Soul-Calendar, Week 41 after Easter

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2003
      The "Calendar of the Soul"
        The cycle of the year can be a meditation, and Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' for this, 52 meditative mantras enabling you to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as well as in outer Nature during the year. These verses are well known ---- but the original Calendar published in 1912 ALSO had 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the Moon's phases and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days of the week. We present the whole Calendar here as it was meant to be used.
          The mantra in the original German and in translation:
      *  M A N T R A  # 4 1  *
      Der Seele Schaffensmacht,
      Sie strebet aus dem Herzensgrunde,
      Im Menschenleben Gotterkräft
      Zu rechtem Wirken zu entflammen,
      Sich selber zu gestalten
      Im Menschenliebe und im Menschenwerke.

      The Soul's Shaping-Might
      It strives from out of Heart's Ground,
      In Man's Life Godly Stength
      To righteous Work to enflame,
      So itself to form
      In Man's Love and in Man's Work.

      This week's mantra:
           Last week's mantra, when worked with, led us to feel how our selfhood, which would otherwise remain an illusionary, was made real by the fiery power of the World-Word, through Love. This week, this power working in the foundation of the soul strives outward, so that these fiery divine forces can pour themselves into what we create, both in our love and in our work.
          (For those not familiar with the use of mantras:
           The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images or 'Imaginations' to awaken spiritual 'sight' and mantras or 'Inspirations' to begin spiritual 'hearing'. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I’ve kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from the English meaning to the actual German mantra. )

                                            **********************************
           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Capricornus from Jan. 5th to Feb. 8th in our era. The symbolic image of Capricorn done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday,  January 5th. Moon Aquarius. 12th Day of Christmas. Francis Drake died 1596.

      Monday,  January 6th. Moon Pisces.  Epiphany, the Festival of the Appearance of Christ. Day of the 3 Holy Kings. Joan of Arc born 1412. Schliemann born 1822.

      Tuesday,  January 7th. Moon Pisces.  Lucian, the Editor-in-Chief of the Greek Bible text in the 3rd cent. A.D. in Antioch, who had 70 assistants.

      Wednesday, January 8th. Moon Aries. Galileo died 1642.

      Thursday,  January 9th. Moon Aries.  Adrian, who brought Christianity to Norway in the 12th century.

      Friday,  January 10th. Moon Aries. First Quarter. Linnaeus died 1778.

      Saturday,  January 11th. Moon Taurus. Friedrich von Schlegel died 1829.

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 1 *
      Es ist in dieser Sonnenstunde
      An dir, die weise Kunde zu enkennen;
      An Weltenschönheit hingegeben,
      In dir dich fühlend zu durchleben:
      Verlieren kann das Menschen-Ich
      Und finden sich im Welten-Ich.

      It is in this sun-hour
      For you, the wise prophecy to know;
      To World-Beauty given over,
      In you you feel to live through:
      Man's I can lose itself
      And find itself in the World-I.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 13, 2008

        Dr. Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday.

        These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original 'Calendar ' also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days.

        Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form. I have added some details on the planets as well.

        The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation CAPRICORN from January 5th to February 8th in our era.
        A version of a new symbolic image of the SEA-GOAT (from the original Soul-Calendar, done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications) , is attached to this e-mail.

         *  M A N T R A  # 4 1  *

        Der Seele Schaffensmacht,

        Sie strebet aus dem Herzensgrunde,

        Im Menschenleben Gotterkräft

        Zu rechtem Wirken zu entflammen,

        Sich selber zu gestalten

        Im Menschenliebe und im Menschenwerke.

        The Soul's Shaping-Might

        It strives from out of Heart's Ground,

        In Man's Life Godly Stength

        To righteous Work to enflame,

        So itself to form

        In Man's Love and in Man's Work.

           Last week's mantra, when worked with, led us to feel how our selfhood, which would otherwise remain an illusionary, was made real by the fiery power of the World-Word, through LOVE.

           This week, this power working in the foundation of the soul strives outward, so that these fiery divine forces can pour themselves into what we create, both in our love AND in our WORK.

        THE DAYS OF THE WEEK

        Sunday, January 13th. Moon Aries. Bernard of Clairveaux.

        Monday, January 14th. Moon Aries. First Quarter. Reis, inventor of the telephone,  died 1874.

        Tuesday, January 15th. Moon Taurus.  Macarius, celebrated Egyptian hermit of 4th century.

        Wednesday January 16th. Moon Taurus.  Faustus (lived in Alexandria in 3rd century). Historical writer Gibbon died 1794.

        Thursday, January 17th. Moon Taurus. Benjamin Franklin born 1706.

        Friday, January 18th. Moon Gemini. Montesquieu born 1689.

        Saturday, January 19th. Moon Gemini.  James Watt born 1736.

