Soul-Calendar, Week 46 after Easter

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2003
      The "Calendar of the Soul"
        The cycle of the year itself can be a meditation. Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' for this, 52 meditative mantras enabling us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in outer Nature during the year. These verses are well known to many anthroposophists---- but the original Calendar published in 1912 also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the daytime, a listing of the Moon's phases and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days of the week. Here is the whole 'Soul-Calendar' as it was meant to be used.
          First, the mantra in the original German and in translation:

      *  M A N T R A  # 4 6  *
      Die Welt, sie drohet zu betäuben
      Der Seele eingeborene Kraft;
      Nun trete du, Erinnerung,
      Und stärke mir das Schauen
      Das nur durch Willenskräfte
      Sich selbst erhalten kann.

      The World, it threatens to benumb
      The Soul's inborn strength;
      Now tread you, Memory,
      Out of Spirit-Deeps enlightening
      And make strong for me Vision,
      That only through Will-Strength
      Can preserve itself.

         We are heading towards spring and summer, when our inner selves once more
      sleep, while the Earth awakens. Last week, the power of thinking united with
      what was 'born' in us at Christmas, and made clear all the early spring
      stirrings of new life in the external world---we united with this "becoming" of
      Nature as we thought about what we perceived. This week, this surging new life
      in the outer world would 'benumb' our souls if the force of MEMORY didn't come in to play its proper role, that of preserving the Vision the spirit has had of what it wishes to create this year.

          (For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images or 'Imaginations' to awaken spiritual 'sight' and mantras or 'Inspirations' to begin spiritual 'hearing'. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I’ve kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from the English meaning to the actual German mantra. )

                                            **********************************
           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of AQUARIUS from February 9th to March 8th in our era. The symbolic image of the Water-Man done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday,  February 9th. Moon Taurus. First Quarter. Apollonia, Christian martyr in Alexandria in the 3rd century.

      Monday,  February 10th. Moon Gemini. Theophany of Paul on the Way to Damascus. 1847 Edison born. 1755 Montesquieu died.

      Tuesday,  February 11th. Moon Gemini. 1650 Descartes died.

      Wednesday, February 12th. Moon Cancer. 1804 Kant died. 1809 Darwin born.

      Thursday,  February 13th. Moon Cancer. 1883 Richard Wagner died.

      Friday,  February 14th. Moon Leo. Seafarer Cook killed 1779. Nees v. Esenbeck, Botanist, born 1776.

      Saturday,  February 15th. Moon Leo. Galilei Born 1564. Lessing died 1781.

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 6 *
      Zu bergen Geistgeschenk im Innern,
      Gebietet strenge mir mein Ahnen,
      Dass reifend Gottesgaben
      In Seelengründen fruchtend
      Der Selbstheit Früchte bringen.

      To save the Spirit-Gifts in my Inner self
      Bids me strongly my sensing of the future,
      So that those ripening God-gifts
      In the Soul's Ground bearing fruit
      The Selfhood's Fruit will bring.

      P.S. Monday and Tuesday night the Moon is seen near the planet Saturn: Friday and Saturday nights, it will be seen almost full near Jupiter.

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19, 2005
        The "Calendar of the Soul"

          Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday.
           These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days. Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form.

           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation AQUARIUS from Feb. 9th through Mar. 8th in our era. Here's a version of the symbolic image of the WATER-MAN in the original Soul-Calendar, done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

        This week's mantra.

        *  M A N T R A  # 4 6  *
        Die Welt, sie drohet zu betäuben
        Der Seele eingeborene Kraft;
        Nun trete du, Erinnerung,
        Aus Geistestiefen leuchtend auf
        Und stärke mir das Schauen
        Das nur durch Willenskräfte
        Sich selbst erhalten kann.

        The World, it threatens to benumb
        The Soul's inborn strength;
        Now tread you, Memory,
        Out of Spirit-Deeps enlightening
        And make strong for me the Vision,
        That only through Will-Strength
        Can preserve itself.

