virus alert

  • Charlie Morrison
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2003
      My wife has just received an e-mail an extract of which you'll find below.
      It concerns a virus with the file name jdbgmgr.exe. I have just found and
      deleted the file from our computer, so I suggest everyone check their hard
      drives just in case.

      P.S. I'm sorry I couldn't take part in the 12 Holy Nights study. I've saved all the posts to look at when I get the time, which is, though far for ideal, better than nothing.

      warm regards,
      Charlie.

      ***
      >THIS IS URGENT. A virus has been passed on to
      us by a contact. Our
      > > address book in turn has been infected. Since
      you are in my address book
      > > there is a chance that you will find it
      in your computer also.

      > > I followed the instructions
      below and eradicated the virus easily.
      > > The virus (called
      jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by Norton or Macafee
      > > anti-virus
      system. This virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging
      >the
      > > system. It is sent automically by messenger and the address
      book,
      >whether
      > > or not you send e-mails to your
      contacts.
      > > Here's how to check for the virus and get rid of
      it:

      > > 1. Go to start, Find or Search option
      > >
      > > 2. In the file/folders option, type the name :
      jdbgmgr.exe

      > > 3. Be sure you search your C-drive and all
      the sub-files and any other
      > > drives you may have
      > >
      > > 4. Click : "Find now"
      > >
      > > 5. The virus
      has a grey teddy bear icon with the name jdbghgr.exe - DO
      >NOT
      > > OPEN IT!
      > >
      > > 6. Go to edit (on the menu bar) and
      choose SELECT ALL to highlight the
      >file
      > > without opening
      it.

      > > 7. Now go to the File (on the menu bar) and select
      DELETE. It will then
      >go
      > > to the recycle bin.
      > >
      > > 8. Go to the Recycle Bin and delete it there as well.
      > >
      > > IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, you must contact all the people in your
      address
      > > book, so that they can eradicate it in their own address
      books.

      > > To do this:
      > >
      > > 1. Open a
      new e-mail message

      > > 2. Click the icon of the address
      book next to the "To"

      > > 3. Highlight evey name and add
      to "BCC"

      > > 4. Copy this message, enter subject and paste
      to e-mail, and send

      > > Remember you have to do this
      quickly.

    • George Thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 10, 2003
        Has anyone else noticed a similarity between
        Michelangelo's depiction of the attitude of the hands
        of Adam and the Creator in the Sistine Chapel and the
        attitude of the hands of one who is knitting?

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • LilOleMiss
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 10, 2003
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 10, 2003
            I received the following reply from another group. Please accept my apologies for sending the original post before checking further. Hopefully no harm has been done.

            warm regards,
            Charlie.

            *******
            According to Symantec, this is a hoax:

            http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

            It won't hurt your system to delete the file if you have already done so,
            unless you use "Microsoft Visual J++ 1.1 to develop Java programs on Windows
            XP, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows 98, or Windows 95."
            Instructions to recover are located at the link above.

            Jeanine
            *******