        PLANETS IN THE NIGHT & MORNING SKY (Northern Hemisphere):

           MARS rises in the East at sunset, to the north of the stars of Orion the Hunter. It is bright yellowish-red, at its greatest brilliancy because nearest the earth, near the Twins of Gemini. The moon, nearly full, will be seen near it Friday and Saturday nights.

            Yellowish SATURN rises in the East before midnight, near the Lion, south of the Big Dipper.

            VENUS can be seen as a brilliant 'morning star' in the southeast from about two hours before sunrise on till dawn.

        Put your friends on the big screen with Windows Vista® + Windows Live™. Start now!
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 30, 2008
          ******* Sorry to be sending this week's calendar late. -starman

          The 'CALENDAR OF THE SOUL'

          Dr. Rudolf Steiner
          gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday. We experience this unconsciously all through the year, but these meditative verses enable us to become conscious of it.

          The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation SAGITTARIUS from December 1st to January 4th in our era.
          A version of a new symbolic image of the ARCHER from the original Soul-Calendar, done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications, is attached to this e-mail.

           *  M A N T R A  # 4 1  *

          Der Seele Schaffensmacht,

          Sie strebet aus dem Herzensgrunde,

          Im Menschenleben Gotterkräft

          Zu rechtem Wirken zu entflammen,

          Sich selber zu gestalten

          Im Menschenliebe und im Menschenwerke.

          The Soul's Shaping-Might

          It strives from out of Heart's Ground,

          In Man's Life Godly Stength

          To righteous Work to enflame,

          So itself to form

          In Man's Love and in Man's Work.

          An interpretation based on working with the verse:

             Last week's mantra, when worked with, led us to feel how our selfhood, which would otherwise remain illusionary, was made real by the fiery power of the World-Word, through Love.

            This week, this power working in the foundation of the soul strives outward, so that these fiery divine forces can pour themselves into what we create, both in our love and in our work.

          1/2   1/3

          THE DAYS OF THE WEEK:

          Sunday, December 28th. Moon Capricorn.     Day of Remembrance of the Innocent Children murdered by Herod.

          Monday, December 29th. Moon Aquarius.     The Prophet Nathan.  Malthus the national economist died 1834.

          Tuesday, December 30th. Moon Aquarius.      Day of David, King of Israel.

          Wednesday, December 31st. Moon Pisces.       J. Wycleff died 1384.

          Thursday, January 1st. Moon Pisces.      Ulrich Zwingli born 1484.

          Friday, January 2nd. Moon Pisces.        Adam's Sons Abel and Seth. Melchior, one of the holy 3 Kings. Lavater died 1801.

          Saturday, January 3rd Moon Aries.      Caspar, one of the holy 3 Kings. Enoch, Father of Methusalah. Slavery lifted in North America 1865.

          PLANETS IN THE NIGHT SKY:

             VENUS is the bright white 'star' in the southwest every night at sunset. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights, the first crescent of the New Moon passes close to it. Lower on the horizon, bright JUPITER can still be seen in the West just above the setting sun's glow, although it will become invisible soon. Monday and Tuesday nights, the elusive planet MERCURY may also be seen close to Jupiter.

             SATURN can be seen amongst the stars of the Lion, rising in the East after midnight.

          Life on your PC is safer, easier, and more enjoyable with Windows Vista®. See how
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 9, 2011
          • 1 Attachment
          • 18 KB

              Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form, with some details added on the planets in the night sky this week as well.

                                                                 *******
                      THE ZODIAC IMAGE
             The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation CAPRICORN from Jan. 5th through Feb. 8th in our era.  A version (done by Margaret Roessler) of a new symbolic image of the SEA-GOAT from the original Soul-Calendar (created originally by artist Imma von Eckherdstein from Dr. Steiner's sketches & indications) ----in an approximation of the color he said corresponded to the sign, one of 5 shades of  "purple" we can't yet actually perceive ---- is attached to this e-mail.

           *  M A N T R A  # 4 1  *

          Der Seele Schaffensmacht,

          Sie strebet aus dem Herzensgrunde,

          Im Menschenleben Gotterkräft

          Zu rechtem Wirken zu entflammen,

          Sich selber zu gestalten

          Im Menschenliebe und im Menschenwerke.

          The Soul's Shaping-Might

          It strives from out of Heart's Ground,

          In Man's Life Godly Stength

          To righteous Work to enflame,

          So itself to form

          In Man's Love and in Man's Work.

          An interpretation of the mantra:

             Last week's mantra, when worked with, led us to feel how our selfhood, which would otherwise remain illusionary, was made real by the fiery power of the World-Word, through Love. This week, this power working in the foundation of the soul strives outward, so that these fiery divine forces can pour themselves into what we create, both in our love and in our work.

                    THE DAYS OF THE WEEK:

          Sunday, January 9th. Moon Pisces.  Adrian, who brought Christianity to Norway in the 12th century.

