The Foundation Stone -1

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 24, 2002
      *******Sheila posted this on another list for Spiritual Science and I thought the group would like to see it here.
          For those who don't know, the Foundation Stone is a long mediattive mantra given out by Steiner to unite all members of the Society by its use, when he re-founded the Society in 1923.
      -starman

           On the 25th of December, 1923, there took place in Dornach the laying of the Foundation Stone of the General Anthroposophical Society. Rudolf Steiner had sent an invitation to all members of the Anthroposophical Society to come to Dornach to work out, together, a form for the society suitable to the needs of the Anthroposophical Movement.
          In place of ordinary statutes for the newly-founded General Society, there was presented, item by item, to the members (for their acceptance or the suggestion of alternatives) a description of what might be accomplished by people in a purely human life-association as an Anthroposophical Society. The ground in which the Foundation Stone was laid was laid was the hearts and souls of the personalities joined in the Anthroposophical Society. The Foundation Stone itself was to be the moral force welling up from the anthroposophical conduct of life. This moral force (attitude-Gesinnung) develops by means of self-deepening and soul-discipline on the way to awareness of the spirit and to life in accordance with the spirit.Anthroposophy is the path to the true man. Believing in the good will of those who, supported by love of truth, will follow this path and relying upon their serious purpose to educate themselves, by means of spiritual training, to live in Truth, to feel the Truth, to think the Truth. Rudolf Steiner fashioned in mantric form the following Foundation Stone of a General Anthroposophical Society, and entrusted it to the hearts and souls of the seven to eight hundred people who came together in response to his call for this Christmas Conference in Dornach.

      Soul of Man!
      Thou livest in the limbs
      Which bear thee through the Space-expanses
      Into the ocean of Spirit-Being.
      Practice SPIRIT RECOLLECTION
      In depths of soul,
      Where, in the power of World-creator-Beings,
      Thy Self takes origin from Self Divine—
      And thou shalt live in Truth
      In Human-Cosmic Being!
      For the Father Spirit of the Heights doth reign
      In the Depths of the world, begetting Being.
      Ye Spirits of Strength!
      Let from the Heights ring forth
      What in the Depths its echo doth find,
      It speaks:
      From the Divine springeth mankind.
      Spirit Beings hear it in East, West, North, South;
      May human beings hear it!

      II
      Soul of Man!
      Thou livest in the pulse of heart and lungs,
      Which leads thee through the rhythm of Time
      Into the feeling of thine own soul being.
      Practice SPIRIT-CONTEMPLATION
      Within Soul’s even balance,
      Where the world-evolving deeds upsurging
      Unite thy very Self with Cosmic Selfhood—
      And thou shalt feel the Truth
      In human Soul-Endeavor!
      For the Christ-Will encircling doth reign
      In the rhythms of the world, blessing Souls.
      Ye Spirits of Light!
      Let from the East be enkindled
      What in the West taketh form,
      It speaks:
      In Christ death becomes life.
      Spirit Beings hear it in East, West, North, South;
      May human beings hear it!

      III
      Soul of Man!
      Thou livest in the resting head,
      Which from eternal sources
      Unlocks world thoughts to thee.
      Practice SPIRIT AWARENESS
      In stillness of thought,
      Where eternal aims divine grant Cosmic Being’s Light
      To the very Self, to use as it wills
      And thou shalt think the Truth
      In depths of human Spirit.
      For the Spirit’s Cosmic Thoughts do reign
      In Cosmic Being, Light imploring.
      Ye Spirits of Soul!
      Let prayers arise from the Depths
      Which in the Heights will be heard,
      It speaks:
      In the Spirit’s Cosmic Thoughts the soul awakens.
      Spirit Beings hear it in East, West, North, South;
      May human beings hear it!

