Soul-Calendar, Week 44

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2003
      The "Calendar of the Soul"
        The cycle of the year can be a meditation, and Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' for this, 52 meditative mantras enabling us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in outer Nature during the year. These verses are well known ---- but the original Calendar published in 1912 ALSO had 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the Moon's phases and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days of the week. We present the whole Calendar here as it was meant to be used.
          The mantra in the original German and in translation:

      *  M A N T R A  # 4 4  *
      Ergriefend neue Sinnesreize
      Erfühlet Seelenklarheit,
      Eingedenk vollzogener Geistgeburt,
      Verwirren sprossend Weltenwerden
      Mit meines Denkens Schöpferwillen.

      Grasping new sense-arisings
      Fulfilling Soul-Clarity,
      Mindful of acheived Spirit-Birth,
      Entangling sprouting World-Becoming
      With my Thinking's Shaping-Will.

      This week's mantram:
          Last week's verse, when worked with, led us to feel how the inner spirit & soul, through the heart, gave to the mere appearance of the outer world a reality it otherwise would not have had. This week, we are heading towards spring, when our inner selves once more go to sleep while the Earth awakens: stirrings of life in the wakening outer world combine with our wills as we continue to unfold the 'spirit-birth' acheived at Christmas.

          (For those not familiar with the use of mantras:
           The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images or 'Imaginations' to awaken spiritual 'sight' and mantras or 'Inspirations' to begin spiritual 'hearing'. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I’ve kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from the English meaning to the actual German mantra. )

                                            **********************************
           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Capricornus from Jan. 5th to Feb. 8th in our era. The symbolic image of Capricorn done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday,  January 26th. Moon Sagittarius.  Polycarp (School of the Evangelist John, taken to Smyrna in old age and burned to death in the year 169).

      Monday,  January 27th. Moon Sagittarius.  John Chrysostom (Bishop to Constantinople, operated under Emperor Eudoxia, sharply censured him morally, burned 407). Mozart born 1756. Schelling born 1775. 1814 Fichte died. 1808 David Friedrich Strauss born.

      Tuesday,  January 28th. Moon Capricorn.  Day of Remembrance of Charlemagne (died 814).

      Wednesday, January 29th. Moon Capricorn. Constantine the Great (first Christian Roman Emperor, baptized shortly before his death in 312 A.D.). Theobald (advanced Christianity in England in the 13th century).

      Thursday,  January 30th. Moon Capricorn.   Alexander.

      Friday,  January 31st. Moon Aquarius. Marcella. Petrus Nolascenus.

      Saturday,  February 1st. Moon Aquarius. New Moon.  Brigid, patron saint of Ireland, died 500. Ignatius (school of the Evangelist John, by command of the Emperor Trajan torn apart by wild animals).

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 4 (Summer) *
      An Sinnesoffenbarung hingegeben,
      Verlor ich mein Eigenwesens Trieb,
      Gedankentraum, er schien
      Betäubend mir das Selbst zu rauben,
      Doch weckend nahet schon
      In Sinnenschein mir Weltendanken.

      To Senses' offerings given over
      I lose Self-Essence's Drive;
      Dreaminess of Thinking, it seems
      To stupefy me, the Self to rob,
      But a waking now approaches
      From Senses' Shining in me of World-Thinking.

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2005
        The "Calendar of the Soul"

          Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday.
           These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days. Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form.

           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation CAPRICORNUS from Jan. 5th through Feb. 8th in our era. Here's a version of the symbolic image of the SEA-GOAT in the original Soul-Calendar, done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

        This week's mantra.

        *  M A N T R A  # 4 4  *
        Ergriefend neue Sinnesreize
        Erfühlet Seelenklarheit,
        Eingedenk vollzogener Geistgeburt,
        Verwirren sprossend Weltenwerden
        Mit meines Denkens Schöpferwillen.

        Grasping new sense-arisings
        That fill the Soul with Clarity,
        Mindful of acheived Spirit-Birth,
        There mingles sprouting World-Becoming
        With my Thinking's Shaping-Will.

        This week's mantra:
           We are heading towards spring and summer, when our inner selves once more sleep while the Earth awakens.
           This week, stirrings of life in the wakening outer world combine with our conscious wills as we continue to unfold the spirit-birth acheived at Christmas.

                                                    **********************************

        Sunday, February 6th.  Moon Capricorn.  1807 Abolition of Slavery in England.

        Monday, February 7th. Moon Aquarius.   1446 Columbus born.

        Tuesday, February 8th. Moon Aquarius. New Moon.  Solomon, King of Israel. Leyden University founded 1575. David Friedrich Strauss died 1874.

        Wednesday, February 9th. Moon Pisces. Apollonia, Christian martyr in Alexandria in the 3rd century.

        Thursday, February 10th. Moon Pisces.  Theophany of Paul on the Way to Damascus. 1847 Edison born. 1755 Montesquieu died.

        Friday, February 11th. Moon Aries. 1650 Descartes died.

        Saturday, February 12th. Moon Aries.
        1804 Kant died. 1809 Darwin born.

        Dr. Starman

        www.DrStarman.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2008

          Dr. Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday.

          These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original 'Calendar ' also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days.

          Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form. I have added some details on the planets as well.

          The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation CAPRICORN from January 5th to February 8th in our era.
          A version of a new symbolic image of the SEA-GOAT (from the original Soul-Calendar, done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications) , is attached to this e-mail.

           *  M A N T R A  # 4 4  *

          Ergriefend neue Sinnesreize

          Erfühlet Seelenklarheit,

          Eingedenk vollzogener Geistgeburt,

          Verwirren sprossend Weltenwerden

          Mit meines Denkens Schöpferwillen.

          Grasping new sense-arisings

          Filling the Soul-Clarity,

          Mindful of acheived Spirit-Birth,

          Enmeshing sprouting World-Becoming

          With my Thinking’s Shaping-Will.

          This week's mantra:
          We are heading towards spring and summer, when our inner selves once more sleep while the Earth awakens.

          This week, stirrings of life in the wakening
          outer world combine with our wills as we continue to unfold the spirit-birth acheived at Christmas.

          THE DAYS OF THE WEEK

          Sunday, February 3rd. Moon Capricorn.  Ansgarius (brought Christianity to the Swedes and Danes in the 9th century).

          Monday, February 4th. Moon Capricorn.  Phileas (worker for Christianity in Egypt in the 4th century).

          Tuesday, February 5th. Moon Aquarius. Thomas Carlyle died 1881.

          Wednesday February 6th. Moon Aquarius. New Moon.  1807 Abolition of Slavery in England.

          Thursday, February 7th. Moon Pisces.  1446 Columbus born.

          Friday, February 8th. Moon Pisces. Solomon, King of Israel. Leyden University founded 1575. David Friedrich Strauss died 1874.

          Saturday, February 9th. Moon Pisces. Apollonia, Christian martyr in Alexandria in the 3rd century.

          PLANETS IN THE NIGHT & MORNING SKY (Northern Hemisphere):

             MARS rises in the East at sunset, to the north of the stars of Orion the Hunter. It is bright yellowish-red, now near the Bull's horns.

              Yellowish SATURN rises in the East before midnight, beneath the Lion, south of the Big Dipper.

              VENUS and JUPITER, the brightest objects in the sky besides Sun and Moon, can be seen as brilliant 'morning stars' in the southeast from about an hour before sunrise on till dawn, next to the stars of the Scorpion in the south. The waning crescent Moon joins them on Monday morning, so the 3 brightest things in the sky after the sun will all be together in the East before sunrise.