Re: [steiner] The Left Hand Path

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2002
      tma4cbt@... writes:
      George Thomas misquoted William Blake as follows:
      "the path of self-destruction leads to the kingdom of heaven."

      There is no such line in all of William Blake, not in words, nor in
      meaning.  Blake never taught self destruction, insanity, violence, as
      a path to the kingdom of heaven.  What Blake did write was:  "The
      road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom."  The `path of self-
      destruction' is not a Blakian concept, but rather, in my opinion,
      reminiscent of what the Chinese call the Left Hand Path.

      *******And that's what all paths that use substances are.  Trevor Ravenscroft has been attacked for fictionalizing in his book, "The Spear of Destiny", but one thing which was truthful in it is that the Nazi Party grew out of an occult group which used peyote in their rituals.  Hitler gained his psychic ability through this, just as Charles Manson gained his ability to influence minds through group use of LSD. This is what is degenerate about American Indian drug rituals such as the fictional ones popularized by Carlos Castaneda-- -- -- they all are perverted versions of the true spiritual path, corrupted by the use of material substances.

           Now, people who have studied anthropology and history could easily say,'Why, all the old initiation rituals used hallucinogenic substances.'  This is because they regard things of the past 3000 years as "ancient." Actually, TRULY ancient practices, as in Atlantis 12,000 years ago or in ancient India 10,000 years ago, never used anything material. As mankind became compressed deeper and deeper into the body, from about 11,000 B.C. until the deepest point was reached from the fifth century B. C. on until 1899 A.D., the old initiation rituals became harder and harder to do. As a result, during the first millennium B.C., many initiates in different countries used their fading natural clairvoyance to point out different plants that could be used to instill an ersatz form of the old initiation-experience. Many did so even knowing that this would put initiates under the control of lower astral beings, despairing of any other alternative, while others' clairvoyance had declined so badly that they could not distinguish between these lower demi-gods and the ones that initiation used to enable them to contact! Anthropologists today mistake this decadent, corrupted form of initiation rites for the original thing. The true form of initiation almost completely disappeared in the fourth century B.C.-- -- -- it ceased to induce clairvoyance in almost anyone shortly after the times of Plato and Aristotle. This is why the old prophets like the oracle of Delphi could no longer predict, as Plutarch wrote about in his "Why Oracles Have Ceased To Speak."

          Dr. Steiner spoke about this in relation to the raising of Lazarus, where he said that the secret Hebrew priesthood was trying to initiate Lazarus, by the old method of separating the etheric and physical bodies, which had been becoming harder and harder to do because the former was being pressed more deeply into the physical by evolution.  Lazarus was killed because they couldn't do it right anymore. John the Baptist practiced a new form of initiation, where a person was held underwater until the process of death began, literally drowning a person, has opposed to the merely ritual baptism done now; this caused the etheric body to momentarily separate from the physical, and if a person had been prepared by prayer and meditation, changed their life.

          These ancient methods had to be practiced by a group imposing the "excamation" onto an individual candidate for initiation, because the true Ego was not yet within the human being. Only a being able to direct itself by its own ego can undergo initiation within everyday life. Socrates for instance was never initiated in the Greek mysteries,  nor was Aeschylus, nor Heraclitus; they were men in whom the Christ spoke before incarnation into the man Jesus, as early Christians like Justin Martyr said. Once the Christ came into the world, how initiation needed to be done changed completely. The early Christians recognized that the Greeks and Romans were worshiping 'daimons' or demi-gods, lower astral beings, and refused to worship them. The Christian devotional path as practiced in the monasteries all during the middle ages was a transformation of the old path, undergoing metamorphosis. Anthroposophy is its reappearance of the old initiation, updated to the modern condition of man now that the dark age of Kali Yuga has ended.

          No modern path of initiation uses any mind altering substances. Nor does it use trance states, hypnosis, or mediumship. Steiner often referred to these as pathological conditions. What this means can be simply understood. There's a Dutch psychic, Peter Herkos, who had a blow on the head and suddenly started having psychic ability. What happened was that some of the soul's force was suddenly able to "leak out" in a particular direction. The problem is that, it means that some of it is naturally being directed away from its normal, healthy channels; moreover, because it was gained from a disorder of the body, it's dependent on the body and therefore cannot be completely controlled. The same is true of practices like the ancient Plains Indians "Sundance", in which people would work themselves up into an ecstatic state by dancing in leather harnesses that caused their body extreme pain, and in this state utter predictions of the future; or the old monks' practices of causing great pain to the body to set part of the soul free. It's not true, as Pete Townsend believed when he wrote "Tommy", that "Sickness will surely take the mind where minds can't usually go": it takes you somewhere, all right, but into the realms of SUB-nature, not super nature. Anything based on destroying or harming the body is, first of all, a decadent corruption of what once was a true practice; secondly, is no longer appropriate for modern-day man; and thirdly, does not even result in true or reliable knowledge anymore, since it merely creates a way for what Anthroposophy calls Luciferic or Ahrimanic beings to speak through a person. These pathological states of sickness and hallucination have nothing whatever to do with Anthroposophy, it cannot be said often enough. The path of a modern-day man lies in taking full waking consciousness and INCREASING this consciousness into new forms, never reducing or decreasing it.

