Re: [steiner] (unknown)

  • LilOleMiss
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 9, 2002
      Thomas, it's good to hear from you, and I apologize for not getting a reply off sooner. I was thinking today about your question, knowing Dr. Starman is the best source of information, and I wholeheartedly agree with his choices, too! Both these specific works of Steiner's are fascinating and I think you'll gain very much from them. It seems to me I read "East in the Light of the West" first because it had been given to me by a very elderly lady who had actually attended all the lectures. I was so thrilled! She pencilled in at the very end "while the entire audience stood and applauded!" - that really gave me a sense of sharing, in some way, or as though the feelings gained from this series of lectures were shared by others. I'm very glad for you, and it's good to have you on board.

      Sheila

      DRStarman2001@... wrote:

       *******Welcome to the list, Thomas.  Dr. Steiner spoke numerous times about the ancient Indian era and the Vedas. Perhaps the lecture cycle you refer to is his one on "The Bhagavad-Gita And The Epistles of St. Paul", so you may have already read that. There also was another major one entitled "The East in the Light of the West." In addition, he has comments on the Vedic religion throughout all his lectures.  Perhaps someone here could answer your particular question. As I recall, the ancient teaching was that the highest part of Man, Atman, is where we are one with the divine, or Brahma.

      Dr. Starman

      hyde_thomas@... writes:

      Hello All,
      My Name is Thomas, I am twenty one, I live in NY. I read steiner, presently
      because his volumous writings are a wealth to me for my own education of the
      history of spirituality. He is most valueble to me for his purely scientific
      approach in his analysis and comparison of the great spiritual orders of the
      world. Weather his theories are correct or not arent even that important to
      me because his body of works are so imformative scientificly and
      historically speaking. He has been most helpful to me for understanding, for
      example, the historic developement of the three streams os indian
      philosophy; vedic, sankya, and yoga of Pantanjali. His article of St John
      and the Bhagavag Gita, I found very informative.
      Can anyone inform me of more Steiner writings (lectures or articles) wich he
      speaks directly about indian philosohpy? More specifically, the vedic
      teachings pertaining to the relationship between Brahman and Atman.
      Thank you so much,
      Thomas

      http://www.DrStarman.net
      Post to steiner@egroups.com

      Search the archives of the group at:

      Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

    • lilolemissy
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 25, 2003
        Dear Renee,

        What a joy to hear from you and to hear about your keen interest in Steiner! New Orleans is where I grew up, and my sister is now in Metairie, but many years ago N.O. was far more active in Anthroposophy than perhaps now - at least one of the "wise oldtimers" lived there for awhile, Olin Wannamaker, and you may find his name here or there as having translated various Steiner lectures/books.

        It seems some of us have had some difficulty sending postings to our list, since the words below the "ad" following our signatures gives the wrong address, and for awhile yahoo.com itself was causing difficulties. steiner@yahoogroups.com is the correct address and the one you came through on! HOORAY!

        Cheers!

        Sheila

        --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "reneelattimore"
        <reneelattimore@y...> wrote:

        Hello,

        My name is Renee and I a fairly new to this group having first come
        on in October, 2003.  I am also new to YahooMail.com and have been
        having trouble getting this post sent.

        I have read most of Rudolf Steiner's books and several of
        his "books" from his lectures.  I truly love reading all things
        Steiner, and I have been enjoying the discussions on this list.  I
        especially like the ties to astrology.   Because of the problems you
        all have been having with the list, perhaps it is time to introduce
        myself to the group and give up "lurking" in the shadows.

        I have been fortunate to have found a Steiner Study Group in the New
        Orleans area and have met some wonderful, interesting and caring
        friends.  We also choose a book to study for Holy Nights, usually
        one of Steiners books on the gospels.  I would love to be a part of
        the discussions if you start at the end of this month.

        I hope this post goes through this time.  I would hate to be
        considered a spammer!

        Sincerely
        Renee Lattimore

      • Renee Lattimore
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 26, 2003
          Dear Sheila,

          Thanks for the welcome!

          I was quite surprised by the interest in Steiner in New Orleans.  I am not familiar with Olin Wannamaker but many of you might know Bobby Matherne who hails form this great city.  His Steiner book reviews are posted on www.doyletics.com/arj.  He does an outstanding job on these reviews!

          Is your sister interested in Steiner, also?  The group isn't easy to find, so if she is interested I could call her.

          Hope I can sent this without having to try three times!

          Renee

          <reneelattimore@y...> wrote:

[...]

          Do you Yahoo!?
          Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
        • lilolemissy
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 26, 2003
            Hi, Renee! :)

            I'm so very glad to see a resurgence of AP in Nawlins and of course you wouldn't expected to be familiar with Wannamaker since he was one of the "early pioneers," so to say, in AP. I don't believe he was a native of the city even while living there, and I came across something about him due to his having translated or written something by or about Steiner. I believe he was born in China of missionary parents and had quite a wonderfully eventful life in many varying areas of the world.

            I believe the Bobby Matherne you mention might be the one from Luling now living on West Bank, who has for some years written many book reviews on "the interests of the day" for his home printing business? If I remember correctly he "skims a given book's highlights", so to say, while selling some sort of psychological method named Doylectics as his main pursuit?

            So far, Renee, my sister may still lean more toward Edgar Cayce than Steiner - ACK! As very young searchers we both began with Cayce but I soon found Steiner - HOORAY - but I'm "casually" sending her this or that RS work, saying "This is an extra and I can't bear to just throw it away..."  To be truthful, I feel like gluing the "seeds" into place, but she's tougher than I am! :) It seems I may be seeing a few cracks in her armor now and then, so there's hope yet!!!!

            I do want to thank you for your precious offer to contact her, and who knows? Some seeds may hopefully begin to "sprout!"

            Cheers,

            Sheila