Soul-Calendar, Week 42

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2003

      The "Calendar of the Soul"
        The cycle of the year can be a meditation, and Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' for this, 52 meditative mantras enabling you to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as well as in outer Nature during the year. These verses are well known ---- but the original Calendar published in 1912 ALSO had 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the Moon's phases and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days of the week. We present the whole Calendar here as it was meant to be used.
          The mantra in the original German and in translation:

      *  M A N T R A  # 4 2  *
      Es ist in diesem Winterdunkel
      Die offenbarung eigner krafte
      Der Seele starker Trieb,
      In Finsternisse sie zu lenken,
      Und ahnend vorzufühlen
      Durch Herzenswärme Sinnesoffenbarung.

      It is in this Winter-dimness
      The revealing of its own Strength
      The Soul's strong Drive,
      In Darkness so to lead,
      And feeling full of presentiment
      Through Heart's Warmth, Senses' Revelation.

      This week's mantra:
           Last week's verse, when worked with, led us to feel how the power working
      in the foundation of the soul strove outward, so that divine forces could
      pour themselves into what we create, both in our love and in our work. This
      week we feel the strong drive to continue unfolding this power, and this
      gives us within our hearts a prophetic sensing of the reality to come in the
      coming spring and summer, when our inner selves once more sleep while the
      earth awakens.

          (For those not familiar with the use of mantras:
           The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images or 'Imaginations' to awaken spiritual 'sight' and mantras or 'Inspirations' to begin spiritual 'hearing'. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I’ve kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from the English meaning to the actual German mantra. )

           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Capricornus from Jan. 5th to Feb. 8th in our era. The symbolic image of Capricorn done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday,  January 12th. Moon Taurus. Gottschalk, Christian King in the 11th century.

      Monday,  January 13th. Moon Gemini. Bernard of Clairveaux.

      Tuesday,  January 14th. Moon Gemini. Reis, inventor of the telephone, died 1874.

      Wednesday, January 15th. Moon Gemini. Macarius, celebrated Egyptian hermit of 4th century.

      Thursday,  January 16th. Moon Cancer.  Faustus (lived in Alexandria in 3rd century). Historical writer Gibbon died 1794.

      Friday,  January 17th. Moon Cancer.  Benjamin Franklin born 1706.

      Saturday,  January 18th. Moon Leo. Full Moon. Montesquieu born 1689.

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 2 (St. John's Tide) *
      Der Welten Schönheitsglanz,
      Er zwinget mich aus Seelentiefen
      Des Eigenlebens Götterkrafte
      Zum Weltenfluge zu entbinden;
      Mich selber zu verlassen,
      Vertrauend nur mich suchend
      Im Weltenlicht und Weltenwärme.

      The world's beautiful glitter
      Forces me, out of Soul's Deeps,
      My individual life's godly forces
      To World-Flowing to release;
      My self to abandon
      Trusting only in my seeking
      In World-Light and World-Warmth.

      *******P.S. The bright yellowish 'star' the Moon will be seen to pass close to Tuesday and Wednesday nights is the planet Saturn. The full moon Saturday night will be seen close to the much brighter, whitish 'star' of the planet Jupiter.