Re: The Foundation Stone -1/POP

  • jackstrange11
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 24, 2002
      Dear List,
      May I suggest that we work with Foundation Stone Mantra in our attempt to u=
      nderstand the POP? Since understanding our thinking is essential to practica=
      l work with the POP, we can take the content of the Mantra as the object of =
      our thought and attempt to communicate how our thinking and inner perception=
      react to these world-creating thoughts.

      If we think about the Mantra, then the inner thought of RS is the object of=
      our thinking.For example in the phrase "Where, in the power of World-creato=
      r-Beings,Thy Self takes origin from Self Divineâ€"" my thinking seems to imm=
      ediately and briefly unite with Steiner's direct knowledge of our creation, =
      but my subsequent observation of that process yields abstract pictures and f=
      orms. I sense that my thinking is most alive exactly at the time when my co=
      ncept meets the percept and my subsequent attempts at analysis are more dead=
      and abstact. I feel that the process of concept meeting percept cannot be t=
      hought about until after the meeting occurs, but the later thinking is but a=
      shadow of the original thinking

      It is very difficult to describe thinking. I would be very interested if o=
      thers shared observations of their own thought processes. Then we would have=
      the fruit of experience and empirical data that may enliven our reading of =
      the POP. If we decide to study it, I would rather see some attempt to put i=
      t into action as opposed to summary and synopsis or at least as a supplement=
      to summary and synopsis.
      Kenneth

      --- In steiner@y..., DRStarman2001@a... wrote:
> [...]

      > instruction, there appeared, as amplification of it, "A Road to
      > Self-Knowledge" in eight meditations. In this latter book in which the na=
      ture
      > of meditation is minutely described, Rudolf Steiner answers the further
      > question, "What is Man in the true sense of the Word?" Replying to this
      > question, he described what a soul can experience when it surrenders itse=
      lf
      > to the spirit in meditation; and contents for meditation necessary for th=
      > strengthening of the soul-forces are given step by step.
      > Twelve years after the appearance of this description of a soul-journe=
      y,
      > Rudolf Steiner pointed out by the words of the Foundation Stone mantram, =
      the
      > way of spiritual training, the way to awareness of the spirit and to life=
      in
      > harmony with the spirit. It is the way to the true man, to freedom. Nearl=
      > twenty years after the first of the numerous editions of Knowledge of the=

      > Higher Worlds and Its Attainment, and about thirty years after the
      > publication of Philosophy of Spiritual Activity, Rudolf Steiner was justi=
      fied
      > in the belief that he would find in the Anthroposophical Society
      > personalities who, following an inner impulse, in freedom, were able to t=
      read
      > the path of spiritual training. With confidence in the people who had
      > practiced, or were ready to practice, the methods described in Knowledge =
      of
      > the Higher Worlds and Its Attainment, the Foundation Stone mantram gives =

      > directions for the further path, which leads, without a personal guide, b=
      > methodical practice of Spirit-Recollection, Spirit-Contemplation and
      > Spirit-Awareness, to the true man.
      > With the forming and laying of this Foundation Stone, Rudolf Steiner
      > revived the challenge of the ancient Mysteries, which resounds in these s=
      tan
      > zas for the inner ear: Know Thou Thyself. He can become conscious of his =
      own
      > spirit-origin and his spiritual goal. Thus he is first led to realize how=
      far
      > he is removed from his spirit-origin and his spirit goal. This means that=
      he
      > is called directly before the Guardian of the Threshold. If he heeds this=

      > call, then from the experience of standing before the Guardian of the
      > Threshold he learns how far he has progressed on the road to the true man=
      , or
      > how far he still is from this goal.
      > He who allows the appeal that resounds so powerfully in this triad of =

      > verses, to take effect in his soul, will first of all ask himself: How ca=
      n I
      > practice Spirit-Recollection, Spirit-Contemplation and Spirit-Awareness? =
      In