Calendar of the Soul, Week 40 After Easter

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2002
      The "Calendar of the Soul"
        The cycle of the year can be a meditation, and Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' for this, 52 meditative mantras enabling you to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as well as in outer Nature during the year. These verses are well known to many ---- but the original Calendar published in 1912 ALSO had 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the Moon's phases and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days of the week. We present the whole Calendar here as it was meant to be used.
          The mantra in the original German and in translation:

      *  M A N T R A  # 4 0  *
      Und bin ich in den Geistestiefen,
      Erfüllt in meinen Seelengrunden
      Aus herzens Liebewelten,
      Der Eigenheiten leerer Wahn
      Sich mit dem Weltenwortes Feuerkraft.

      And when I am in the Spirit-Deeps,
      Fulfilled in my Soul's Ground
      Out of Heart's Love-World
      The selfhood's empty illusion
      Is with the World-Word's Fire-Strength.

      This week's mantra:
           Last week we felt given over to the revelations coming from our inner Spirit to gain the experiencing of the Light that infuses the outer world, and the power of thinking (which we do with the spirit) gave us the feeling of ourselves as a reality in the world. This week, this reality of selfhood, which would otherwise remain an illusion, is made real by the fiery power of the World-Word, through Love.

        (For those not familiar with the use of mantras:
           The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images or 'Imaginations' to awaken spiritual 'sight' and mantras or 'Inspirations' to begin spiritual 'hearing'. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I’ve kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from the English meaning to the actual German mantra. )

                                            **********************************
           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Sagittarius from Dec. 1st to Jan. 4th in our era. The symbolic image of the 'Archer' done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday, December 29th. Moon Scorpio. The Prophet Nathan.  Malthus the national economist died 1834.

      Monday, December 30th. Moon Sagittarius.   Day of David, King of Israel.

      Tuesday, December 31sth. Moon Sagittarius.  J. Wycleff died 1384.

      Wednesday, January 1st. Moon Capricorn.  Ulrich Zwingli born 1484.

      Thursday,  January 2nd. Moon Capricorn. New Moon.  Adam's Sons Abel and Seth. Melchior, one of the holy 3 Kings. Lavater died 1801.

      Friday,  January 3rd. Moon Capricorn.  Caspar, one of the holy 3 Kings. Enoch, Father of Methusalah. Slavery lifted in North America 1865.

      Saturday,  January 4th. Moon Aquarius.  Balthasar, one of the holy 3 Kings. Methusalah, died shortly before the Flood, which legend says happened in his 969th  year. Jacob Grimm born 1785. Mos. Mendelssohn died 1786.

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 0 *
      Zu sommerlichen Höhen
      Erhebt der Sonne leuchtend Wesen sich;
      Es nimmt mein menschlich Fühlen