The Left Hand Path

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2002
      George Thomas misquoted William Blake as follows:

      "the path of self-destruction leads to
      the kingdom of heaven."

      There is no such line in all of William Blake, not in words, nor in
      meaning. Blake never taught self destruction, insanity, violence, as
      a path to the kingdom of heaven. What Blake did write was: "The
      road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." The `path of self-
      destruction' is not a Blakian concept, but rather, in my opinion,
      reminiscent of what the Chinese call the Left Hand Path.

      Here's another drug study. Enjoy:

      "Very Heavy Pot Use Clouds Mental Function: Study"
      Reuters Health
      By Dana Frisch
      Friday, November 29, 2002

      NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - People who smoked unusually large amounts
      of marijuana performed worse on tests of mental function than their
      peers who smoked less pot, even after a 30-day abstinence period,
      according to a new report.

      Heavy users performed worse on 69% of the 35 tasks than light users,
      though their performances were not "clinically abnormal," the
      researchers found. The 22 participants were admitted to hospital
      during the course of the study and submitted to random urine tests to
      ensure they remained abstinent.

      Lead author Dr. Karen Bolla characterized the study group as
      being "unusual" because of the large number of joints they smoked per
      week. Heavy users smoked on average 91 joints a week, or about 13 a
      day, while light smokers smoked an average of 11 marijuana cigarettes
      a week.

      Bolla, who is an associate professor of neurology and psychiatry at
      Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland,
      said the results cannot be generalized to social smokers or those who
      use pot for medicinal purposes, because they smoke far less
      marijuana. The potency might also differ, she said.

      "What this study shows is that marijuana can be neurotoxic if you
      smoke a lot of it," Bolla told Reuters Health. She said this is
      particularly concerning since the average age of study participants
      was 22 years old, and the brain is still developing at that
      age. "You're putting a lot of foreign stuff in there that we don't
      really know what it does to a developing brain," she said.

      The study, published in the November issue of the journal Neurology,
      found that the mental functions most severely impacted were memory,
      executive function (overall reasoning and functioning) and manual
      dexterity.

      Bolla writes that these tasks in particular were affected because
      they are controlled by the hippocampus, prefrontal cortex and
      cerebellum. These brain areas are densely populated with cannabinoid
      receptors that attach to THC, the active ingredient in marijuana.

      In mice, excessive marijuana use might damage parts of the brain
      and "knock out certain kinds of neurons," said Bolla. This can lead
      to receptors in the brain being over-stimulated or under-stimulated,
      changing their response to chemical messengers in the brain, similar
      to what might result from a brain injury.

      Marijuana is the most widely used illicit drug in the US. An
      estimated 7 million people use marijuana weekly, according to 2000
      data from the US Department of Health and Human Services.

      This is only the second study to examine the residual effects of
      marijuana use after more than a couple of days of abstinence. Dr.
      Harrison Pope Jr., a professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical
      School and author of the other study, found no difference in
      performance on cognitive tests between heavy marijuana users
      and "control" subjects.

      Pope said in an interview that his "hunch" was that the difference
      between his results and Bolla's were the "sheer intensity" of
      marijuana use among the participants in Bolla's study. Heavy users in
      Pope's study smoked on average 1 or 1.5 joints over the course of a
      day.

      According to Pope, people who smoke a lot of marijuana and start
      earlier will do worse on tests of mental function. Whether the
      toxicity of the drug itself is responsible, or factors like being in
      school less and being unfamiliar with testing or being more impaired
      initially and turning to pot for that reason, is difficult to know,
      he added.

      SOURCE: Neurology 2002;59:1337-1343.
    • George Thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2002
        Thank you for the correction. I knew I didn't have it
        quite right, and I've been searching for the exact
        quote for some time now.

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2002
          tma4cbt@... writes:
          George Thomas misquoted William Blake as follows:
          "the path of self-destruction leads to the kingdom of heaven."

          There is no such line in all of William Blake, not in words, nor in
          meaning.  Blake never taught self destruction, insanity, violence, as
          a path to the kingdom of heaven.  What Blake did write was:  "The
          road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom."  The `path of self-
          destruction' is not a Blakian concept, but rather, in my opinion,
          reminiscent of what the Chinese call the Left Hand Path.

          *******And that's what all paths that use substances are.  Trevor Ravenscroft has been attacked for fictionalizing in his book, "The Spear of Destiny", but one thing which was truthful in it is that the Nazi Party grew out of an occult group which used peyote in their rituals.  Hitler gained his psychic ability through this, just as Charles Manson gained his ability to influence minds through group use of LSD. This is what is degenerate about American Indian drug rituals such as the fictional ones popularized by Carlos Castaneda-- -- -- they all are perverted versions of the true spiritual path, corrupted by the use of material substances.

