Re: [steiner] Waldorf School

  • Julie Heynssens
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 18, 2003
      My daughter just finished the application process at
      Highland Hall High School in Norhtridge, CA. I truly
      hope that she gets in because she is just too
      thoughtful and considerate for the public schools
      around here. It was Gwen's need for more time to
      analyze and less time memorizing that sent me on the
      journey that led me here. I truly hope that this will
      work out for her. I'm even considering going through
      teacher training if she gets in. It will be a great
      chance for us to grow together. Wish us luck.

      Have Fun,

      Julie

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 20, 2003
        julie_b_h@... writes:

        My daughter just finished the application process at
        Highland Hall High School in Norhtridge, CA.  I truly
        hope that she gets in because she is just too
        thoughtful and considerate for the public schools
        around here.  It was Gwen's need for more time to
        analyze and less time memorizing that sent me on the
        journey that led me here.  I truly hope that this will
        work out for her.  I'm even considering going through
        teacher training if she gets in.  It will be a great
        chance for us to grow together.  Wish us luck.

        Have Fun,

        Julie

        *******I'm sure we all wish that she makes it. and you want to consider taking the training even if you don't go out to be a Waldorf teacher afterwards. It's the most marvelous training you can imagine. There are three training institutes in the United States: that one in California, one in New Hampshire and one in Spring Valley, New York.

      • LilOleMissy
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 20, 2003

          julie_b_h@... writes:

[...]

          Julie, I'm so very glad about your daughter! This world so badly needs such souls as she and you, too. Northridge is beautiful, and I'm in Monterey County on the coast [California] - wouldn't it be wonderful to meet?!!!! Rudolf Steiner College is just about 200 miles NE of me! Keep in touch?

          Warm Thoughts,

          Sheila
        • Julie Heynssens
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 20, 2003
            Sheila, we've been to Monterey a few times to visit
            the aquarium and camp along the coast. In fact, Gwen
            has just finished reading Cannery Row.

            I've met some really wonderful people at Highland Hall
            and at the Anthroposophy bookstore in Pasadena. I
            thought that all of the caring and consideration to
            detail was lost in today's world. It was nice meeting
            thoughtful people in urban California and was a real
            wake up call for me.

            In Tucson, the kids were in a one room Montessori
            schoolhouse near the University. Most of the kids
            parents were associated with the University and the
            kids were truely free spirits. I really miss that
            atmosphere and am glad that I found Highland Hall.

            Have Fun,

            Julie

            --- LilOleMissy <lilolemissy@...> wrote:

            > Julie, I'm so very glad about your daughter! This
            > world so badly needs such souls as she and you, too.
            > Northridge is beautiful, and I'm in Monterey County
            > on the coast [California] - wouldn't it be wonderful
            > to meet?!!!! Rudolf Steiner College is just about
            > 200 miles NE of me! Keep in touch?
            >
            > Warm Thoughts,
            >
            > Sheila

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • George Thomas
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 20, 2003
              Don't forget the teacher training program in Eugene,
              Oregon, too. This is where I attended the Foundation
              Year. I don't consider myself an anthroposophist, and
              I'm certainly not in the position to be a Waldorf
              teacher, but measuring the training's value in my life
              would be impossible. Not a day goes by that its
              affect is not felt.

