Re: [steiner] Next Chapter: The Gospels

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2003
      info@... writes:
      To me, these are the main parts of the "Gospel" chapter:
      "Thus it is first of all necessary to read the Gospels in the right way: then we shall know in what manner they speak of the Founder of Christianity. Their intention is to report in the style in which communications were made through the Mysteries. They narrate in the way a mystic would speak of an initiate. However, they give the initiation as the unique characteristic of one unique Being. And they make the salvation of humanity depend on the fact that men cleave to this uniquely initiated Being. What had come to the initiates was the “Kingdom of God.” This unique Being has brought the Kingdom to all who will cleave to him. What was formerly the personal concern of each individual has become the common concern of all those willing to acknowledge Jesus as their Lord."
      "He wished to plant unshakably in human hearts, in the form of faith, the certainty that the divine really exists. A man who stands outside initiation and has this faith certainly will go further than one who is without it. It must have weighed on the heart of Jesus like a nightmare that among those standing outside there may have been many unable to find the way. He wished to lessen the gulf between those to be initiated and the “people.” Christianity was to be a means by which everyone could find the way. If anyone is not yet ready, at least he is not cut off from the possibility of sharing, to a certain degree unconsciously, in the stream flowing through the Mysteries."

      *******So that even those not ready for initiation are being helped along by their simple Christian faith. We who are pursuing initiation should keep this in mind when dealing with people who are not ready for it, but instead are fixed in this or that Christian religion.

      A side-though arises to me. It is about paralellities to the foundation of the Anthroposophical Society. "What was formerly the personal concern of each individual has become the common concern of all those willing..."
      There have been questions about if the members are members in the society founded at Christmas 1923 (Anthroposophical Society) or in the society of the so called "General Anthroposophical Society". To me, this looked like a good reason to look over the idea of such a society "of common concern". However, a few days ago a meeting at Dornach resulted in a simple switch carried out of the leaderboard: The members of the Vorstand of the General Anthroposophical Society were individually elected into the Vorstand of the Anthroposophical society.

      *******That's not a very good representation of what just happened: it makes me wonder if you are a member of the Society. For those who are not, what he's referring to is that the Anthroposophical Society was founded in 1923 but a different organization was in charge of the society's building which is its headquarters, the Goetheanum in Switzerland. Along the way over the past eighty years, there was some confusion between the two organizations legally. It all has to do with minor legal issues, but there are a lot of people who would like to be big shots in the organization, mainly disgruntled anthroposophists who regard their insights as superior to the people presently elected to be in charge, and these folks have been harping on these trivial legal points to try to call an extraordinary general membership meeting allegedly for the purpose of resolving the legal issues, but actually to try to do who knows wha (because almost anything could be done at an extraordinary general membership meeting). It's an old tactic.

         The leadership of the society, which is called the "Vorstand", ignored this stuff for quite some time, then formed a committee to investigate the legal issues and recommend how to resolve them, with the result that they have been advertising a special meeting for many months now which was just held at Christmas time, and which I believe any members could have attended, where they reincorporated the society in a way that resolves all the legal issues. Undoubtedly the people who have an an ulterior motive will still keep saying the same things, but that entire matter is actually now closed.