Re: Gospel of John Reading Over 12 Holy Nights

  • starmann77@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2000
      sena@... writes:

      << I presume that the first night of Christmas is the night of the
      25th, and the last night is the night of 5th January.>>

      *******Or is Christmas Eve the First Night? (It's a Sunday, incidentally.)

      As for the structure, one suggestion I would make is for a number
      of members to take on the responsibility of summarizing a chapter of the
      book, these summaries will be
      posted at intervals during the 12 nights, and other members post their

      *******I'd volunteer to do a summary of the first one.

      Can someone tell us how many chapters (including preface or
      introduction) there are in the book? >>

      As I posted, 12---not including Marie Steiner's preface.

      BTW I think this is a great choice, since it's one of the early lecture
      cycles amplifying Occult Science, as well as the first on the Gospels---or
      actually I think there was one slightly earlier cycle on the Gospel of John
      in 1908, before the May1908 Hamburg ones I assume we're speaking of; but the
      Hamburg ones also were widely circulated among the first anthroposophists,
      and so the themes sounded in them were very influential in the Society's
      development.

      Say, do we want to invite folks on the other lists?

      Dr. Starman
    • jla
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2000
        The invitation was made  yesterday when I offered to get books for people but we can do it again and expand the "community".
        Is then my understanding that voting is going along with the first St. John Lecture Cycle??
        Jeff

        starmann77@... wrote:

        sena@... writes:

[...]

        Post to steiner@egroups.com

        Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

      • Duncan J. Fernando
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2000
          Dr.Starman,
          Taking each of your points:
          (1)I agree that there is some uncertainty about whether it starts on
          the 24th night or 25th night. Shall we agree that it will be the 25th
          night? (People are likely to be busier with other things on the 24th).
          (2) Thanks for agreeing to the the first chapter. I have set up a
          calendar at eGroups, and I'll put your name down for the first night.
          Volunteers needed, please for the other chapters.
          (3) Other groups - I think Jeff has already sent a message to the other
          groups.
          Sena

          > *******Or is Christmas Eve the First Night? (It's a Sunday, incidentally.)
          >
          > As for the structure, one suggestion I would make is for a
          number
          > of members to take on the responsibility of summarizing a chapter of the
          > book, these summaries will be
          > posted at intervals during the 12 nights, and other members post their
          >
          > *******I'd volunteer to do a summary of the first one.
          >
          > Can someone tell us how many chapters (including preface or
          > introduction) there are in the book? >>
          >
          > As I posted, 12---not including Marie Steiner's preface.
          >
          > BTW I think this is a great choice, since it's one of the early lecture
          > cycles amplifying Occult Science, as well as the first on the Gospels---or
          > actually I think there was one slightly earlier cycle on the Gospel of
          John
          > in 1908, before the May1908 Hamburg ones I assume we're speaking of; but
          the
          > Hamburg ones also were widely circulated among the first anthroposophists,
          > and so the themes sounded in them were very influential in the Society's
          > development.
          >
          > Say, do we want to invite folks on the other lists?
          >
          > Dr. Starman
          >

          > Post to steiner@egroups.com

        • Morgan Vierheller
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2000
            > Sena,

            Since it seems you are keeping track:
            I volunteer for chapter III, The Mission of the Earth. If we start the night
            of the 25th then I will expect to post my summary on the eve of the 27th.

            MFV
            PS I still have some misgivings about zooing through this book, but I am
            willing to try it.

          • starmann77@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2000
              sena@... writes:

              << I agree that there is some uncertainty about whether it starts on
              the 24th night or 25th night. Shall we agree that it will be the 25th
              night? >>

              Sounds fine. I hate to admit it but I was never exactly clear which was the
              first night.

              BTW if anyone wants to buy the book, it's $16.01 from the Anthroposophic
              Press (including $5 for UPS shipping). Or you can look for used copies at
              www.bibliofind.com or bookfinders.com. The press is at this link:
              <A HREF="http://www.anthropress.org/">ANTHROPOSOPHIC PRESS</A>

              Starman

              P.S. There's also a solar eclipse Christmas day.
            • Duncan J. Fernando
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 2, 2000
                Thanks for your offer, Morgan. I'll put your name on the
                calendar at eGroups.
                Sena
                > I volunteer for chapter III, The Mission of the Earth. If we start the
                night
                > of the 25th then I will expect to post my summary on the eve of the 27th.
                >
                > MFV
                > PS I still have some misgivings about zooing through this book, but I am
                > willing to try it.
                >

                > > Taking each of your points:
                > > (1)I agree that there is some uncertainty about whether it starts on
                > > the 24th night or 25th night. Shall we agree that it will be the 25th
                > > night? (People are likely to be busier with other things on the 24th).
                > > (2) Thanks for agreeing to the the first chapter. I have set up a
                > > calendar at eGroups, and I'll put your name down for the first night.
                > > Volunteers needed, please for the other chapters.
                > > (3) Other groups - I think Jeff has already sent a message to the
                other
                > > groups.
                > > Sena
                >

                > Post to steiner@egroups.com

              • Gisele Deibeck
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 2, 2000

                  > Starman:
                  >
                  > P.S. There's also a solar eclipse Christmas day.

                  Dear starman,

                  this solar eclipse in such a day must mean something?
                  What's your guess?

                  Gisele.

                • Janet
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 2, 2000
                    I didn't know there were so many different publications. Mine is paperback, 192 pages from AP with no ISBN indicated.

                    Anybody else have that one?

                    Janet

                    jla wrote:

                    This is getting a bit humorous ala the Florida election. First the choice and now which hole to we punch to get the right version of the version. In AP press on line catalog there are listed three Gospel of St. John's:  one by Floris Press for 9.95 with 129 pages: the other for 12.95 with 192 pages by AP Press! and the last which we eliminated (in Relation to the Other Gospels). Are first two the same cycles with different ISBN's????

                    Jeff

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 2, 2000
                        Jeff,
                                  Thanks for pointing out that there are 3 books with similar titles.
                        I think the 4 votes have been cast for the collection of 1908 lectures -
                        192 pages in  the AP Press edition. All goes to show what a prolific
                        writer and lecturer Steiner was.
                                    Sena

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 2, 2000
                          Fioredortica@... writes:
                          Dear starman,
                          this solar eclipse in such a day must mean something? >>

                          An eclipse is an interruption in the regular rhythms of Nature. As such, if
                          you desire to braek a pattern, to start on a new tack and change the way
                          things have been happening over and over, an eclipse time is a period when
                          you can make a new start and set up a new rhythm. It doesn't cause anything
                          to be different but provides an opportune time for YOU to make a change, a
                          time when you can start down a new road.

                          *man
                        • starmann77@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 2, 2000
                            pacbay@... writes:

                            << In AP press on line catalog there are listed three Gospel of
                            St. John's: one by Floris Press for 9.95 with 129 pages: the other for
                            12.95 with 192 pages by AP Press! and the last which we eliminated (in
                            Relation to the Other Gospels). Are first two the same cycles with
                            different ISBN's???? >>

                            No, the Floris Press one is the Christian Community translation of the actual
                            Gospel of John itself (by Kalmia Bittleston), not lectures by Steiner about
                            it.