Re: [anthroposophy] thanks, bruce

  • LilOleMiss
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002
      DRStarman2001@... wrote:

      >> Thanks, bruce for the clarification on Matthew, non-violence and
      >> the "sword". This, what steiner said about the verse "I come to bring
      >> the sword..." makes much sense. The Christ was, afterall, the Prince
      >> of Peace...
      >

      > *******But I'm sure it quite contradicts the meaning of the scripture
      > (Matt. 10:34-37), the complete text being:
      >
      > "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth; I came not to send
      > peace, but a sword. I am come set a man at variance against his father,
      > and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her
      > mother in law, and a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He
      > that loveth father and mother more than me is not worthy of Me: and he
      > that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of Me."
      >
      > How does that square with reversing the meaning of the first half
      > into "I am come to send the sword away"? It doesn't. He came to bring
      > conflict, the meaning clearly is.
      >
      > And I recall Steiner explaining this as the Ego, the "I AM", the
      > Christ within, having to fight against the group-soul and blood ties
      > (the parents) to manifest.
      >
      > -starman
      > http://www.DrStarman.net

      It seems to me we're seeing quite a lot of the necessary
      separation of blood ties, and perhaps it's most noticeable in the
      western world, but this may be too subtle to be blatently evident.
      Is it possible this seeming alienation is woven in with other
      influences as well? One notices "the family" as the primary
      foundation of various societal groups here or there, while at the
      same time quite the opposite so often exhibiting profound grief,
      incomprehension and tragedy. One begins to wonder if alienated
      blood-ties are in fact a beginning necessity or the popularly
      criticised "breakdown of the mores" or even Signs of the Times.
      Points to ponder, perhaps.
      Sheila
    • Lutz Baar
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2002
        This is a good example of what a meant by "there is no such thing as
        *this* is what (Matthew) wrote" but only "this is what I read".

        In this case I read the the meaning of the words (which point to the
        concepts beyond) similar to Dr Starmans reading. Depending on my
        similar concept of the double-edged, pictorial word "sword".

        Lutz

        earlier discussion: