The 12 Holy Nights

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 7, 2002

      *  M A N T R A  # 3 7 (WINTER)  *
      Zu tragen Geisteslicht in Weltenwinternacht
      Erstrebet selig meines Herzens Trieb
      Dass leuchtend Seelenkeime
      In Weltengrunden wurzeln
      Und Gotteswort im Sinnesdunkel
      Verklarend alles Sein durchtont.

      "To carry Spirit-Light in World-Winter-Night,
      Strives joyfully my Heart's Drive
      That light-filled Soul-Seeds
      In World-Ground take root
      And God's Word in Senses' Darkness
      Makes clear all Being it resounds through."

      *******A good Winter meditation. Well, tonight we finish the first week of Advent, in which we try to turn our hearts to the One who came to rectify all Earth-Evolution.  (One way to use Advent to connect with the Christ is the old method of an "advent table", where the Christmas Nativity scene of a manger, Joseph and Mary and all is gradually built up over the four weeks; the first week, you put on crystals, in memory of the mineral kingdom's creation; the second week, things from the plant kingdom, the third week animal products (and images of the Ox and Ass), and then in the final week the human figures. This is a way of re-experiencing how the world came into existence in four stages, and its whole purpose for doing so was for the life, death and resurrection of the Christ, which alone the makes human life on earth something able to rise up to its higher purposes.)
         That makes three weeks before Christmas, and as most of you may know it's an anthroposophical tradition to take some book and study it together over the 12 Holy Nights, which Rudolf Steiner pointed to as a time when the spiritual world is close to our human world. Such things are never more needed than during times of war and the nearness of wars, as our time is. We've done a study together here on the Internet the past two Christmases, and talked about doing another, but haven't chosen a book yet, much less talked about how to do it. How about hearing from some people who would like to participate, including ideas of what to study?