        Interpretation of this week's mantra:
          We are heading towards spring and summer, when our inner selves once more
        sleep, while the Earth awakens. Last week, the power of thinking united with
        what was 'born' in us at Christmas, and made clear all the early spring
        stirrings of new life in the external world---we united with this "becoming" of
        Nature as we thought about what we perceived. This week, this surging new life
        in the outer world would 'benumb' our souls if the force of MEMORY didn't come in to play its proper role, that of preserving the Vision the spirit has had of what it wishes to create this year.

                                                    **********************************

        Sunday, February 20th.  Moon Cancer.  Voltaire born 1694.

        Monday, February 21sth. Moon Leo. Spinoza died 1677.

        Tuesday, February 22nd. Moon Leo. Papias (Disciple of the Apostles, died as a martyr 116 A.D.) Schopenhauer born 1788.

        Wednesday, February 23rd. Moon Virgo. Full Moon.  Lazarus (the poor man in the Gospel). Lazarus (who as described in John's Gospel by Christ was awakened). Mathematician Gauss died 1855. Eduard von Hartmann born 1842.

        Thursday, February 24th. Moon Virgo.  Matthias the Apostle, chosen in Judas' place.    Gutenberg died 1468.

        Friday, February 25th. Moon Libra.   Cellini died 1571.

        Saturday, February 26th. Moon Libra.
          Jonas (the Prophet).

        Dr. Starman

        www.DrStarman.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25, 2007
          The "Calendar of the Soul"

          Dr. Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52

          days.

          constellation AQUARIUS from February 9th through March 8th in our era.
          A version of the new symbolic image of the WATER-MAN from the original
          Soul-Calendar, done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications, is
          attached to this e-mail.

          This week's mantra.
          uses symbolic images like the Zodiac image ("Imaginations") to awaken
          spiritual sight, and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing.
          experience.

          English to German.

          * M A N T R A # 4 6 *
          Die Welt, sie drohet zu bet�uben
          Der Seele eingeborene Kraft;
          Nun trete du, Erinnerung,
          Aus Geistestiefen leuchtend auf
          Und st�rke mir das Schauen
          Das nur durch Willenskr�fte
          Sich selbst erhalten kann.

          The World, it threatens to benumb
          The Soul�s inborn strength;
          Now tread you, Memory,
          Out of Spirit-Deeps enlightening
          And make strong for me Vision,
          That only through Will-Strength
          Can preserve itself.

          A partial interpretation:
          We in the Northern Hemisphere are heading towards spring and summer,
          when our inner selves once more sleep, while the Earth awakens.
          Last week, the power of thinking united with what was 'born' in us at
          Christmas, and made clear all the early spring stirrings of new life in the
          external world---we united with this "becoming" of
          Nature as we thought about what we perceived.
          This week, this surging new life in the outer world would 'benumb' our
          souls, if the force of MEMORY didn't come in to play its proper role, that
          of preserving the Vision the spirit has had --- of what it wishes to create
          this year. So, the old returns in memory to strengthen the New.

          **********************************

          some of the spiritual figures and events connected with the days.

          Sunday, February 25th. Moon Cancer. Cellini died 1571.

          Monday, February 26th. Moon Cancer. Jonas (the Prophet).

          Tuesday, February 27th. Moon Leo. Ernst Renan born 1823. Martialis (acted
          for the spreading of Christendom in Gallien in the 3rd century). Dr. Rudolf
          Steiner was born, 1861.

          Wednesday, February 28th. Moon Leo. Montaigne (the Skeptic) born 1533.
          Leander (Christian author).

          Thursday, March 1st. Moon Leo. Alcuin (teacher of Charlemagne, Christian
          author). 399 before Christ Socrates takes the poison. Swidbertus (conveyor
          of Christendom to the Frisians).

          Friday, March 2nd. Moon Virgo. 321 A.D. The celebration of Sunday begins to
          become common.

          Saturday, March 3rd. Moon Virgo. Full Moon. Kunigunder (husband Heinrich
          I).

          Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and more�.then map the best route!