Lazarus!!!

  • Diego Ruggeri
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 11, 2002
      hi, i'll introduce myself as the kind moderator of this group asked me. i'm argentinian, my first language is Spanish, and am 30. I'm a bookseller and a writer. Currently i'm writing a novel on the return of king Arthur. my characters - the reincarnations of Arthur, Merlin, Guinevere, etc - have to remember their former lives before they can act and do what they came here to do, and it was researching for my book that i came across rudolf steiner's fascinating idea of Lazarus and the beloved disciple in st john's gospel being the same guy. i read about it in steiner's lecture on this gospel. whoever knows anything about it please tell me!!!!!

      Y! Messenger en tu celular: probá el nuevo Yahoo! Messenger para SMS aquí
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 11, 2002
        weirdlook@... writes:
        hi, i'll introduce myself as the kind moderator of this group asked me. i'm argentinian, my first language is Spanish, and am 30. I'm a bookseller and a writer. Currently i'm writing a novel on the return of king Arthur. my characters - the reincarnations of Arthur, Merlin, Guinevere, etc - have to remember their former lives before they can act and do what they came here to do, and it was researching for my book that i came across rudolf steiner's fascinating idea of Lazarus and the beloved disciple in st john's gospel being the same guy. i read about it in steiner's lecture on this gospel. whoever knows anything about it please tell me!!!!!

        *******Welcome to the list, Diego. As a matter of fact, we're currently planning to study a book together for the twelve Holy Nights, as we do each year, and "by coincidence" I was going to suggest the very book where Steiner goes into detail about this for the first time, his only book about Jesus Christ, Christianity As a Mystical Fact and the Mysteries of Antiquity, in which he first revealed the mystery of Lazarus. We took up his lectures on the Gospel of St. John (Hamburg,1908) two Christmases ago, and you can read those messages in the group's archives, which included this subject as well.  There also were three or four other major lecture cycles on the Gospels, one on the book of Genesis, and some minor (mostly shorter) ones about the Christ and the Bible, in addition to collections of Steiner's annual Christmas lectures. I lean to choosing something that is closely related to Christmas myself, but we can choose anything the group prefers; however, there's less than two weeks remaining before we would start, and we'd want to make sure that it would be a book everyone here could have a copy of. So let's hear from people what they would like to take up. We could decide by taking a poll, and I could then send out a special notice to all members, because I notice some members do not receive e-mail from the group every day.

      • LilOleMiss
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 11, 2002
          Hola Diego, y buenos noches!!!!!!!!

          Welcome, Friend, to steiner, a wonderful group of people and now you are one of us! You have a wonderful theme for your novel and that brings joy. The "Gospel of St. John" by Rudolf Steiner you speak of is in the FILE section of this list, and even though it is in English, it is a complete book. Muy Espanol es muy mal. Su English es muy buenos! :)

          Hasta luego,

          Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 3:53 PM
          Subject: [steiner] Lazarus!!!

          hi, i'll introduce myself as the kind moderator of this group asked me. i'm argentinian, my first language is Spanish, and am 30. I'm a bookseller and a writer. Currently i'm writing a novel on the return of king Arthur. my characters - the reincarnations of Arthur, Merlin, Guinevere, etc - have to remember their former lives before they can act and do what they came here to do, and it was researching for my book that i came across rudolf steiner's fascinating idea of Lazarus and the beloved disciple in st john's gospel being the same guy. i read about it in steiner's lecture on this gospel. whoever knows anything about it please tell me!!!!!

          Y! Messenger en tu celular: probá el nuevo Yahoo! Messenger para SMS aquí
          Post to steiner@egroups.com

          Search the archives of the group at:

          Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

        • Ashley Case
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 11, 2002

            I think that taking a poll is a fine idea.  I would like to get a copy of whatever book we choose, so I'll be looking forward to the selection process.

