Soul-Calendar, Week 43

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2003
      The "Calendar of the Soul"
        The cycle of the year can be a meditation, and Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' for this, 52 meditative mantras enabling you to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as well as in outer Nature during the year. These verses are well known ---- but the original Calendar published in 1912 ALSO had 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the Moon's phases and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days of the week. We present the whole Calendar here as it was meant to be used.
          The mantra in the original German and in translation:

      *  M A N T R A  # 4 3  *
      In Winterlichen Tiefen
      Erwarmt des Geistes wahres Sein;
      Es gibt dem Weltenscheine,
      Durch Herzenskräfte Daseinsmächt
      Der Weltenkälte trotzt erstarkend
      Das Seelenfeuer in Menscheninnern.

      It Winter-like deeps
      Grows warm the Spirit's true Being;
      It gives to World-Shining
      Through Heart's strength Existence's Might,
      The World-Cold despite, there strengthens
      The Soul-Fire in Man's Innerness.

      This week's mantram:
          Last week's verse, when worked with, led us to feel the strong drive to
      continue unfolding the inner soul's power in this winter-time, and this gave us, within our hearts, a prophetic sensing of the reality to come in the coming spring and summer, when our inner selves once more sleep while the Earth awakens.
        This week, we feel how the spirit pours into the soul's fiery power growing stronger, and through the heart gives to the mere appearance of the outer world a reality it otherwise would not have.

          (For those not familiar with the use of mantras:
           The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images or 'Imaginations' to awaken spiritual 'sight' and mantras or 'Inspirations' to begin spiritual 'hearing'. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I’ve kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from the English meaning to the actual German mantra. )

                                            **********************************
           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Capricornus from Jan. 5th to Feb. 8th in our era. The symbolic image of Capricorn done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday,  January 19th. Moon Leo. James Watt born 1736.

      Monday,  January 20th. Moon Virgo. Fabian.

      Tuesday,  January 21st. Moon  Virgo. Eusebius.

      Wednesday, January 22nd. Moon Libra. Francis Bacon von Verulam born 1561. Lessing born 1729.  Byron born 1788.  Ampere born 1775.

      Thursday,  January 23rd. Moon Libra. Wedding Anniversary of Mary & Joseph.

      Friday,  January 24th. Moon Scorpio. Day of St. Timothy (School of Paul, stoned to death in Ephesus because of his preaching against the worship of Diana).

      Saturday,  January 25th. Moon Scorpio. Last Quarter. Anniversary of Paul's Conversion on the Way to Damascus. Philosopher Jacobi born 1743.

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 3 *
      Und bin ich in den Sinneshöhen,
      So flammt in meinen Seelentiefen
      Aus Geistes Feuerwelten
      Der Götter Wahrheitswort:
      In Geistesgründen suche ahnend
      Dich geistverwand zu finden.

      And when I am in the Senses' Heights
      There flames up in my Soul's Deeps
      Out of Spirit Fire-Worlds
      The Gods' Truth-Word:
      In Spirit-Ground seek expectantly
      Your spirit-relation to find.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2005
        Sorry to be late with this week's Calendar.   -starman

        The "Calendar of the Soul"

          Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday.
           These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days. Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form.

           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation CAPRICORNUS from Jan. 5th through Feb. 8th in our era. Here's a version of the symbolic image of the SEA-GOAT in the original Soul-Calendar, done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

        This week's mantra.

        *  M A N T R A  # 4 3  *
        In Winterlichen Tiefen
        Erwarmt des Geistes wahres Sein;
        Es gibt dem Weltenscheine,
        Durch Herzenskräfte Daseinsmächt
        Der Weltenkälte trotzt erstarkend
        Das Seelenfeuer in Menscheninnern.

        It Winter-like deeps
        Grows warm the Spirit's true Being;
        It gives to World-Shining
        Through Heart's strength, Existence's Might.
        Despite the World-Cold, there grows stronger
        The Soul-Fire in Man's Innerness.

           Last week's verse, when worked with, led us to feel the strong drive to
        continue unfolding the inner soul's power, and this gave us within our hearts
        a prophetic sensing of the reality to come in the coming spring and summer,
        when our inner selves once more sleep while the Earth awakens. This week, the
        spirit pours into the soul's fiery power growing stronger, and through the
        heart gives to the mere appearance of the outer world a reality it otherwise
        would not have.

                                                    **********************************

        Sunday, January 30th.  Moon  Libra.  Alexander.

        Monday, January  31st. Moon Libra.  Marcella. Petrus Nolascenus.

        Tuesday, February 1st. Moon Scorpio.   Brigid, patron saint of Ireland, died 500. Ignatius (school of the Evangelist John, by command of the Emperor Trajan torn apart by wild animals).

        Wednesday, February 2nd. Moon Scorpio. Mary's Light-mass (Candlemas). Simeon (the old man. that according to the Evangelist recognized Jesus at his presentation in the Temple).

        Thursday, February 3rd. Moon Sagittarius. Ansgarius (brought Christianity to the Swedes and Danes in the 9th century).

        Friday, February 4th. Moon Sagittarius.  Phileas (worker for Christianity in Egypt in the 4th century).

        Saturday, February 5th. Moon Capricorn.
        . Thomas Carlyle died 1881.

        Dr. Starman

        www.DrStarman.net