Re: Scientific "Mysticism", Initiation, New Birth---Death & Rebirth

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2003
      When you undergo initiation on the spiritual path, you awaken the eternal element in you, and this makes your experience after death completely different. It also completely transforms the "little death" we experience each night: sleep and the dream state. The experience of initiation into the mysteries is both a death and a new birth. We give birth to a new self, after the old one dies. The soul itself is its mother, while the spirit is the child. This can happen to each and every one of us, if we seek to awaken the higher man within us---in fact, it MUST happen to us, if we would be truly human.

      Goethe: "And so long as you do not have this, 'Die and become!'
      You are but a troubled guest on this darkened earth."

      This self can be called the Christ within-- -- and the awakening of it, a giving birth to the Divine Child. Here is one meaning of the Trinity: Nature is the Father, the soul is the Mother, and the Spirit Is the Child.

      As the mystic Angelus Silesius said,
      "Were Christ born in Bethlehem a thousand times, and not in you, you are lost eternally."

      This is what all this has to do with Christianity.  This symbols and rituals of the ancient Christian religion we have had handed down to us are, on one level, symbols of the inner re-birth that we can experience on the spiritual path.

         Unfortunately the member of our group who was going to present the chapter on Lazarus never did so, never even responded to my e-mails asking what was going on -- -- -- and this was the critical chapter connecting ancient initiations with the Christian form. So instead, I'm going to write some things here about this death and rebirth experience we undergo on the spiritual Path. I'll put in some more details then Steiner put in this early book of his, some things he added to the story later.