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 11, 2002
              Taking a poll is fine with me, too, or whatever everyone wishes. :)  Dr. Starman, certainly Steiner's *Christianity as Mystical Fact* is great as well as appropriate. I'm open to that or whatever others' wish.
              Sheila

            • Lutz Baar <info@antropos.org>
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 12, 2002
                I vote for this one!
                Lutz

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 12, 2002
                  Hi, Lutz. I'll second your vote. :)
                  Sheila

                  At 09:42 AM 12/12/02 +0000, you wrote:
                  I vote for this one!
                  Lutz

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 13, 2002

                    Thanks lilole and dr starman for your kind replies. It's brings me joy to read that "a wonderful theme for a novel" or anything about poetry and literature, brings joy. I'll check the file section and the link to the book to see what i can find there about Lazarus. I've promised to an English friend to translate it into English as soon as I finish it, but i don't think that will take less than two years. anyway, when the book and the translation are finished, i'll send it to anyone who's interested. the link between lazarus and my story is that according to the latter merlin's pre-Merlin incarnation is as the beloved disciple. See you guys

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 16, 2002
                      weirdlook@... writes:
                      Thanks lilole and dr starman for your kind replies. It's brings me joy to read that "a wonderful theme for a novel" or anything about poetry and literature, brings joy. I'll check the file section and the link to the book to see what i can find there about Lazarus....

                      *******It brings me joy to see anybody doing something creative with what they read, or even just contemplating doing so.  And that relates to how to study Anthroposophy, something that we haven't yet tackled the past two Christmas studies we have done together. The forces of the mere intellect are not enough to grasp spiritual things, but rather the way to experience a book of spiritual science is to take some of its contents and do something creative with them, whether writing, poetry, music, drawing, painting, or in whatever media.

                           A study group of spiritual science -- -- -- and that is what we will create here for the 12 Holy Nights in this "room" -- -- --has a couple of our own components that we have somewhat neglected in the past.  First, the groups traditionally name themselves after some important initiate or person in the spiritual world, rather as Christian churches all worship God but would choose Saint Patrick or Saint Luke as their "patron". I guess you could say that, since this list is called Steiner, he's our patron. Second, a group study usually begins with taking a mantra and using it together. I could put some anthroposophical verses here and people could choose which one we'd like to all use.

                         But thirdly and most relevant, we should DO something artistic or creative with what we study. So, as we look forward to studying the book together over the 12 holy nights, I'd like everyone to think about DOING something creative with what we're going to read. For instance, one of the chapters of the book is about Lazarus. You might like to take that chapter, Diego, and share with us what it stimulates in you. Of course, if it's possible to do it in some form that can be shared with the whole group, that would be wonderful.  Any visual art can be converted into a form that can be shared online here, and so also could anything musical or involving sound. Even video is possible to be transmitted now. If doing something like this strikes your fancy, but you're unsure about how to accomplish it technically, ask here and we'll all try to help.

                         If we're all agreed to study Christianity As a Mystical Fact and the Mysteries of Antiquity together, then between now and Christmas Eve (usually considered the first night of Christmas), I'll post some preparatory things here. The book is about 13 chapters, some long, some short. So we'll take one chapter each day. If you wish to read it before hand, once again it can be found online at the Rudolf Steiner electronic library here:
                      Christianity As Mystical Fact and the Mysteries of Antiquity
                      http://www.elib.com/Steiner/Books/GA008/English/index.php

                         All of you who wish to participate might like to look it over and see if there's any chapter that particularly appeals to you. what I suppose would be ideal is if we had about a dozen people, and each one would take one chapter and present it to the group. You do a summary of the chapter and what you get out of it, which then serves as a jumping off point for discussion by the group.

                         And you will probably be reading this post on Tuesday Dec. 17th, which, if you read the Calendar of the Soul mailing this week, you might have noticed is the old Feast Day of -- -- --Lazarus. His Feast Day was placed near Christmas time, the time when The One came who is raising all earthly existence up again.

                    • Diego Ruggeri
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 16, 2002
                        yours is a womnderful reply, dr starman. ill read the
                        chapter on my friend lazarus and try to do something
                        about it. in the meantime, i'll translate into english
                        something i have written in spanish, "Poetry as a
                        physical experience", and post it to the group, to
                        share it with you guys. see you soon!!

                        diego

                        Ahora podés usar Yahoo! Messenger desde tu celular. Aprendé cómo hacerlo en Yahoo! Móvil: http://ar.mobile.yahoo.com/sms.html
                      • Ashley Case
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 16, 2002

                          Thanks Starman - looking forward to the study together.  It will be the highlight of my holiday .. the whole celebration, in fact (besides the joy I have regardless of the holiday).