          These three stanzas give expression to the strongest imaginable challenge to the human soul, a challenge to human beings who have prepared themselves, or who have the will to prepare themselves by study and practice of the truths of spiritual science and by their own soul-deepening, to travel the path which leads to awareness of the spirit and to life in accord with the spirit. A forceful call could come only out of confidence in this good will and Rudolf Steiner gave it new enthusiasm by the directing power of the Foundation Stone Mantram which would affect the hearts and souls of all those present in Dornach either in person or in spirit. This mantram, united with will, borne by the love of truth, forms the living foundation for an association of people who intend to take as their task the nurture of the Spirit-Being Anthropos Sophia. Cosmic forces rest as living substance in these words; they can still unfold their creative activity today in anyone who conceives them within his own soul and relives them over and over again. They can become the Foundation Stone upon which he may build, if he dedicates his will to the furthering and development of the General Anthroposophical Society for the sake of the progress of human evolution.Anthroposophy is the path to the true man, and in the three stanzas of the Foundation Stone mantram a way to true living, true feeling and true thinking has been presented for all who wish to tread this path: especially for those who, through soul discipline, have already produced within themselves the essential preparatory conditions.
          Forty-five years ago, in reply to the question "How does one acquire Knowledge of the Higher Worlds?" Rudolf Steiner described the soul faculties which anyone must gain who wishes to attain to knowledge of the higher worlds. The methods by which these faculties can develop are given in detail in the description that later appeared in book form (Knowledge of the Higher Worlds and Its Attainment). Seven years after the publication of the book of instruction, there appeared, as amplification of it, "A Road to Self-Knowledge" in eight meditations. In this latter book in which the nature of meditation is minutely described, Rudolf Steiner answers the further question, "What is Man in the true sense of the Word?" Replying to this question, he described what a soul can experience when it surrenders itself to the spirit in meditation; and contents for meditation necessary for the strengthening of the soul-forces are given step by step.
         Twelve years after the appearance of this description of a soul-journey, Rudolf Steiner pointed out by the words of the Foundation Stone mantram, the way of spiritual training, the way to awareness of the spirit and to life in harmony with the spirit. It is the way to the true man, to freedom. Nearly twenty years after the first of the numerous editions of Knowledge of the Higher Worlds and Its Attainment, and about thirty years after the publication of Philosophy of Spiritual Activity, Rudolf Steiner was justified in the belief that he would find in the Anthroposophical Society personalities who, following an inner impulse, in freedom, were able to tread the path of spiritual training. With confidence in the people who had practiced, or were ready to practice, the methods described in Knowledge of the Higher Worlds and Its Attainment, the Foundation Stone mantram gives directions for the further path, which leads, without a personal guide, by methodical practice of Spirit-Recollection, Spirit-Contemplation and Spirit-Awareness, to the true man.
         With the forming and laying of this Foundation Stone, Rudolf Steiner revived the challenge of the ancient Mysteries, which resounds in these stanzas for the inner ear: Know Thou Thyself. He can become conscious of his own spirit-origin and his spiritual goal. Thus he is first led to realize how far he is removed from his spirit-origin and his spirit goal. This means that he is called directly before the Guardian of the Threshold. If he heeds this call, then from the experience of standing before the Guardian of the Threshold he learns how far he has progressed on the road to the true man, or how far he still is from this goal.
         He who allows the appeal that resounds so powerfully in this triad of verses, to take effect in his soul, will first of all ask himself: How can I practice Spirit-Recollection, Spirit-Contemplation and Spirit-Awareness? In seeking an answer we must have a clear understanding of what is meant by Spirit-Recollection, Spirit-Contemplation and Spirit-Awareness, and this leads to the further questions: What is recollection? What is contemplation? What is awareness? Recollection is the faculty by which experiences can be brought to mind that have made an impression at some previous time and have had a fully conscious, or even half-conscious effect upon the soul. The impulse to such remembrance may come from an outer impression, but the possibility of its coming may be brought about by one’s own will. This will develops when one ponders upon some past event—that is, when one concentrates his inner senses upon it. Experiences which reappear in man’s consciousness either from an outer cause or through reflection, are like memory-pictures, shadowy pictures, inwardly perceptible. They have neither the vitality nor the significance for man which they had as present experiences, but the vitality and the force they had at the time remains as formative force, and continues to have an effect upon his practical knowledge and his abilities. In the practical knowledge and abilities of man, lives the formative force of his experiences. The experiences themselves are transformed shadowy pictures which can be brought to mind as recollections.
