Re: [steiner] St.George and the Dragon

  • Sena Fernando
    Message 1 of 2 , May 12 11:16 AM
      --- In steiner@egroups.com, Jarvi <ljarvi@p...> wrote:
      > Hello Sena,
      >
      > What a powerful and important message that is for me. I even
      remember
      > when it "struck home". I was sitting in a group in Bellingham,
      > Washington, studying Michaelmas and the Soul Forces of Man. We were
      > trying to design a Michaelmas festival for the children, and one
      > suggestion was that we have a person costumed as a dragon whom the
      > children could "battle" with the wooden swords they'd made
      and "slay".
      > It just rose up in me, I guess from the effects of the study, how
      wrong
      > this was. I remember feeling that the dragon should be tamed
      instead,
      > and this image also struck a chord in others. We ended up having a
      > wonderful Michaelmas festival which was permeated with the sense of
      > overcoming a challenge through meeting it deeply. We had little
      physical
      > tests of courage and stamina and also had children triumphantly
      leading
      > a tame dragon around with a rope. I liked it very much.
      >
      > Of course an adult experience of Michaelmas is fundamentally
      different,
      > because it involves the inner courage and spiritual conviction
      to "tame"
      > the inner dragon, Ahriman. My personal feeling is that we do this
      each
      > time we refuse to respond in a mechanical or a habitual way in our
      > relationships and interactions with others, but also avoid running
      the
      > other way into a life in which we unconsciously attempt to deny the
      > reality of individuation and be lost in experience. The middle
      ground is
      > the Christ, who makes us whole by giving us the capacity to have an
      > objective spiritual experience of our relatedness. To me, Lucifer
      and
      > Ahriman are the spiritual beings whose purpose it is to represent,
      in
      > pure and undiluted form, the Feeling and Thinking capacities of
      human
      > beings. We aren't very good at using these capacities yet.
      They "use us"
      > because we lack a concious relationship with Will. Will is purely
      > spiritual. It has no physical or emotional constitution, and as
      such can
      > not be controlled at the human level of experience. Through Will,
      the
      > Christ guides our progress unerringly, but we have no way of
      knowing it,
      > unless we discipline what little objective spiritual consciousness
      we
      > have access to and become aware of the fact of Will and how it works
      > into the progress and evolution of form and experience. There's a
      > saying, we're awake in our thinking, dreaming in our feeling life,
      and
      > asleep in our will. There are so many people calling themselves
      > Anthroposophists who are convinced that they are running around
      > consciously willing this or that to happen in their lives. This is a
      > fifth epoch perception of experience. They can beat that horse as
      much
      > as they want, but it won't take them any nearer to an objective
      > spiritual experience of reality. All they'll get for their trouble
      is
      > good old anthroposophically-flavored fifth epoch experience,
      complete
      > with social alienation and emotional and physical exhaustion. I
      > personally am not going to get involved with another so-called
      > Anthroposophical group unless I think the people are up for seeing
      what
      > might be on the other side of that particular brand of self-
      delusionary
      > hell.
      >
      > With the self-discipline to find the objective spirituality in
      > experience, we can begin to be a participant in our spiritual
      journey
      > rather than an unconscious recipient.Taming the dragon is what
      happens
      > when we allow ourselves to become vessels for Will, resulting in
      > spiritual healing. Slaying the dragon is not only impossible,
      because we
      > couldn't be human beings without the dragon, but it is also a
      fruitless
      > and illusory attempt at exercising personal Will. There's no such
      thing!
      > That's the big open secret. Until this has been understood not just
      > intellectually, but in one's heart - proven by one's responses when
      > faced with great adversity - the Dweller on the Threshold bars
      passage
      > to the next level of spiritual development. That's the message of
      the
      > Book of Job, I think.
      >
      > Thanks for evoking this powerful image, Sena. It's nice to think
      about
      > this.
      >
      > Lorraine

      Hello Lorraine,
      Thank you for your prompt response.Your account of the
      discovery you made during the theatrical exercise at Michaelmas is
      very illuminating.I am not sure that the adult experience of taming
      the dragon is fundamentally different,except in the sense that the
      vast majority of us have not tamed it at all,but merely suppressed it.
      What you seem to be saying in the next part of the
      message,Lorraine,is the importance of objectivity as opposed to self-
      delusion,and I can heartily agree with this.You said something in
      your previous message about my having achieved a centred
      spirituality.In fact I am painfully aware that I am very far from
      achieving such a state.
      If I read you correctly you seem to be saying that there
      is no such thing as personal Will. This I find very interesting as I
      had always thought of Will as something personal and,as a result, I
      had become sceptical about its very existence. I am comforted by
      your statement that "through Will, the Christ guides our progress
      unerringly".
      Sena