Soul-Calendar, Week 48

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2003

      The "Calendar of the Soul"
        The cycle of the year can be a meditation, and Dr. Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' for this, 52 meditative mantras enabling us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in outer Nature during the year. These verses are well known to many anthroposophists---- but the original Calendar published in 1912 also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the daytime, a listing of the Moon's phases and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days of the week.
          Here is the whole 'Soul-Calendar' as it was meant to be used.
          First, the mantra in the original German and in translation:

      *  M A N T R A  # 4 8  *
      Im Lichte, das aus Weltenhöhen
      Der Seele machtvoll fliessen will,
      Erscheine, lösend Seelenrätsel
      Des Weltendenkens Sicherheit,
      Versammelnd seiner Strahlen Macht
      Im Menschenherzen Liebe weckend.

      The Soul mightily would flow into
      Light, that out of World-Heights
      Appears, solving Soul-Riddles
      By the World-Thinking's Certainty,
      Assembling its rays of Might
      In Man's Heart, Love to awaken.

      This week's mantra:
      We are heading towards spring, when our inner selves once more go to 'sleep', while the Earth instead awakens. Last week, we felt, by working with the mantra, Joy in the growth seen in Nature, our thinking prepared through the Divine to receive the revelations of this new life. This week, the growing Light we feel resolving all the World-Riddles that make our minds anxious, and instead it awakens Love in our hearts.

          (For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images or 'Imaginations' to awaken spiritual 'sight' and mantras or 'Inspirations' to begin spiritual 'hearing'. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not all-important, but rather the reciting of it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I’ve kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from the English meaning to the actual German mantra. )

                                            **********************************
           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of AQUARIUS from February 9th to March 8th in our era. The symbolic image of the Water-Man done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday,  February 23rd. Moon Sagittarius. Last Quarter. Lazarus (the poor man in the Gospel). Lazarus (who as described in John's Gospel by Christ was awakened). Mathematician Gauss died 1855. Eduard von Hartmann born 1842.

      Monday,  February 24th. Moon Sagittarius. Matthias the Apostle, chosen in Judas' place).    Gutenberg died 1468.

      Tuesday,  February 25th. Moon Capricorn.  Cellini died 1571.

      Wednesday, February 26th. Moon Capricorn. Jonas (the Prophet).

      Thursday,  February 27th. Moon Aquarius.  Ernst Renan born 1823. Martialis (acted for the spreading of Christendom in Gallien in the 3rd century).

      Friday,  February 28th. Moon Aquarius. Montaigne (the Skeptic) born 1533. Leander (Christian author).

      Saturday,  March 1st. Moon Pisces. Alcuin (teacher of Charlemagne, Christian author). 399 before Christ, Socrates takes the poison. Swidbertus (conveyor of Christendom to the Frisians).

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 8 *
      Kann ich die Seele weiten,
      Dass sie sich selbst verbinden
      Empfangnem Welten-Keimesworte?