Calendar of the Soul, Week 37 (Winter)

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2002
      The "Calendar of the Soul"
        The cycle of the year can be a meditation. Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' for this, 52 meditative mantras enabling you to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in outer Nature during the year. These verses are well known to many ---- but the original Calendar published in 1912 ALSO had 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the Moon's phases and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days of the week. We present the whole Calendar here as it was meant to be used, for the first time since 1912.
          The mantra in the original German and in translation:

      *  M A N T R A  # 3 7 (WINTER)  *
      Zu tragen Geisteslicht in Weltenwinternacht
      Erstrebet selig meines Herzens Trieb
      Dass leuchtend Seelenkeime
      In Weltengrunden wurzeln
      Und Gotteswort im Sinnesdunkel
      Verklarend alles Sein durchtont.

      "To carry Spirit-Light in World-Winter-Night,
      Strives joyfully my Heart's Drive
      That light-filled Soul-Seeds
      In World-Ground take root
      And God's Word in Senses' Darkness
      Makes clear all Being it resounds through."

      This week's mantram:
          Throughout the Fall our Self-Consciousness (as opposed to Nature Consciousness) grows. Last week, this grew to the point where the divine world spoke in the soul's depths in a way that could be sensed through use of the mantra, saying that if our deeds would be filled with its Light, we could be its channels to others. This week, it plants luminous seeds in the soul for future work, and through the mantric work we can feel ourselves striving to carry these into the world, as light-beings carrying the Spirit into the darknesss of matter, so that the divine working through us enlightens it.

        (For those not familiar with the use of mantras:
           The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images or Imaginations to awaken spiritual 'sight' and mantras or Inspirations to begin spiritual 'hearing'. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I’ve kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from the English meaning to the actual German mantra.

                                            **********************************
           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Sagittarius from Dec. 1st to Jan. 4th in our era. The symbolic image of the 'Archer' done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday, December 8th. Moon Aquarius.  Festival of the Conception of Mary (Remembrance of the conception without sin of Mary through her mother Anna).  Herbert Spencer died 1903.                           (Second Sunday of Advent.)

      Monday, December 9th. Moon Pisces. Poet Milton born1608.

      Tuesday, December 10th. Moon Pisces. 1520 Luther burns Papal Bull.

      Wednesday, December 11th. Moon Pisces. First Quarter. 1843 Robert Koch born.

      Thursday, December 12th. Moon Aries. Albrecht von Haller died 1777.

      Friday, December 13th. Moon Aries. Friedrich Hebbel died 1863.

      Saturday, December 14th. Moon Taurus.  Tycho Brahe born 1546.

      *    M A N T R A  #7 *
      Mein selbst, es drohet zu entfliehen,
      Vom Weltenlichte mächtig angezogen.
      Nun trete du mein Ahnen
      In deine Rechte kraftig ein
      Ersetze mir des Denkens Macht
      Das in der Sinne Schein
      Sich selbst verlieren will.

      My Self, it threatens to fly out
      To World-Light mightily drawn.
      Now enter you, my foreboding,
      Into your rightful place forcefully,
      Restore for me Thinking's Might
      That in the Senses' Shine
      Would lose itself.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 24, 2006
        The "Calendar of the Soul"

        Dr. Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52

        days.

        constellation SAGITTARIUS from December 1st through January 4th in our era.
        A version of the new symbolic image of the ARCHER from the original
        Soul-Calendar, done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications, is
        attached to this e-mail.

        This week's mantra.
        uses symbolic images like the Zodiac image ("Imaginations") to awaken
        spiritual sight, and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing.
        experience.

        English to German.

[...]

        some of the spiritual figures and events connected with the days.

        Sunday, December 24th. Moon Aquarius. Adam and Eve. 1st of 13 days of
        Christmas.

        Monday, December 25th. Moon Pisces. Birth of Jesus. Newton born 1642.
        Charlemagne crowned King in Rome 799.

        Tuesday, December 26th. Moon Pisces. St. Stephen, the first Martyr.

        Wednesday, December 27th. Moon Aries. Day of John, author of the Gospel.
        Kepler born 1571.

        Thursday, December 28th. Moon Aries. First Quarter. Day of Remembrance of
        the Innocent Children murdered by Herod.

        Friday, December 29th. Moon Taurus. The Prophet Nathan. Malthus the
        national economist died 1834.

        Saturday, December 30th. Moon Taurus. Day of David, King of Israel.