Re: [Steiner] Pasadena Bookstore

  • Julie Heynssens
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 20, 2003
      George,

      The bookstore is at 110 Martin Alley which is
      between Green Street and Colorado Blvd. Also the
      bookstore is just behind the Twin Palms Restaurant.
      They are open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays from
      10 AM-5PM. They also have an auditorium and have
      lectures.
      They can give you a copy of the schedule at the
      bookstore. Their phone number is (626) 578-7513.

      Have Fun,

      Julie

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • LilOleMissy
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 20, 2003
        Dear George,

        I find your two postings interesting in that I have worked in medicine for
        many years, and the only possible definitive answers to your excellent
        questions would necessarily have to come from your own doctor who knows you
        well, or an expert in these fields. Even then, it's difficult to approach
        these matters. Over all, I've found the popular medical sources more what I
        term "fear mongers" than factual, although there is sufficient fact in a
        material sense to justify their legality. I'm not a materialistic medical
        person, although my training and much of my practice has firm materialistic
        roots, so to say.

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 20, 2003
          Julie, you're already familiar with our area, then. How great Gwen has read
          "Cannery Row," and she may also enjoy Steinbeck's *East of Eden* which is
          placed in the same area but taking in the Salinas Valley as well! Steinbeck
          was born in Salinas, and this work is about his family, but what is so
          striking about it to me is that it's a wonderful Cain/Abel work plus
          incorporating true Evil in the novel. When I came across these same aspects
          in Steiner's works, I thought back to this work of Steinbeck's, and it was
          so very clear to me! The old film with James Dean was largely made in the
          Valley, and other than more houses, there isn't much difference in the
          scenery.

          Isn't it absolutely wonderful to come across such careful and conscientious
          people as at Highland Hall as well as the bookstore in Pasadena?! We deeply
          appreciate such conscientiousness far more than we expect, and it's such a
          wonderful experience. There is a large bookstore up this way in Carmel [3
          miles from Monterey] which a very lovely lady runs all alone with her
          husband, and it's as large as the local Borders! The owner is having to sell
          out after so many years and I so hope the successor stocks as many of
          Steiner's works! I really was fortunate one day to run in there to see if
          any new titles had arrived, and thought I saw "Karma of Vocation," which I
          snapped up, only to find later I had "The Karma of Untruthfulness!" ACK, I
          said - I never heard of this one! But I can't describe how important it
          truly is. I'm either blind from reading so much or this one work is packed
          full with so much I'm only now realizing after so long! Since there are no
          coincidences, it's an even greater treasure to have gained it
          "accidentally!" :)

          I'm happy you and Gwen visited the Aquarium, and it's quite special, I
          think. Our son works at their research institute half way around the Bay,
          and that's where they have their deep water submersible, the Rov, for
          investigating the 2 mile deep underwater canyon in the Bay there. Other
          things go on there as well, since much of their work is tied up with NOAA.
          That's a fun place, too! I so hope some of your camping has been along The
          Big Sur Highway! What a tremendous meeting of mountains marching down to the
          sea!

          Warm Thoughts,

          Sheila

        • Deanne Salazar <khobar23@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 21, 2003
            Greetings,
            Now that we're on the subject, there is a program here at the Austin
            Waldorf School for Foundational Studies...wishing I could afford
            it!!! Cheers, Deanne
          • Julie Heynssens
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 23, 2003
              The Montessori Method is more materialistic. They use
              multi-sensory techniques to drill in the same numbers
              and letters that they would get anywhere else. There
              is no attention to spiritual matters or just time to
              be in awe of their surrondings. However, the school
              that my kids went to had a director that was trained
              as an artist in France so there was a lot more art,
              and attention to detail that you would find in a
              regular school. The kids were allowed to progress at
              their own pace. So my daughter didn't get put down
              because she was slow with letters and quick to draw
              beautiful pictures. Maria Montessori worked mostly
              with 3-8 year olds so her techniques are geared toward
              that age group.

              My understanding of the early years of Waldorf is that
              the teachers try to instill a sense of wonder about
              the world in the children and letters and numbers
              aren't introduced until grade school. There are told
              stories, they paint, they bake bread, they knit, they
              develop their creative capacities and leave the book
              learning for later.

              I asked my kids and they had no traumatic experiences
              from their Montessori School. They learned about
              animals from the many pet birds, mice, green snake,
              and small lizards that were part of the school. They
              had a lot of art and creativity and imaginative play.

              The biggest trauma Gwen had in school was her first
              year in public school kindergarten. The kids were
              mean and out of control. Gwen was so trusting that
              they loved to pull pranks on her. The next year we
              put her in Montessori. Ian had a problem at a public
              school with a very strict and rigid teacher that would
              single him out in front of the whole class. When I
              had him moved to another class, she started on a new
              kid.

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
            • Julie Heynssens
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 28, 2003
                Innovation does not originate with logic. It stems
                from Eros ... the passion to create. Ginger Grant

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/