Soul-Calendar, Week 33 After Easter

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2002
      The "Calendar of the Soul"
        The cycle of the year can be a meditation through which you can sense the Beings behind the changing of the seasons. Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to use for this, 52 meditative mantras enabling you to consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you and in Nature during the year. These verses are well known to many anthroposophists---- but the original Calendar published in 1912 ALSO had 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the Moon's phases and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days of the week. We're presenting all that here.
          We begin with the mantra in the original German and in translation:

      *  M A N T R A  # 3 3  *

      So fühl ich erst die Welt,
      Die ausser meiner Seele Miterleben
      An sich nur frostig leeres Leben
      Und ohne Macht sich offenbarend,
      In Seelen sich von neuend schaffend,
      In sich den Tod nur finden könnte.

      So feel I first the World,
      That without my Soul's Living-With it
      As but a frozen empty Life
      And without Power is revealed,
      In new shaping out of the Soul,
      In itself alone, can only find Death.

      This week's mantra:
           In the Autumn, we gradually gain greater Self-Consciousness rather than outer consciousness of external nature. Last week, we felt how our consciousness was now strong enough to gain clear insight into the Destiny (karma) events in our lives. This week, we reach the point in the growth of self-consciousness where we first feel detached completely from the outer
      world, and see that, without our sou's participation on it, it would be an icy, dead wasteland--- while we feel a strong urge to create, but must see that, if we create what has meaning only for ourselves, it will likewise be dead.

           The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience.
      Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I’ve kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Skorpius from Nov. 10th to 30th in our era. The symbolic image of the 'Skorpion' done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday, November 10th. Moon Aquarius. 1483 Luther born. 1759 Schiller born.

      Monday, November 11th. Moon Aquarius. St. Martin's Day.

      Tuesday, November 12th. Moon Pisces. 1869 Maler Fr. Overbeck died.

      Wednesday, November 13th. Moon Pisces. Nicholas I (was in the 9th century as Pope defender of celibacy for priests).

      Thursday, November 14th. Moon Pisces. 1716 the Philosopher Leibnitz died. 1825 Jean Paul died. 1831 Hegel died.

      Friday, November 15th. Moon Aries. Albertus Magnus (the great scholar and researcher of the 13th century, Teacher of Thomas Aquinas). 1630 Astronomer Kepler died. 1738 Astronomer Herschel born. 1741 Lavater born.

      Saturday, November 16th. Moon Aries. Edmund (King of England).

      * M A N T R A # 3 *
      Es spricht zum Weltenall,
      Sich Selbst vergessend
      Und seines Urstands eingedenk,
      Des Menschen wachsend Ich:
      In dir, befreiend nich,
      Aus meiner Eigenheiten Fessel,
      Ergründ ich mein echtes Wesen.

      There speaks to the World-All,
      Of Self forgetful
      And of its Primal state one in thinking,
      Man's waxing "I":
      'In you, freeing me
      From my Selfhood's chains,
      I penetrate to my true Essence'.