Re: [steiner] Higher Knowing

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2003

        *******The "spiritual scientist" must use his INNER SELF as his laboratory by performing spiritual exercises or "experiments", just as the natural scientist does experiments on parts of nature he brings into his laboratory. Buddhist spiritual exercises, Christian spiritual exercises, etc., must be experimented with to see their results.

        The difference between the spiritual scientist and the Buddhist or Christian is that we retain the reasoning mind that scientifically examines what the effects are of using all these different spiritual exercises. In this way we are able to get at the spiritual truths which underlie all of them, rather than just one.

         I have a Buddhist friend who believes the power lies in the words '"Nom Myo Renge Kyo" that he chants. Catholics may believe the power is in the prayers of the rosary, etc. But actually the power is in ourselves. It is choosing any thought, word or image and repetitively concentrating on it until such concentration is effortless that is the source of power. Even memorizing and 'chanting' song lyrics as teenagers opens up this power to a point. But specially-created mantras do more for you than random words.

          This is the purpose for the weekly mailing of the Calendar of the Soul verse along with the image of the zodiac sign. The mantra is an exercise to develop spiritual 'hearing' while the image is an Imagination which is to develop spiritual 'sight'. Steiner's lectures are filled with such mantras and Imaginations. The path of spiritual science begins with taking in the teachings of the science clothed in ideas, and then goes on to choosing thoughts, mantras and Imaginations to repeatedly concentrate upon. But we do this in full consciousness, using our inner selves as a laboratory in which to do spiritual or soul 'experiments'.