               Now, people who have studied anthropology and history could easily say,'Why, all the old initiation rituals used hallucinogenic substances.'  This is because they regard things of the past 3000 years as "ancient." Actually, TRULY ancient practices, as in Atlantis 12,000 years ago or in ancient India 10,000 years ago, never used anything material. As mankind became compressed deeper and deeper into the body, from about 11,000 B.C. until the deepest point was reached from the fifth century B. C. on until 1899 A.D., the old initiation rituals became harder and harder to do. As a result, during the first millennium B.C., many initiates in different countries used their fading natural clairvoyance to point out different plants that could be used to instill an ersatz form of the old initiation-experience. Many did so even knowing that this would put initiates under the control of lower astral beings, despairing of any other alternative, while others' clairvoyance had declined so badly that they could not distinguish between these lower demi-gods and the ones that initiation used to enable them to contact! Anthropologists today mistake this decadent, corrupted form of initiation rites for the original thing. The true form of initiation almost completely disappeared in the fourth century B.C.-- -- -- it ceased to induce clairvoyance in almost anyone shortly after the times of Plato and Aristotle. This is why the old prophets like the oracle of Delphi could no longer predict, as Plutarch wrote about in his "Why Oracles Have Ceased To Speak."

              Dr. Steiner spoke about this in relation to the raising of Lazarus, where he said that the secret Hebrew priesthood was trying to initiate Lazarus, by the old method of separating the etheric and physical bodies, which had been becoming harder and harder to do because the former was being pressed more deeply into the physical by evolution.  Lazarus was killed because they couldn't do it right anymore. John the Baptist practiced a new form of initiation, where a person was held underwater until the process of death began, literally drowning a person, has opposed to the merely ritual baptism done now; this caused the etheric body to momentarily separate from the physical, and if a person had been prepared by prayer and meditation, changed their life.

              These ancient methods had to be practiced by a group imposing the "excamation" onto an individual candidate for initiation, because the true Ego was not yet within the human being. Only a being able to direct itself by its own ego can undergo initiation within everyday life. Socrates for instance was never initiated in the Greek mysteries,  nor was Aeschylus, nor Heraclitus; they were men in whom the Christ spoke before incarnation into the man Jesus, as early Christians like Justin Martyr said. Once the Christ came into the world, how initiation needed to be done changed completely. The early Christians recognized that the Greeks and Romans were worshiping 'daimons' or demi-gods, lower astral beings, and refused to worship them. The Christian devotional path as practiced in the monasteries all during the middle ages was a transformation of the old path, undergoing metamorphosis. Anthroposophy is its reappearance of the old initiation, updated to the modern condition of man now that the dark age of Kali Yuga has ended.

              No modern path of initiation uses any mind altering substances. Nor does it use trance states, hypnosis, or mediumship. Steiner often referred to these as pathological conditions. What this means can be simply understood. There's a Dutch psychic, Peter Herkos, who had a blow on the head and suddenly started having psychic ability. What happened was that some of the soul's force was suddenly able to "leak out" in a particular direction. The problem is that, it means that some of it is naturally being directed away from its normal, healthy channels; moreover, because it was gained from a disorder of the body, it's dependent on the body and therefore cannot be completely controlled. The same is true of practices like the ancient Plains Indians "Sundance", in which people would work themselves up into an ecstatic state by dancing in leather harnesses that caused their body extreme pain, and in this state utter predictions of the future; or the old monks' practices of causing great pain to the body to set part of the soul free. It's not true, as Pete Townsend believed when he wrote "Tommy", that "Sickness will surely take the mind where minds can't usually go": it takes you somewhere, all right, but into the realms of SUB-nature, not super nature. Anything based on destroying or harming the body is, first of all, a decadent corruption of what once was a true practice; secondly, is no longer appropriate for modern-day man; and thirdly, does not even result in true or reliable knowledge anymore, since it merely creates a way for what Anthroposophy calls Luciferic or Ahrimanic beings to speak through a person. These pathological states of sickness and hallucination have nothing whatever to do with Anthroposophy, it cannot be said often enough. The path of a modern-day man lies in taking full waking consciousness and INCREASING this consciousness into new forms, never reducing or decreasing it.

