Calendar of the Soul, Week 32 After Easter

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2002

      The "Calendar of the Soul"
        The cycle of the year can be a meditation through which you can sense the Beings behind the changing of the seasons. Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to use for this, 52 meditative mantras enabling you to consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you and in Nature during the year. These verses are well known to many anthroposophists---- but the original Calendar published in 1912 ALSO had 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the Moon's phases and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days of the week. We're presenting all that here. As far as we know this is the first time this has been done since 1912.
          We begin with the mantra in the original German and in translation:

      *  M A N T R A  # 3 2  *

      Ich fühle fruchtend eigne Kraft
      Sich stärkend mich der Welt verleihn;
      Mein Eigenwesen fühl ich kraftend
      Zur Klarheit sich zu wenden
      Im Lebensschicksalsweben.

      I feel my Power bearing fruit
      Strengthening me, the World to lend;
      My Ego-Essence I feel forcefully
      Wending its way to Clarity
      In Life-Destiny-Weaving.

      This week's mantram:
      The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousness we had all Summer. Last week, we felt how the spiritual light of thinking sought to turn to the outer world, turning into will-forces for living and illuminating sense-existence, and thus started to turn the blind urges of the soul into creatively-shaping forces. This week's verse describes how these will-forces are now strong enough for the outer world to connect with us (it is 'lent' to us), so that we gain clear insight into the Destiny (karma) events in our lives.

      The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience.
      Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I’ve kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

                                **********************************
           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Libra from Oct. 13th to Nov. 9th in our era. The symbolic image of the 'Balance' done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday, November 3rd. Moon Scorpio. Malachi (the Prophet).
      Monday, November 4th. Moon Scorpio. New Moon. 1493 Columbus landed in Guadaloupe.
      Tuesday, November 5th. Moon Sagittarius. 1494 Hans Sachs born.
      Wednesday, November 6th. Moon Sagittarius. 1771 Senefelder, the inventor of Lithography, born.
      Thursday, October 7th. Moon  Capricorn. 1775 Goethe entered into Weimar.
      Friday, November 8th. Moon Capricorn. 1674 Milton died.
      Saturday, November 9th. Moon Capricorn. Day of Remembrance of 40 Martyrs, who because they refused to participate in a Feast to pagan gods, were murdered by the Langobards.

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere this week:

      * M A N T R A #  2 *
      Ins Aussre des Sinnesalls
      Verliert Gedankenmacht ihr Eigensein;
      Es finden Geisteswelten
      Den Menschensprossen wieder,
      Der seinen Keim in ihnen,
      Doch seine Seelenfrucht
      In sich muss finden.

      In outer World of the Senses
      Thinking's might loses its Self-existence;
      The Spiritual Worlds find
      The offspring of Man again,
      Whose seed is in them
      But who must find its Soul-Fruit,