Re: [steiner] Which Gospel?

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 30, 2000
      Sena:

      I meant the Gospel of St. John -- I haven't read the other one, but it sounds interesting.

      Janet

      "Duncan J. Fernando" wrote:

      Dear Members,
              I seem to have made a blunder in devising the poll. As of this
      evening (the 30th), there is a clear majority for The Gospel of St.John.
      I have not read this book, and I now discover that there are two books by
      Steiner:
        (1)The Gospel of St. John
        (2)The Gospel of St.John and its Relations to the Other Three Gospels
      I cannot amend the poll without deleting all the votes already cast, so
      I must ask those who voted for this to specify which book they mean.

                  Sena

      eLerts
      http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/176594/_/975617646/

      Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

    • Duncan J. Fernando
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 30, 2000

      • starmann77@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 30, 2000
          In a message dated 11/30/00 3:55:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          sena@... writes:

          << Dear Members,
          I seem to have made a blunder in devising the poll. As of this
          evening (the 30th), there is a clear majority for The Gospel of St.John.
          I have not read this book, and I now discover that there are two books by
          Steiner:
          (1)The Gospel of St. John
          (2)The Gospel of St.John and its Relations to the Other Three Gospels
          I cannot amend the poll without deleting all the votes already cast, so
          I must ask those who voted for this to specify which book they mean.

          Sena >>
          I thought that at the time, but events moved too quickly.

          I cast my vote for the original Gospel of John 1908 lectures, as these were
          the first on the Bible Steiner gave, the start of the work. Then he did the
          other lectures you mention, then Luke, Matthew, and finally Mark. So why not
          start with the ones he started with? Also, they've always held a special
          place for me as one of the first lecture-cycles of Steiner's I ever read.

          P.S. The 'John' referred to is St. John the Evangelist, not John the Baptist
          who we celebrate St. John's Day for, although the two are occultly connected.
          John was associated with the sign Scorpio and the Eagle, which of course is
          the fall.

          Dr. Starman
        • jla
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 30, 2000

            It has been suggested at Steiner@... that a cycle of lectures from the Gospel lectures of RS be read as a community during the 12 day period of Christmas. For those who want to join in with other groups, here are the details below. It looks like the choices are the following two mentioned below by majority votes. This by the way is not just a exercise of personal devotion but can have profound influence as the community reads the same chapters each day. This not only will "light up" the those who are "listening" in the next world but will help support the general thought atmosphere concerning these events in the Akashic Records benefiting many more in the future. The principle of empowerment is found in the words, "when two or more are gathered in His Name".

            jeff Auen

            Dear Members,
                    I seem to have made a blunder in devising the poll. As of this
            evening (the 30th), there is a clear majority for The Gospel of St.John.
            I have not read this book, and I now discover that there are two books by
            Steiner:
              (1)The Gospel of St. John
              (2)The Gospel of St.John and its Relations to the Other Three Gospels
            I cannot amend the poll without deleting all the votes already cast, so
            I must ask those who voted for this to specify which book they mean.

                        Sena

            The Gospel of St. John and Its Relations to the Other Three Gospels was the work I voted for.
            It is a profound historical  overview covering ancient and modern Initiation, Christian Initiation practices at the time of Christ; pre-history and the historical place of Christ Jesus in evolution. Very deep and profound and one of the most devotional deliveries RS gave in the Gospel series. I am sure if enough people want this cycle, I can order this  book or the Gospel of St. John (paperback 8.95) at discounted rates from AP Press and pass this along. I have a wholesale account with AP Press and need 5 copies min for purchase. If enough want it, they can call me and I can process the order and have it dropped shipped to them at 30% off retail pricing. If this is the book people want to start with, I will need credit card info by net or  fax or phone and I will collect enough for the order. You will not be sorry to own it for your library. For many years this was the only book I read during the holiday period. The book comes in hardcover only run $18.00 plus about 4.00 shipping. For those wanting to go direct and ignore some of the savings, AP press is running a 15% discount for the holidays.

            Jeff

          • jla

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 30, 2000
                Hi! I also meant "The Gospel of St. John" of 1908,I
                had been willing to read it for a long time but
                somehow it never came into my hands. This should be a
                great opportunity for me, John the Evangelist is my
                favourite and a study group linking people across
                continents during the magic period of the
                year...well,i just find it breath taking!
                How do we structure it?
                I have never done it before (I mean the twelve
                nights),and I have even forgot which date is the first
                one...could anyone remind me? Thanks,
                Gisele.

              • Morgan Vierheller
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 30, 2000

                  Sena wrote:

                    (1)The Gospel of St. John
                    (2)The Gospel of St.John and its Relations to the Other Three Gospels
                  I cannot amend the poll without deleting all the votes already cast, so
                  I must ask those who voted for this to specify which book they mean.

                          Although I did not vote for it, I would bow to the will of the group.
                  The book I have is The Gospel of St. John (period:)

                  Since we cannot study the entire book in 12 days, I suggest we pick a chapter with images that we can meditate with at night or use to as a focus.  I am not attached to any particular chapter.

                  Looking forward to what we will discuss.
                  (hopefully we will decide soon, so I can read it before hand)

                  MFV

                • jla
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 30, 2000
                    Why can't we read a chapter a day during the 12 days?