              Anthroposophy is the right hand path; drugs, semi conscious rituals, trance states, and all such things are the left-hand path. The worst deception is that you can walk both at the same time; if you study the history of any new age people trying to do both, you'll see immensely sad cases again and again.  Just recently, a fellow well-known on the Internet quit the Anthroposophical Society after announcing that he believed, bizarrely, that Steiner's clairvoyance had come from drinking alcohol.  We hope to see him healthy again after he walks the spiritual path of AA. This path is not called "spiritual science" just because it wants to pretend to be a science; it is one guided by full waking consciousness, just as much as designing a computer or doing a heart operation.The temptation to use drugs or other substances to take a shortcut in spiritual development is one encouraged by Lucifer, and which must inevitably put one under his power. No spiritual scientist will ever advise this. And Dr. Steiner specifically forbade any use of alcohol in his direct pupils, as this gives power to the Ahrimanic beings over you. Any of you who are still drinking and who would like to point out that Jesus drank wine, should immediately read what Steiner said about "The Mission of Alcohol" in his lectures on the Gospel of St. Luke, where he talks about Dionysius and how alcohol once was appropriate for us to use in that past epoch of evolution because we were seeking to incarnate more, where now we are seeking the exact opposite, and so to try to develop spiritually while drinking alcohol is like trying to run a race wearing lead boots.

        • George Thomas
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2002
            I certainly did not want my previous e-mail to
            advocate the continuing use of substances as a way to
            higher knowledge. I was attempting to illustrate that
            these issues are not so cut and dry as clinical
            studies may make them seem, for statistics only hold
            true for general populations and not specific
            individuals. I am also fully aware that for every
            Carlos Castenada there are many who are not able to
            move beyond the drugs and are hindered in their
            further development as a result, just as we are
            surrounded by so many of us who are unable to move
            beyond television, Burger King and rock and roll
            music.

            Though I was incorrect in the exact wording of the
            Blake quote, I believe that correcting the wording in
            my message would clarify my original intent in using
            the quote, as excess is often hand-in-hand with
            self-destruction, particularly when speaking of food,
            mind-altering substances and power of will which
            remains unchecked by a healthy ego, but using excess
            in lieu of self-destruction is a more perfect segue
            for the slave master analogy. How is it that Blake
            could advocate a bit of excess without also implying
            that excess carries a bit of self-destruction with it?
            It appears an interesting contrast to the oriental
            philosophies of self-denial in that the results of
            both paths will be quite similar when timing and
            placement are taken into account.

            Many of us are living in an environment of increasing
            fear. This fear is perpetuated by our corporate
            culture which drives us to inject our children,
            animals and foods with stronger and stronger vaccines
            and pesticides in the name of perfect health. Were we
            as a mass society to adopt a healthier, more whole
            approach to our ways of living, we would have stronger
            families, better schools and healthier foods. I find
            increasing drug use to be a perpetuating symptom of
            this greater ill. If we are to focus solely on the
            symptom of substance use and not look into why it is
            that humans use substances to begin with, it is akin
            to providing antibiotics to treat gonorrhea and not
            promoting healthier lifestyle choices for its
            prevention. The antibiotics invariably prove to slow
            the progress of the infection initially, but
            eventually the infection outsmarts the remedy and we
            are worse off than when we started unless we begin to
            live healthier lifestyles.

            Obviously smoking pot is not a healthy choice. It
            makes one slow and dull and is, among other things,
            expensive financially and spiritually, though perhaps
            not as expensive as Prozac. I wonder the necessity of
            spending the money on clinical studies to prove what
            modern stereotypes are already so good at illustrating
            (i.e., Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Dude, Where's
            My Car? to name but two vehicles driving these
            stereotypes.), especially when there are so many other
            things to work on.

            We are not yet perfect in our humanity. We can allow
            this fact to become a point of worry and concern, or
            we can embrace the reality of our imperfect nature and
            the inherent message that perhaps we don't need to be
            perfect at this exact moment. Having stuff to work on
            serves as a reason to get up in the morning. Recovery
            is an ongoing process. It's not something that gets
            fixed quickly and easily. It is ultimately a
            life-long commitment, no matter what addiction or
            habit from which you're recovering. The problem of
            having smoked a joint 16 years ago seems less of a
            problem to me than the fact that certain varieties of
            vegetables (and animals) have been forever altered by
            genetic engineering and that we continue to eat and
            propogate these abominations of human creativity.

            Perhaps by accentuating the positive and devaluing the
            negative we will find ourselves in better stead.
            Those who smoke pot daily often spend a good portion
            of their lives in this pursuit. If these people stop
            smoking pot, there will be holes in their lives that
            need to be filled. If we want to erradicate the pot
            smoking, perhaps we should be providing ourselves with
            other positive activities. Concentrating on these
            positives will be a good way to slowly replace bad
            behaviors with better behaviors, as quick change is
            not always a good thing, pot smoking is a symptom of a
            greater ill, and once pot smoking is erradicated,
            we'll still need better food and schools. Cramming
            clinical studies down the throats of inner city youth
            may make them slow down on pot smoking, but their
            lives are still going to be filled with bad schools,
            neighborhoods and food. However, providing these kids
            with better options in education, food and environment
            would most likely lead to a reduction in pot smoking
            without the necessity of providing clinical facts.
            Perhaps we should begin a campaign of arresting all
            bad parents, teachers and school administrators in
            place of arresting their children for pot smoking.