Soul-Calendar Week 47

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2003
      The "Calendar of the Soul"
        The cycle of the year itself can be a meditation. Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' for this, 52 meditative mantras enabling us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in outer Nature during the year. These verses are well known to many anthroposophists---- but the original Calendar published in 1912 also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the daytime, a listing of the Moon's phases and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days of the week.
          Here is the whole 'Soul-Calendar' as it was meant to be used.
          First, the mantra in the original German and in translation:

      *  M A N T R A  # 4 7  *
      Es will erstehet aus dem Weltenschoss
      Die Sinnenschein erquickend, Werdelust.
      Sie finde meines Denkens Kraft
      Gerüstet durch die Gotteskraft
      Die kräftig mir im Innern leben.

      There will arise out of World-Womb
      The Senses' shine to quicken, Growth-Joy.
      It shall find my Thinking's Force
      Prepared through the Gods' Forces
      That forcefully in my Inner self live.

      This week's mantra:
      We are heading towards spring, when our inner selves once more go to sleep while the Earth awakens. Last week, we felt by working with the mantra how the surging new life in the outer world would have benumbed our souls if the force of Memory hadn't come in to play its proper role of preserving the Vision the Spirit had of what it wishes to create this year. This week, we feel how we find joy in that growth, and that our thinking is well prepared through the Divine to receive the world's revelations of new life.

          (For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images or 'Imaginations' to awaken spiritual 'sight' and mantras or 'Inspirations' to begin spiritual 'hearing'. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I’ve kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from the English meaning to the actual German mantra. )

                                            **********************************
           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of AQUARIUS from February 9th to March 8th in our era. The symbolic image of the Water-Man done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday,  February 16th. Moon Leo. Full Moon.  Ernst Haeckel born 1834.

      Monday,  February 17th. Moon Virgo. Giordano Bruno burned 1600. Olcott died 1907.

      Tuesday,  February 18th. Moon Virgo.  Luther died 1546. Michelangelo died 1564. Volta born 1745.

      Wednesday, February 19th. Moon Libra. Copernicus born 1473. 1700, Acceptance of the Gregorian Calendar by the Protestants.

      Thursday,  February 20th. Moon  Libra.  Voltaire born 1694.

      Friday,  February 21st. Moon Scorpio.  Spinoza died 1677.

      Saturday,  February 22nd. Moon Scorpio. Papias (Disciple of the Apostles, died as a martyr 116 A.D.) Schopenhauer born 1788.

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 7 *
      Es spricht das Weltenwort,
      Das ich durch Sinnestore
      In Seelengründen durfte führen: