
              > cosmic order as Christ descended through the hierarchies from the
              > Realm of the Father to Earth and passing through Golgotha,
              > transforming the Earth into a New Sun.
              > With kind regards,
              > Finni
              >

              > --- In
              > steiner@egroups.com, "Duncan J. Fernando" <sena@c...> wrote:
              > > Dr.Starman,
              > > Could you please clarify that bit about "opening with a
              > verse"?
              > > Are there verses in Steiner's book, or do you mean a verse from the
              > > Gospel?
              > > So the suggestions for participation so far are:
              > > (a) Verbal messages.
              > > (b) Artistic activity - sharing of drawings, diagrams etc.
              > > (c) Sharing of relevant dreams.
              > > SEna

            • Duncan J. Fernando
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2000
                If you would suggest a verse, Dr.Starman, I could put it on the front
                page of the eGroup site for the duration of the event.
                The easiest way to share JPEGs or GIFs is to upload them
                to the Files store at the group. Any member can upload or download
                files from here. Just click on "Files" in the menu. I'll create a separate
                folder for the 12 Nights.
                Sena

                > Well, most anthropop groups take a mantra or verse of Steiner's to open
                and
                > close the meeting with. A 'virtual' meeting, of course, is a little
                > different... but we could choose a verse to all use together over the 12
                > nights.
                >
                > Is this list set up so that JPEGs will transmit? Then we could share the
                art
                > you mention.
                >
                > I guess it is because I think the Soul-Calendar JPEGs have been going
                thru...

                > Dr. Starman
                >

                > Post to steiner@egroups.com

              • Morgan Vierheller
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 2, 2000
                  All;

                  > If you would suggest a verse, Dr.Starman, I could put it on the front
                  > page of the eGroup site for the duration of the event.

                  If I could proffer a verse from a book that we are studying in our College of
                  Teachers:

                  I look into darkness.
                  In it arises light.
                  Living light.
                  Who is this light in the darkness?
                  It is myself in my reality.
                  This reality of my Ego
                  does not enter into my Earth existence.
                  I am only an image of it.
                  But I shall find it again
                  when I-- with good will for the spirit
                  shall have passed through the portal of death.

                  This is a meditation Steiner gave (London, 1923) to strengthen the ego. To
                  quote from Carlo Pietzner's book, from which this comes:
                  "It sums up the very core of the theme of image and reality, because it
                  places into the divine center, into the crossing point of the two arms of the
                  cross, the sleeping child of our ego.
                  (Pietzner used this meditation to sum up his chapter on Image and Reality
                  using the image that lives in many during Christmas, the Christmas tree.)

                  In this time when we need all of our strength and the nature of our study,
                  taking images into our sleep life, I thought this might be appropriate.

                  MFV
                • Duncan J. Fernando
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 2, 2000
                    That's a very interesting verse, Morgan, but does it mean that
                    none of us will become truly enlightened until after death?

                    Sena
                    > > If you would suggest a verse, Dr.Starman, I could put it on the front
                    > > page of the eGroup site for the duration of the event.
                    >
                    > If I could proffer a verse from a book that we are studying in our College
                    of
                    > Teachers:
                    >
                    > I look into darkness.
                    > In it arises light.
                    > Living light.
                    > Who is this light in the darkness?
                    > It is myself in my reality.
                    > This reality of my Ego
                    > does not enter into my Earth existence.
                    > I am only an image of it.
                    > But I shall find it again
                    > when I-- with good will for the spirit
                    > shall have passed through the portal of death.
                    >
                    > This is a meditation Steiner gave (London, 1923) to strengthen the ego. To
                    > quote from Carlo Pietzner's book, from which this comes:
                    > "It sums up the very core of the theme of image and reality, because
                    it
                    > places into the divine center, into the crossing point of the two arms of
                    the
                    > cross, the sleeping child of our ego.
                    > (Pietzner used this meditation to sum up his chapter on Image and Reality
                    > using the image that lives in many during Christmas, the Christmas tree.)
                    >
                    > In this time when we need all of our strength and the nature of our study,
                    > taking images into our sleep life, I thought this might be appropriate.
                    >
                    > MFV
                    >

                    > Post to steiner@egroups.com

                  • Morgan Vierheller
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
                      "Duncan J. Fernando" wrote:

                      > That's a very interesting verse, Morgan, but does it mean that
                      > none of us will become truly enlightened until after death?
                      >
                      > Sena,

                      Steiner writes in many of his books (especially The Syudy of Man) about the
                      work we do between falling asleep and waking as a an opportunity to get in
                      touch with that part of ourselves that we join after death. Thus, we bring
                      our experiences to this dream time each night and do some very important work.
                      You might say we have opportunities for enlightenment every time we sleep. It
                      is this that is referred to in the verse.

                      Morgan