Re: [steiner] Which Gospel?

  • Duncan J. Fernando
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2000
      Hi Gisele,
      Nice to hear from you. There does seem to be a
      consensus developing for the collection of 1908 lectures.
      I've just ordered a copy, and should receive it within the
      next two weeks.
      I presume that the first night of Christmas is the night
      of the 25th, and the last night is the night of 5th January.
      As for the structure, one suggestion I would make
      is for a number of members to take on the responsibility of
      summarizing a chapter of the book, these summaries will be
      posted at intervals during the 12 nights, and other members
      post their responses.
      Can someone tell us how many chapters (including
      preface or introduction) there are in the book?
      I'll check whether there is some sort of calendar at
      eGroups.

      Sena

      Create a free homepage at http://www.esotericlinks.com/userpages/index.shtml

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2000
        Thanks, Morgan, for expressing your views.If you like I could
        set up another poll to decide whether we try to concentrate on
        one chapter or read the whole book, but I'll wait to see whether
        a consensus emerges in the posts. As you are familiar with the
        book it would be good if you could suggest a chapter.
                  Sena

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2000
          I'd written:
          ..Say, do we want to invite folks on the other lists?>>

          Oops! I see Jeff already has.
        • Morgan Vierheller
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2000
            "Duncan J. Fernando" wrote:

            > I presume that the first night of Christmas is the night
            > of the 25th, and the last night is the night of 5th January.

            Yes.

            > As for the structure, one suggestion I would make
            > is for a number of members to take on the responsibility of
            > summarizing a chapter of the book, these summaries will be
            > posted at intervals during the 12 nights, and other members
            > post their responses.
            > Can someone tell us how many chapters (including
            > preface or introduction) there are in the book?

            There are 12 :) chapters plus an introduction by Marir Steiner.

            MFV
          • jla

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2000
                Jeff,
                     It WILL be a majority vote (unlike some other elections). At the moment
                there are 4 votes for St.John (1908) - Dr.Starman, Janet, Gisele, and myself.
                Please remind me who apart from yourself is voting for St.John (1909).
                            Sena
                http://www.esotericlinks.com

                > Hi! I also meant "The Gospel of St. John" of 1908,I
                > had been willing to read it for a long time but
                > somehow it never came into my hands. This should be a
                > great opportunity for me, John the Evangelist is my
                > favourite and a study group linking people across
                > continents during the magic period of the
                > year...well,i just find it breath taking!
                > How do we structure it?
                > I have never done it before (I mean the twelve
                > nights),and I have even forgot which date is the first
                > one...could anyone remind me? Thanks,
                > Gisele.

                Post to steiner@egroups.com

                Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

              • Gisele Deibeck
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 2, 2000
                  --- "Duncan J. Fernando" <sena@...> wrote: >
                  Hi Gisele,
                  > Nice to hear from you. ...........
                  I presume that the first night of Christmas
                  > is the night
                  > of the 25th, and the last night is the night of 5th
                  > January.

                  Hi Sena,
                  I am very happy about this 'holy-nights-on wire'
                  opportunity: for the past 7 years I have spent my
                  Christmas day and night on my own, and although I'd
                  rather be alone with my Angel than in a crowd intent
                  on getting drunk and eating meaningless sacrificed
                  animals, I still get the odd pang of sadness that
                  lonelyness brings sometimes...but I could never find
                  ways of participating to those kind of 'alternative'
                  Christmases, kind of 'spiritual retreats'that would
                  cost me more than a month income..

                  So, at last a spiritual inexpensive way of linking
                  with like-minded people and honour the birth of Jesus
                  Christ without getting mixed up with abundance of food
                  while others are starving, alcoholic celebrations
                  while others are suffering, and drugs-parties while
                  Lux and Arh are laughing their heads off...

                  Sounds as Finni is right though, I just found this
                  reference in the Anthr Newsletter:
                  "...during the Holy Nights which begin on the eve of
                  Christmas, 24th December, and arch in time over all of
                  us until the festival of the Three Kings on 6th
                  January."
                  I don't think we should be pedantic about this though,
                  but I must admit that Christmas Eve holds a special
                  flavour of magic in the air, that atmosphere of
                  expectancy... I don't know what the group thinks:
                  should we leave it for each one with her/himself or
                  start the link that very night?
                  Another thing is the timing: if I remember well, you
                  are in Britain Sena, same as me, and there might be
                  people from continental Europe, but what about our
                  friends in the Americas? (There could be people from
                  Africa, Asia, Australia as far as I know)
                  It would be helpful if each one joining this
                  12-nights-study-group could state where they're based
                  and if we could think about time-coordination
                  I will volunteer for a chapter but I still don't know
                  which one until I get the book.

                  Arrisentirci! Gisele

                • jla
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 2, 2000
                    I recall on the voting section at egroups, 4 votes for the Gospel of St.John in Relation. I may have been wrong or this has changed.

                    Jeff

                    http://www.esotericlinks.com Create a free homepage at http://www.esotericlinks.com/userpages/index.shtml mailto:sena@...