              I'd be curious to know what differences you might find
              between Waldorf and the Montessori method. Of course,
              every Waldorf school is a little different, as I'm
              sure the Montessori schools must be, perhaps even more
              with the Montessori schools. I was put into a
              Montessori nursery school program in Bethlehem, PA,
              and I must say it wasn't a very pleasant experience.
              Too much, too soon, for my constitution. I have three
              vivid memories. The first is that I was required to
              check my blanket with the coats, which was upsetting
              but I made it through relatively unscathed after the
              first day. The second was the day we were taught
              about gravity by the teacher's use of metal filings on
              a magnetized globe. This made little sense to me at
              the time as I was taking the magnetized metal globe
              for what it is, a magnetized metal globe, and the
              Earth for what it is, a living body that generates its
              own magnetic field and not a piece of metal that
              picked its magnetic abilities up from the Earth or
              some place else. I couldn't figure out what one had
              to do with the other really, but I did enjoy watching
              the metal filings stick to the ends. The third memory
              is of the day we were taught where babies come from by
              using real pickled fetuses in jars. I realize now
              that the fetuses were probably not human, but I wasn't
              aware of this at the time, not that this necessarily
              would have made the situation more pleasant. Anyway,
              I was under the impression that there were real babies
              in those jars. This caused an emotional storm that is
              still in my memory as I was sitting there on the floor
              looking up at those babies in jars. I couldn't tell
              you who a single one of teachers was, or even recall
              the faces, but I remember quite well the blanket on
              the hook by the door, the magnetized globe and the
              fetuses in jars. Oh, and meeting my good friend,
              Charlie, too. Go figure....

              -George

              --- Julie Heynssens <julie_b_h@...> wrote:
              > Sheila, we've been to Monterey a few times to visit
              > the aquarium and camp along the coast. In fact,
              > Gwen
              > has just finished reading Cannery Row.
              >
              > I've met some really wonderful people at Highland
              > Hall
              > and at the Anthroposophy bookstore in Pasadena. I
              > thought that all of the caring and consideration to
              > detail was lost in today's world. It was nice
              > meeting
              > thoughtful people in urban California and was a real
              > wake up call for me.
              >
              > In Tucson, the kids were in a one room Montessori
              > schoolhouse near the University. Most of the kids
              > parents were associated with the University and the
              > kids were truely free spirits. I really miss that
              > atmosphere and am glad that I found Highland Hall.
              >
              > Have Fun,
              >
              > Julie
              >
              > --- LilOleMissy <lilolemissy@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > Julie, I'm so very glad about your daughter!
              > This
              > > world so badly needs such souls as she and you,
              > too.
              > > Northridge is beautiful, and I'm in Monterey
              > County
              > > on the coast [California] - wouldn't it be
              > wonderful
              > > to meet?!!!! Rudolf Steiner College is just about
              > > 200 miles NE of me! Keep in touch?
              > >
              > > Warm Thoughts,
              > >
              > > Sheila

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
            • George Thomas
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 20, 2003
                Julie-

                Do you happen to have the address for the bookstore in
                Pasadena? I live in Hollywood and would love to check
                it out some time.

                Thank you-
                George

                --- Julie Heynssens <julie_b_h@...> wrote:
                > Sheila, we've been to Monterey a few times to visit
                > the aquarium and camp along the coast. In fact,
                > Gwen
                > has just finished reading Cannery Row.
                >
                > I've met some really wonderful people at Highland
                > Hall
                > and at the Anthroposophy bookstore in Pasadena. I
                > thought that all of the caring and consideration to
                > detail was lost in today's world. It was nice
                > meeting
                > thoughtful people in urban California and was a real
                > wake up call for me.
                >
                > In Tucson, the kids were in a one room Montessori
                > schoolhouse near the University. Most of the kids
                > parents were associated with the University and the
                > kids were truely free spirits. I really miss that
                > atmosphere and am glad that I found Highland Hall.
                >
                > Have Fun,
                >
                > Julie
                >
                > --- LilOleMissy <lilolemissy@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > Julie, I'm so very glad about your daughter!
                > This
                > > world so badly needs such souls as she and you,
                > too.
                > > Northridge is beautiful, and I'm in Monterey
                > County
                > > on the coast [California] - wouldn't it be
                > wonderful
                > > to meet?!!!! Rudolf Steiner College is just about
                > > 200 miles NE of me! Keep in touch?
                > >
                > > Warm Thoughts,
                > >
                > > Sheila

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/
              • George Thomas
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 20, 2003
                  I'm writing in regard to current modern medicine and
                  its approach to infectious disease. There's a new
                  strain of staph that is going around in California.
                  It is mostly a problem affecting the skin at this
                  point. It is resistant to many of the common
                  antibiotics.

                  Here is a link to an article on WebMD:
                  http://my.webmd.com/content/article/60/66950.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

                  According to what I've read, it apparently started
                  with babies and has moved into the gay male
                  population, particularly in health clubs and other
                  places warm and moist. There are concerns that it
                  will soon be popping up in day care centers.

                  Here's also a related article on a vaccine that is to
                  be effective against staph infections:
                  http://my.webmd.com/content/article/24/1821_50297.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

                  I'm putting this out here curious to hear how others
                  on the list take such news, as it appears to be a
                  problem we'll have to deal with ever increasingly now
                  that more and more bugs are becoming immune to our
                  medicines.

                  Personally, I'm in the process of deciding whether or
                  not to have myself vaccinated against Hep A and B.
                  Hep B vaccination requires a series of three shots. I
                  received two shots when I was working in a group home
                  in Montana, but I left the state before finishing the
                  series. Despite the fact that no living viruses are
                  used in the vaccine, I had an adverse reaction to the
                  shots I received and was nauseous for a day or so
                  following each. Supposedly, this doesn't happen with
                  such a vaccine, but it did happen to me, though it
                  could have been something else only "coincidentally"
                  related to the shots. The experience soured me on the
                  idea of receiving any further vaccinations. Now,
                  almost 10 years later, I'm planning a trip to Costa
                  Rica. My fear of Hep infection is strong enough to
                  have me thinking of taking the shots again. I'm
                  measuring my concern for possibly getting sick with my
                  concern that these vaccines and medicines need to be
                  used cautiously because otherwise they serve to make
                  some diseases worse or even create new problems
                  altogether, as in the case of normally occuring
                  bacteria that is beneficial to the body but has begun
                  to mutate into something dangerous through the
                  overuse/misuse of antibiotics.

                  Please let me know your thoughts and feelings if so
                  inclined.

                  Thank you-
                  -George

                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                • George Thomas
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 20, 2003
                    In re: my previous e-mail....

                    I remember being told by our teacher in Eugene about
                    something I believe Steiner said regarding the future
                    development of a vaccine that would prevent spiritual
                    thoughts. (Perhaps under the guise that it would
                    prevent insanity? (My thought.)) Has anyone else
                    heard of such a statement?

                    Thank you-
                    George

                    http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                  • Julie Heynssens
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 20, 2003
                      George,

                      The bookstore is at 110 Martin Alley which is
                      between Green Street and Colorado Blvd. Also the
                      bookstore is just behind the Twin Palms Restaurant.
                      They are open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays from
                      10 AM-5PM. They also have an auditorium and have
                      lectures.
                      They can give you a copy of the schedule at the
                      bookstore. Their phone number is (626) 578-7513.

                      Have Fun,

                      Julie

                      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                    • LilOleMissy
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 20, 2003
                        Dear George,

                        I find your two postings interesting in that I have worked in medicine for
                        many years, and the only possible definitive answers to your excellent
                        questions would necessarily have to come from your own doctor who knows you
                        well, or an expert in these fields. Even then, it's difficult to approach
                        these matters. Over all, I've found the popular medical sources more what I
                        term "fear mongers" than factual, although there is sufficient fact in a
                        material sense to justify their legality. I'm not a materialistic medical
                        person, although my training and much of my practice has firm materialistic
                        roots, so to say.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 20, 2003
                          Julie, you're already familiar with our area, then. How great Gwen has read
                          "Cannery Row," and she may also enjoy Steinbeck's *East of Eden* which is
                          placed in the same area but taking in the Salinas Valley as well! Steinbeck
                          was born in Salinas, and this work is about his family, but what is so
                          striking about it to me is that it's a wonderful Cain/Abel work plus
                          incorporating true Evil in the novel. When I came across these same aspects
                          in Steiner's works, I thought back to this work of Steinbeck's, and it was
                          so very clear to me! The old film with James Dean was largely made in the
                          Valley, and other than more houses, there isn't much difference in the
                          scenery.

