Re: [steiner] Sirius Chronicles

  • LilOleMiss
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 5, 2002
      Dear Jeff,

      As a young med student learning psychiatry, the University
      required us to live in a state mental institution not only for
      access to various psychiatric conditions, often compounded with
      physical ailments, but to learn the various forms in which mental
      illness manifests. It was a great idea to interact so very closely
      with these patients, and to have access to not only the "learned
      diagnosis of the day and its treatment," but also to direct
      observation, in so far as we were able, of the individuals' inner
      experiences as well. It is very difficult to see with another's
      eyes, but by listening, observing and interacting with various
      patients, some insight was possible. I won't speak of the
      scientific literature dealing with mental conditions other than to
      say cold materialistic so-called scientific concepts imprinted
      onto a patient's profile made no sense to me. Steiner speaks quite
      a lot about mental illness, which to me, Mathew directly addresses
      not only from an observer's viewpoint, but most importantly, IMO,
      from his clear insights into actual situations as seen not only by
      the patient most clearly, but also what is overtly seen by an
      observer, and an exceedingly astute observer at that. Mathew isn't
      writing popular literature or fiction by any means in his
      wonderful *Sirius Chronicles* but is addressing very clearly what
      exists in actuality, although largely hidden from public or
      popular view. Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy and a few others have given the
      world some of our clearest insights into this realm manifesting in
      the human psyche but from a somewhat differing viewpoint, while
      Mathew's writing from his warm observations illustrates the
      spirituality coinciding so clearly from what we consider a warped
      mental state. Perhaps its my exposure to such patients which gives
      me a perhaps unfair advantage in recognition, but I can see a deep
      spirituality interpenetrating what on the surface may indeed
      appear as fiction.

      I was saving all of Mathew's "installments" as they came out, but
      lost all to yet another computer failure so was therefore happy to
      see a continuation of the *Sirrius Chronicles.* What is said,
      Jeff? Something to the effect there is so much in our world which
      goes unrecognized or is expressed clearly enough to bring to
      others a large part of mankind's inner thoughts with supreme
      clarity. Those of us having "hands-on" experience in an attempt to
      understand and allievate these other-worldly thought processes
      most never see, learn very much from such clear presentations as
      Mathew's insight reveals. These are the thoughts behind my
      treasuring his writings and compassionate understanding of
      humanity as it exists in a different milieu.

      Blessings,

      Sheila

    • golden3000997@cs.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2002
        I don't think that we have clarified exactly what this site should be for. It
        has been an open forum for sharing on many themes and levels. I don't
        particularly care for the Lutz/Starman debates, but I totally accept that
        this is a place for them to discuss their issues. There have been personal
        crisis explored and literary sharings. We have alerted each other to
        interesting news items. There have been direct studies of Steiner's work.

        I vote (it's voting day!) to keep the forum open to whatever people want to
        share. If you get a post on a topic that you're not interested in, simply hit
        the delete button.
      • Pacbay
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 5, 2002
          Sheila,

          I have absolutely not problem with the chronicles but in this type of exchange it just does not work. From my time perspective (and others have commented as well) I do not have the time to read through three to four pages of material. If someone wishes to create long essays or stories then here is a simple solution used by others: offer a brief mention of the content  and then direct us to the archives. This would be a win/ win situation and one does not have to feel like they are skimming or ignoring valuable or interesting long posts. Just my preference. Others may think differently.

          In time is of essence,
          Jeff
          -----
        • LilOleMiss
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 5, 2002
            Pacbay wrote:
            > Sheila,
            >
            > I have absolutely not problem with the chronicles but in this type of
            > exchange it just does not work. From my time perspective (and others
            > have commented as well) I do not have the time to read through three
            > to four pages of material. If someone wishes to create long essays or
            > stories then here is a simple solution used by others: offer a brief
            > mention of the content and then direct us to the archives. This would
            > be a win/ win situation and one does not have to feel like they
            > are skimming or ignoring valuable or interesting long posts. Just my
            > preference. Others may think differently.
            >
            > In time is of essence,
            > Jeff
            >
            > -----
            Jeff, I understand your position as well as Mathew's and Golden's.
            I'm on all sides since my time is limited, too. I solved this by
            having cut back on the number of lists [such as the anthroposophy
            list] I belong to by their quality, thereby simplifying my life as
            much as possible. I'm also selfish, and am fascinated by the
            spirituality of *The Serius Chronicles*. Golden came up with an
            excellent idea, and since Dr. Starman owns this list as well as
            there being other members, maybe we all should vote? I must vote
            as Golden has.

            Best to you and your's,
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 5, 2002
              In a message dated 11/5/2002 1:01:18 AM Eastern Standard Time, pacbay@... writes:

              If we open any of these forums to posting popular literature and fiction sharing, we are in trouble. There are too many long posts now.

              This is not a creative writing course.
              jeff

              ******As the moderator, I don't have any problem with creative writing here. It beats uncreative writing any day.
                The spiritual path for modern man is ART.
              -starman