                    Jeff

                    Post to steiner@egroups.com

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 1, 2000
                      Hi Gisele,
                      Nice to hear from you. There does seem to be a
                      consensus developing for the collection of 1908 lectures.
                      I've just ordered a copy, and should receive it within the
                      next two weeks.
                      I presume that the first night of Christmas is the night
                      of the 25th, and the last night is the night of 5th January.
                      As for the structure, one suggestion I would make
                      is for a number of members to take on the responsibility of
                      summarizing a chapter of the book, these summaries will be
                      posted at intervals during the 12 nights, and other members
                      post their responses.
                      Can someone tell us how many chapters (including
                      preface or introduction) there are in the book?
                      I'll check whether there is some sort of calendar at
                      eGroups.

                      Sena

                      Create a free homepage at http://www.esotericlinks.com/userpages/index.shtml

                      > Hi! I also meant "The Gospel of St. John" of 1908,I
                      > had been willing to read it for a long time but
                      > somehow it never came into my hands. This should be a
                      > great opportunity for me, John the Evangelist is my
                      > favourite and a study group linking people across
                      > continents during the magic period of the
                      > year...well,i just find it breath taking!
                      > How do we structure it?
                      > I have never done it before (I mean the twelve
                      > nights),and I have even forgot which date is the first
                      > one...could anyone remind me? Thanks,
                      > Gisele.

                    • Duncan J. Fernando
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 1, 2000
                        Thanks, Morgan, for expressing your views.If you like I could
                        set up another poll to decide whether we try to concentrate on
                        one chapter or read the whole book, but I'll wait to see whether
                        a consensus emerges in the posts. As you are familiar with the
                        book it would be good if you could suggest a chapter.
                                  Sena

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 1, 2000
                          I'd written:
                          ..Say, do we want to invite folks on the other lists?>>

                          Oops! I see Jeff already has.
                        • Morgan Vierheller
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 1, 2000
                            "Duncan J. Fernando" wrote:

                            > I presume that the first night of Christmas is the night
                            > of the 25th, and the last night is the night of 5th January.

                            Yes.

                            > As for the structure, one suggestion I would make
                            > is for a number of members to take on the responsibility of
                            > summarizing a chapter of the book, these summaries will be
                            > posted at intervals during the 12 nights, and other members
                            > post their responses.
                            > Can someone tell us how many chapters (including
                            > preface or introduction) there are in the book?

                            There are 12 :) chapters plus an introduction by Marir Steiner.

                            MFV
                          • jla

                              Post to steiner@egroups.com

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 1, 2000
                                Jeff,
                                     It WILL be a majority vote (unlike some other elections). At the moment
                                there are 4 votes for St.John (1908) - Dr.Starman, Janet, Gisele, and myself.
                                Please remind me who apart from yourself is voting for St.John (1909).
                                            Sena
                                http://www.esotericlinks.com

                                Post to steiner@egroups.com

                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 2, 2000
                                  --- "Duncan J. Fernando" <sena@...> wrote: >
                                  Hi Gisele,
                                  > Nice to hear from you. ...........
                                  I presume that the first night of Christmas
                                  > is the night
                                  > of the 25th, and the last night is the night of 5th
                                  > January.

                                  Hi Sena,
                                  I am very happy about this 'holy-nights-on wire'
                                  opportunity: for the past 7 years I have spent my
                                  Christmas day and night on my own, and although I'd
                                  rather be alone with my Angel than in a crowd intent
                                  on getting drunk and eating meaningless sacrificed
                                  animals, I still get the odd pang of sadness that
                                  lonelyness brings sometimes...but I could never find
                                  ways of participating to those kind of 'alternative'
                                  Christmases, kind of 'spiritual retreats'that would
                                  cost me more than a month income..

                                  So, at last a spiritual inexpensive way of linking
                                  with like-minded people and honour the birth of Jesus
                                  Christ without getting mixed up with abundance of food
                                  while others are starving, alcoholic celebrations
                                  while others are suffering, and drugs-parties while
                                  Lux and Arh are laughing their heads off...

                                  Sounds as Finni is right though, I just found this
                                  reference in the Anthr Newsletter:
                                  "...during the Holy Nights which begin on the eve of
                                  Christmas, 24th December, and arch in time over all of
                                  us until the festival of the Three Kings on 6th
                                  January."
                                  I don't think we should be pedantic about this though,
                                  but I must admit that Christmas Eve holds a special
                                  flavour of magic in the air, that atmosphere of
                                  expectancy... I don't know what the group thinks:
                                  should we leave it for each one with her/himself or
                                  start the link that very night?
                                  Another thing is the timing: if I remember well, you
                                  are in Britain Sena, same as me, and there might be
                                  people from continental Europe, but what about our
                                  friends in the Americas? (There could be people from
                                  Africa, Asia, Australia as far as I know)
                                  It would be helpful if each one joining this
                                  12-nights-study-group could state where they're based
                                  and if we could think about time-coordination
                                  I will volunteer for a chapter but I still don't know
                                  which one until I get the book.

                                  Arrisentirci! Gisele

                                • jla
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 2, 2000
                                    I recall on the voting section at egroups, 4 votes for the Gospel of St.John in Relation. I may have been wrong or this has changed.

                                    Jeff

                                    http://www.esotericlinks.com Create a free homepage at http://www.esotericlinks.com/userpages/index.shtml mailto:sena@...

                                    Post to steiner@egroups.com