Continuing: Scientific "Mysticism", Initiation, New Birth

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2003
      Here's some of what we've gained from the Holy Nights study:

      Steiner:"The means of cognition which so many people who assume that they

      stand on firm natural scientific ground, would like to use, simply do not embrace the facts of this natural science. ... full understanding of our present marvelous knowledge of nature can be combined with genuine mysticism."

      *******In other words, even the consciousness needed by a person to understand natural science must go beyond 'Nature', or that which is studied, because we human beings are MORE than Nature.  So it is not enough for understanding the spiritual life of ourselves; what he's calls 'mystical consciousness' MUST be added to it.
          We are not seeking some state OTHER than our waking consciousness with our normal perception of the world---- the same that is used in natural science. We are seeking to ADD to that, intensify it, go beyond it, extend it----but always keeping our scientific minds which are able to understand what we experience. That is what Steiner means by Anthroposophy. For instance, we can transform our inner experience in meditation, transform our dream life, transform our sleep state -- -- -- but always, our reasoning minds are in control and able to understand what we experience, just as they reflect on and understand what the senses perceive in nature. This is why he called it "spiritual science."

      The Mysteries

      There is in every ancient religion an "exoteric" and an "esoteric" part. The exoteric parts of the religion are those which can be given out to the public, committed to writing, etc.-- -- -- but besides these outer parts, every religion has a secret Center, where people must be judged worthy of entering, and then have the real essential truth of the religion revealed to them.  This doesn't mean just information, but "initiating" a person into experiencing the spiritual and divine. We can still see this in eastern religions, where there are the sacred scriptures and the religious rituals done in temples, but in order to experience the divine, one must enter a yoga 'ashram' or sacred Temple school and learn meditation under the guidance of a guru. Every ancient religion had a similar esoteric Center: in the Hebrew religion it was called the Qabala, for instance. Among the Greeks and Romans, this was called The Mysteries.

         And the same thing is still true today. there is the outer form of religions -- -- -- the churches, the rituals, the Scriptures -- -- -- but then, there is also the esoteric and spiritual essence. People who were not satisfied with just the external side of religion in ancient times would seek a community of priest-sages and apply for "initiation" into this esoteric knowledge, and all of us today can do the same thing-- -- -- with the difference that the Brotherhood today is one of spiritual beings, who will work with you on the spiritual plane.

          Steiner describes what a person is like before "initiation", and afterwards. The common man, meaning all of us at first, believes that what our senses give us is "real" and what our thinking gives us is "not as real". Initiation reverses all this. Perception by the senses is a lower reality then what pure inner experience like thinking gives us. What we believe is true before initiation is the exact opposite of the truth.
          It's proper that we rely on our senses in ordinary life, and nothing that they tell us is denied by the higher knowledge gained through initiation; but rather, we now experience a higher reality which manifests from above THROUGH the things of the senses.

         But walking the spiritual path of initiation will destroy at first the "certainty" that the ordinary man has in his sense perceptions. This is the inner "death and rebirth" experience one undergoes on the spiritual path. It can take many forms, but it always involves a complete transformation of your inner being, and results in an experience of the Eternal which you didn't have before. (A simple common form of this can be seen in the people who have undergone a near death experience and completely changed their lives afterwards. They have undergone something that used to be induced deliberately in ancient times.)

          When you undergo initiation on the spiritual path, you awaken the eternal element in you, and this makes your experience after death completely different. It also completely transforms the "little death" we experience each night: sleep and the dream state. The experience of initiation into the mysteries is both a death and a new birth. We give birth to a new self, after the old one has died. The soul itself is its mother, while the spirit is the child. This can happen to each and every one of us, if we seek to awaken the higher man within us---in fact, it MUST happen to us, if we would be truly human.

          Goethe: "And so long as you do not have this, 'Die and become!'
      You are but a troubled guest on this darkened earth."

         This self can be called the Christ within-- -- and the awakening of it, a giving birth to the Divine Child. Here is one meaning of the Trinity: Nature is the Father, the soul is the Mother, and the Spirit Is the Child.

         As the mystic Angelus Silesius said,
      "Were Christ born in Bethlehem a thousand times, and not in you, you are lost eternally."

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2003

        Continuing to work with what we've gained from our study.

[...]

        And the same thing is still true today. there is the outer form of religions -- -- -- the churches, the rituals, the Scriptures -- -- -- but then, there is also the esoteric and spiritual essence. People who were not satisfied with just the external side of religion in ancient times would seek a community of priest-sages and apply for "initiation" into this esoteric knowledge, and all of us today can do the same thing-- -- -- with the difference that the Brotherhood today is one of spiritual beings, who will work with you on the spiritual plane. The Catholic tradition of various 'Saints' who are now 'mediators' between us and the Divine is a result of this knowledge being handed down fragmentarily.

          Steiner describes what a person is like before "initiation", and afterwards. All of us at first believe that what our senses give us is "real" and what our thinking gives us is "not as real". Initiation reverses all this. Perception by the senses is a lower reality than what pure inner experience, like thinking, gives us. What we believe is true before initiation is the exact opposite of the truth we come to know through it.

          It's proper that we rely on our senses in ordinary life, and nothing that they tell us is DENIED by the higher knowledge gained through initiation; but rather, we now experience a higher reality which manifests from above THROUGH the things of the senses.

        But walking the spiritual path of initiation will destroy at first the "certainty" that the ordinary man has in his sense perceptions. This is the inner "death and rebirth" experience one undergoes on the spiritual path. It can take many forms, but it always involves a 'dying away' and complete transformation of your inner being, and results in an experience of the Eternal which you didn't have before.

          When you undergo initiation on the spiritual path, you awaken the eternal element in you, and this makes your experience after death completely different. It also completely transforms the "little death" we experience each night: sleep and the dream state. The experience of initiation into the mysteries is both a death and a new birth. We give birth to a new self, after the old one dies. The soul itself is its mother, while the spirit is the child. This can happen to each and every one of us, if we seek to awaken the higher man within us---in fact, it MUST happen to us, if we would be truly human.

          Goethe: "And so long as you do not have this, 'Die and become!'
        You are but a troubled guest on this darkened earth."

        This self can be called the Christ within-- -- and the awakening of it, a giving birth to the Divine Child. Here is one meaning of the Trinity: Nature is the Father, the soul is the Mother, and the Spirit Is the Child.

        As the mystic Angelus Silesius said,
        "Were Christ born in Bethlehem a thousand times, and not in you, you are lost eternally."

          This is what all this has to do with Christianity.  This symbols and rituals of the ancient Christian religion we have had handed down to us are, on one level, symbols of the inner re-birth that we can experience on the spiritual path.