                          Isn't it absolutely wonderful to come across such careful and conscientious
                          people as at Highland Hall as well as the bookstore in Pasadena?! We deeply
                          appreciate such conscientiousness far more than we expect, and it's such a
                          wonderful experience. There is a large bookstore up this way in Carmel [3
                          miles from Monterey] which a very lovely lady runs all alone with her
                          husband, and it's as large as the local Borders! The owner is having to sell
                          out after so many years and I so hope the successor stocks as many of
                          Steiner's works! I really was fortunate one day to run in there to see if
                          any new titles had arrived, and thought I saw "Karma of Vocation," which I
                          snapped up, only to find later I had "The Karma of Untruthfulness!" ACK, I
                          said - I never heard of this one! But I can't describe how important it
                          truly is. I'm either blind from reading so much or this one work is packed
                          full with so much I'm only now realizing after so long! Since there are no
                          coincidences, it's an even greater treasure to have gained it
                          "accidentally!" :)

                          I'm happy you and Gwen visited the Aquarium, and it's quite special, I
                          think. Our son works at their research institute half way around the Bay,
                          and that's where they have their deep water submersible, the Rov, for
                          investigating the 2 mile deep underwater canyon in the Bay there. Other
                          things go on there as well, since much of their work is tied up with NOAA.
                          That's a fun place, too! I so hope some of your camping has been along The
                          Big Sur Highway! What a tremendous meeting of mountains marching down to the
                          sea!

                          Warm Thoughts,

                          Sheila

                        • Deanne Salazar <khobar23@yahoo.com>
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 21, 2003
                            Greetings,
                            Now that we're on the subject, there is a program here at the Austin
                            Waldorf School for Foundational Studies...wishing I could afford
                            it!!! Cheers, Deanne
                          • Julie Heynssens
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 23, 2003
                              The Montessori Method is more materialistic. They use
                              multi-sensory techniques to drill in the same numbers
                              and letters that they would get anywhere else. There
                              is no attention to spiritual matters or just time to
                              be in awe of their surrondings. However, the school
                              that my kids went to had a director that was trained
                              as an artist in France so there was a lot more art,
                              and attention to detail that you would find in a
                              regular school. The kids were allowed to progress at
                              their own pace. So my daughter didn't get put down
                              because she was slow with letters and quick to draw
                              beautiful pictures. Maria Montessori worked mostly
                              with 3-8 year olds so her techniques are geared toward
                              that age group.

                              My understanding of the early years of Waldorf is that
                              the teachers try to instill a sense of wonder about
                              the world in the children and letters and numbers
                              aren't introduced until grade school. There are told
                              stories, they paint, they bake bread, they knit, they
                              develop their creative capacities and leave the book
                              learning for later.

                              I asked my kids and they had no traumatic experiences
                              from their Montessori School. They learned about
                              animals from the many pet birds, mice, green snake,
                              and small lizards that were part of the school. They
                              had a lot of art and creativity and imaginative play.

                              The biggest trauma Gwen had in school was her first
                              year in public school kindergarten. The kids were
                              mean and out of control. Gwen was so trusting that
                              they loved to pull pranks on her. The next year we
                              put her in Montessori. Ian had a problem at a public
                              school with a very strict and rigid teacher that would
                              single him out in front of the whole class. When I
                              had him moved to another class, she started on a new
                              kid.

                              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                            • Julie Heynssens
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 28, 2003
                                Innovation does not originate with logic. It stems
                                from Eros ... the passion to create. Ginger Grant

                                http://taxes.yahoo.com/