          Anthroposophy is the right hand path; drugs, semi conscious rituals, trance states, and all such things are the left-hand path. The worst deception is that you can walk both at the same time; if you study the history of any new age people trying to do both, you'll see immensely sad cases again and again.  Just recently, a fellow well-known on the Internet quit the Anthroposophical Society after announcing that he believed, bizarrely, that Steiner's clairvoyance had come from drinking alcohol.  We hope to see him healthy again after he walks the spiritual path of AA. This path is not called "spiritual science" just because it wants to pretend to be a science; it is one guided by full waking consciousness, just as much as designing a computer or doing a heart operation.The temptation to use drugs or other substances to take a shortcut in spiritual development is one encouraged by Lucifer, and which must inevitably put one under his power. No spiritual scientist will ever advise this. And Dr. Steiner specifically forbade any use of alcohol in his direct pupils, as this gives power to the Ahrimanic beings over you. Any of you who are still drinking and who would like to point out that Jesus drank wine, should immediately read what Steiner said about "The Mission of Alcohol" in his lectures on the Gospel of St. Luke, where he talks about Dionysius and how alcohol once was appropriate for us to use in that past epoch of evolution because we were seeking to incarnate more, where now we are seeking the exact opposite, and so to try to develop spiritually while drinking alcohol is like trying to run a race wearing lead boots.

    • George Thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2002
        I certainly did not want my previous e-mail to
        advocate the continuing use of substances as a way to
        higher knowledge. I was attempting to illustrate that
        these issues are not so cut and dry as clinical
        studies may make them seem, for statistics only hold
        true for general populations and not specific
        individuals. I am also fully aware that for every
        Carlos Castenada there are many who are not able to
        move beyond the drugs and are hindered in their
        further development as a result, just as we are
        surrounded by so many of us who are unable to move
        beyond television, Burger King and rock and roll
        music.

        Though I was incorrect in the exact wording of the
        Blake quote, I believe that correcting the wording in
        my message would clarify my original intent in using
        the quote, as excess is often hand-in-hand with
        self-destruction, particularly when speaking of food,
        mind-altering substances and power of will which
        remains unchecked by a healthy ego, but using excess
        in lieu of self-destruction is a more perfect segue
        for the slave master analogy. How is it that Blake
        could advocate a bit of excess without also implying
        that excess carries a bit of self-destruction with it?
        It appears an interesting contrast to the oriental
        philosophies of self-denial in that the results of
        both paths will be quite similar when timing and
        placement are taken into account.

        Many of us are living in an environment of increasing
        fear. This fear is perpetuated by our corporate
        culture which drives us to inject our children,
        animals and foods with stronger and stronger vaccines
        and pesticides in the name of perfect health. Were we
        as a mass society to adopt a healthier, more whole
        approach to our ways of living, we would have stronger
        families, better schools and healthier foods. I find
        increasing drug use to be a perpetuating symptom of
        this greater ill. If we are to focus solely on the
        symptom of substance use and not look into why it is
        that humans use substances to begin with, it is akin
        to providing antibiotics to treat gonorrhea and not
        promoting healthier lifestyle choices for its
        prevention. The antibiotics invariably prove to slow
        the progress of the infection initially, but
        eventually the infection outsmarts the remedy and we
        are worse off than when we started unless we begin to
        live healthier lifestyles.

        Obviously smoking pot is not a healthy choice. It
        makes one slow and dull and is, among other things,
        expensive financially and spiritually, though perhaps
        not as expensive as Prozac. I wonder the necessity of
        spending the money on clinical studies to prove what
        modern stereotypes are already so good at illustrating
        (i.e., Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Dude, Where's
        My Car? to name but two vehicles driving these
        stereotypes.), especially when there are so many other
        things to work on.

        We are not yet perfect in our humanity. We can allow
        this fact to become a point of worry and concern, or
        we can embrace the reality of our imperfect nature and
        the inherent message that perhaps we don't need to be
        perfect at this exact moment. Having stuff to work on
        serves as a reason to get up in the morning. Recovery
        is an ongoing process. It's not something that gets
        fixed quickly and easily. It is ultimately a
        life-long commitment, no matter what addiction or
        habit from which you're recovering. The problem of
        having smoked a joint 16 years ago seems less of a
        problem to me than the fact that certain varieties of
        vegetables (and animals) have been forever altered by
        genetic engineering and that we continue to eat and
        propogate these abominations of human creativity.

        Perhaps by accentuating the positive and devaluing the
        negative we will find ourselves in better stead.
        Those who smoke pot daily often spend a good portion
        of their lives in this pursuit. If these people stop
        smoking pot, there will be holes in their lives that
        need to be filled. If we want to erradicate the pot
        smoking, perhaps we should be providing ourselves with
        other positive activities. Concentrating on these
        positives will be a good way to slowly replace bad
        behaviors with better behaviors, as quick change is
        not always a good thing, pot smoking is a symptom of a
        greater ill, and once pot smoking is erradicated,
        we'll still need better food and schools. Cramming
        clinical studies down the throats of inner city youth
        may make them slow down on pot smoking, but their
        lives are still going to be filled with bad schools,
        neighborhoods and food. However, providing these kids
        with better options in education, food and environment
        would most likely lead to a reduction in pot smoking
        without the necessity of providing clinical facts.
        Perhaps we should begin a campaign of arresting all
        bad parents, teachers and school administrators in
        place of arresting their children for pot smoking.

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com