          Monday,  January 10th.  Moon Aries.  Linnaeus died 1778.

          Tuesday,  January 11th. Moon Aries. First Quarter.  Friedrich von Schlegel died 1829.

          Wednesday,  January 12thMoon Taurus. Gottschalk, Christian King in the 11th century.

          Thursday,  January 13thMoon Taurus. Bernard of Clairveaux.

          Friday,  January 14th. Moon Taurus.  Reis, inventor of the telephone,  died 1874.

          Saturday,   January 15th. Moon Gemini.  Macarius, celebrated Egyptian hermit of 4th century.

          ******* PLANETS IN THE NIGHT SKY:
          Brilliant white JUPITER may be seen in the southwestern sky till about midnight. The crescent moon is near it Sunday and Monday nights.

          ******* PLANETS IN THE MORNING SKY:
          The brilliant "morning star" Venus is seen in the East every day before sunrise. Yellowish Saturn is visible directly south until shortly before sunrise.

          Message 5 of 6 , Jan 13, 2013
          • 1 Attachment
          • 18 KB

               The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation CAPRICORN from January 5th through Feb. 8th in our era. A version (done by Margot Roessler) of a new symbolic image of the GOAT from the original Soul-Calendar (created originally by artist Imma von Eckherdstein from Dr. Steiner's sketches & indications) in the color he said corresponded to the sign, one of 5 shades of 'Magenta' we can't yet actually see, is attached to this e-mail.

          * MANTRA # 41 *

          Der Seele Schaffensmacht,

          Sie strebet aus dem Herzensgrunde,

          Im Menschenleben Gotterkräft

          Zu rechtem Wirken zu entflammen,

          Sich selber zu gestalten

          Im Menschenliebe und im Menschenwerke.

          The Soul's Shaping-Might

          It strives from out of Heart's Ground,

          In Man's Life Godly Strength

          To righteous Work to enflame,

          So itself to form

          In Man's Love and in Man's Work.

             Last week's mantra, when worked with, led us to feel how our selfhood, which would otherwise remain an illusion, was made real by the fiery power of the World-Word, through Love.

               This week, this power working in the foundation of the soul strives outward, so that these fiery divine forces can pour themselves into what we create, both in our love and in our work.

          THE DAYS OF THE WEEK:

          Sunday, January 13th. Moon Aquarius. Bernard of Clairveaux.

          Monday, January 14th. Moon Pisces  Reis, inventor of the telephone,  died 1874.

          Tuesday, January 15th. Moon Pisces Macarius, celebrated Egyptian hermit of 4th century.

          Wednesday,  January 16th. Moon Aries.   Faustus (lived in Alexandria in 3rd century). Historical writer Gibbon died 1794.

          Thursday,  January 17th. Moon Aries.   Benjamin Franklin born 1706.

          Friday
           January 18th. Moon Taurus. Last Quarter.   Montesquieu born 1689.

          Saturday,
           January 19th. Moon Taurus.  James Watt born 1736.

          ******* PLANETS IN THE EVENING SKY:

             Jupiter is the bright white 'star' in the east that dominates the night sky, already risen at sunset, next to the bright orange-red star Aldebaran, the Eye of the Bull of Taurus.

          Message 6 of 6 , Jan 5, 2014

                 The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation CAPRICORNUS from January 5th through February 8th in our era. A version (done by Margot Roessler) of a new symbolic image of the GOAT-FISH from the original Soul-Calendar (created originally by artist Imma von Eckherdstein from Dr. Steiner's sketches & indications) in the color he said corresponded to the sign, a shade of 'magenta' we cannot yet see, is attached to this e-mail.

[...]

            Sunday, January 5th. Moon Pisces.

            12th Day of Christmas. Francis Drake died 1596.

            Monday, January 6th. Moon Aries.
            Epiphany, the Festival of the Appearance of Christ. Day of the 3 Holy Kings. Joan of Arc born 1412. Schliemann born 1822.

            Tuesday, January 7th. Moon Aries. First Quarter.
            Lucian, the Editor-in-Chief of the Greek Bible text in the 3rd cent. A.D. in Antioch, who had 70 assistants.

            Wednesday,  January 8th. Moon Taurus.
            Galileo died 1642.

            Thursday, January 9th. Moon Taurus.
            Adrian, who brought Christianity to Norway in the 12th century.

            Friday  January 10th. Moon Taurus.
            Linnaeus died 1778.

            Saturday,  January 11th. Moon Gemini.   Friedrich von Schlegel died 1829.

            ******* PLANETS IN THE EVENING SKY:

               Venus is the bright white 'star' in the West at sunset. It will soon vanish into the Sun and no longer be an evening star.
              In the East, Jupiter rises next to the Twins about 6 P.M.