Re: [steiner] Which Gospel?

  • jla
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 30, 2000
      Why can't we read a chapter a day during the 12 days?

      Jeff

      Morgan Vierheller wrote:

      Sena wrote:

        (1)The Gospel of St. John
        (2)The Gospel of St.John and its Relations to the Other Three Gospels
      I cannot amend the poll without deleting all the votes already cast, so
      I must ask those who voted for this to specify which book they mean.

              Although I did not vote for it, I would bow to the will of the group.
      The book I have is The Gospel of St. John (period:)

      Since we cannot study the entire book in 12 days, I suggest we pick a chapter with images that we can meditate with at night or use to as a focus.  I am not attached to any particular chapter.

      Looking forward to what we will discuss.
      (hopefully we will decide soon, so I can read it before hand)

      MFV

      Post to steiner@egroups.com

      Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

    • Duncan J. Fernando
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2000
        Hi Gisele,
        Nice to hear from you. There does seem to be a
        consensus developing for the collection of 1908 lectures.
        I've just ordered a copy, and should receive it within the
        next two weeks.
        I presume that the first night of Christmas is the night
        of the 25th, and the last night is the night of 5th January.
        As for the structure, one suggestion I would make
        is for a number of members to take on the responsibility of
        summarizing a chapter of the book, these summaries will be
        posted at intervals during the 12 nights, and other members
        post their responses.
        Can someone tell us how many chapters (including
        preface or introduction) there are in the book?
        I'll check whether there is some sort of calendar at
        eGroups.

        Sena

        Create a free homepage at http://www.esotericlinks.com/userpages/index.shtml

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2000
          Thanks, Morgan, for expressing your views.If you like I could
          set up another poll to decide whether we try to concentrate on
          one chapter or read the whole book, but I'll wait to see whether
          a consensus emerges in the posts. As you are familiar with the
          book it would be good if you could suggest a chapter.
                    Sena

        • starmann77@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2000
            I'd written:
            ..Say, do we want to invite folks on the other lists?>>

            Oops! I see Jeff already has.
          • Morgan Vierheller
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2000
              "Duncan J. Fernando" wrote:

              > I presume that the first night of Christmas is the night
              > of the 25th, and the last night is the night of 5th January.

              Yes.

              > As for the structure, one suggestion I would make
              > is for a number of members to take on the responsibility of
              > summarizing a chapter of the book, these summaries will be
              > posted at intervals during the 12 nights, and other members
              > post their responses.
              > Can someone tell us how many chapters (including
              > preface or introduction) there are in the book?

              There are 12 :) chapters plus an introduction by Marir Steiner.

              MFV
            • jla

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 1, 2000
                  Jeff,
                       It WILL be a majority vote (unlike some other elections). At the moment
                  there are 4 votes for St.John (1908) - Dr.Starman, Janet, Gisele, and myself.
                  Please remind me who apart from yourself is voting for St.John (1909).
                              Sena
                  http://www.esotericlinks.com

                  > Hi! I also meant "The Gospel of St. John" of 1908,I
                  > had been willing to read it for a long time but
                  > somehow it never came into my hands. This should be a
                  > great opportunity for me, John the Evangelist is my
                  > favourite and a study group linking people across
                  > continents during the magic period of the
                  > year...well,i just find it breath taking!
                  > How do we structure it?
                  > I have never done it before (I mean the twelve
                  > nights),and I have even forgot which date is the first
                  > one...could anyone remind me? Thanks,
                  > Gisele.

                  Post to steiner@egroups.com

                  Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

                • Gisele Deibeck
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 2, 2000
                    --- "Duncan J. Fernando" <sena@...> wrote: >
                    Hi Gisele,
                    > Nice to hear from you. ...........
                    I presume that the first night of Christmas
                    > is the night
                    > of the 25th, and the last night is the night of 5th
                    > January.

                    Hi Sena,
                    I am very happy about this 'holy-nights-on wire'
                    opportunity: for the past 7 years I have spent my
                    Christmas day and night on my own, and although I'd
                    rather be alone with my Angel than in a crowd intent
                    on getting drunk and eating meaningless sacrificed
                    animals, I still get the odd pang of sadness that
                    lonelyness brings sometimes...but I could never find
                    ways of participating to those kind of 'alternative'
                    Christmases, kind of 'spiritual retreats'that would
                    cost me more than a month income..

                    So, at last a spiritual inexpensive way of linking
                    with like-minded people and honour the birth of Jesus
                    Christ without getting mixed up with abundance of food
                    while others are starving, alcoholic celebrations
                    while others are suffering, and drugs-parties while
                    Lux and Arh are laughing their heads off...

                    Sounds as Finni is right though, I just found this
                    reference in the Anthr Newsletter:
                    "...during the Holy Nights which begin on the eve of
                    Christmas, 24th December, and arch in time over all of
                    us until the festival of the Three Kings on 6th
                    January."
                    I don't think we should be pedantic about this though,
                    but I must admit that Christmas Eve holds a special
                    flavour of magic in the air, that atmosphere of
                    expectancy... I don't know what the group thinks:
                    should we leave it for each one with her/himself or
                    start the link that very night?
                    Another thing is the timing: if I remember well, you
                    are in Britain Sena, same as me, and there might be
                    people from continental Europe, but what about our
                    friends in the Americas? (There could be people from
                    Africa, Asia, Australia as far as I know)
                    It would be helpful if each one joining this
                    12-nights-study-group could state where they're based
                    and if we could think about time-coordination
                    I will volunteer for a chapter but I still don't know
                    which one until I get the book.

                    Arrisentirci! Gisele

                  • jla
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 2, 2000
                      I recall on the voting section at egroups, 4 votes for the Gospel of St.John in Relation. I may have been wrong or this has changed.

                      Jeff

                      http://www.esotericlinks.com Create a free homepage at http://www.esotericlinks.com/userpages/index.shtml mailto:sena@...