         The quality and the power of his experiences shape man’s essential being. At each moment of his life he is the result of the formative forces of his experiences; and his deeds in the world are determined at each moment of his life by the result of these formative forces.
         The events of the outer world come to man without his conscious participation; but if he wishes to have spiritual experience, he must seek the spirit. Such experience can be attained in the life between birth and death by means of spiritual training. Relying upon those who seek the spirit, Rudolf Steiner prepared the path of knowledge which would lead the spiritual in man to the spiritual in the Universe. The words of the Foundation Stone mantram were given to those who seriously intend to follow the path to the true man.
          When daily we bring to life within us the words of the Foundation Stoner mantram, and when we allow them to work upon our soul, we shall be able to feel in these words the question, the entreaty directed to each of us. Do you wish to live in truth? Do you wish to feel the truth? Do you wish to think the truth? Then—practice Spirit-Recollection, practice Spirit-Contemplation, practice Spirit-Awareness, that good may be what we from our hearts would found and from our heads direct with single purpose. And we would found an association of people to educate themselves for true living, true feeling, true thinking, in order to sustain the Spirit-Being. Anthropos-Sophia, within ourselves and in our midst. And the question becomes ever more urgent, more intense: How can I practice Spirit-Recollection, Spirit-Contemplation, Spirit-Awareness?
         If we have studied Anthroposophy then we bear within us what enables us to practice Spirit-Recollection, Spirit-Contemplation, Spirit-Awareness. Every word that Rudolf Steiner spoke to us, every word that he wrote in his books, has flowed from his own spirit-experience, and from his love-sustained will to prepare for the Spirit-Being, Anthropos-Sophia the way into the present epoch of civilization. Such love-sustained words of truth, have the power to bring about spirit-experience in us also, if we receive them in our innermost being. Spiritual experiences retain their life and power and continue to work within the human soul as formative force. Just as by contemplation, that is by concentration of the inner senses, one can bring to mind past events, so does spirit-contemplation make possible the recalling of words of truth that have flowed from spirit-experience.
         In the first lines of each of the three stanzas of the Foundation Stone mantram, Rudolf Steiner links his own spirit-experience to wisdom that is sleeping deep in our innermost being but lost to the consciousness of present-day man, the knowledge of man as a threefold entity. "Soul of Man! Thou livest in the pulse of heart and lungs, which leads thee through the rhythm of Time into the feeling of thine own soul being….Soul of Man! Thou livest in the resting Head, which from eternal sources unlocks world thoughts to thee." In the next lines follows the challenge to intensify by meditation this knowledge that has been lifted into the consciousness: "Practice Spirit-Recollection in depths of soul….Practice Spirit-Awareness, in stillness of thought." These words are based on Rudolf Steiner’s confidence in those members of the Society who know the nature of meditation and who, by means of soul-discipline as described in Knowledge of the Higher Worlds and Its Attainment have prepared within themselves the conditions which lead to spiritual experience.
         When the soul-forces, thinking, feeling and willing are purified and strengthened by methodical practice, they combine in a threefold unity, and in this unity they are a spirit-sustaining power in which the ego can lay hold of itself and live and act consciously, without external stimulus, by the strength of its own conceptual life.
          Spirit-Recollection is first, the activity of the Ego when it conceives a truth-bearing word within its innermost being. Spirit-Contemplation is a devotional concentration of the inner senses upon the truth, now resting in the depths of the soul. Borne in soul’s even balance, the Ego is in a state of greatest passivity and at the same time in a state of intense activity. The whole human being is, in this state of consciousness, a receptive inner organ, completely surrendered to the world of truth. His may be called the state of consciousness of the threshold. It may lead to the conscious or unconscious crossing of the threshold to the spiritual world. If, as may easily happen, the meditator cannot stay awake, this state of selfless spiritual preparedness in arrested thinking will pass over into a state of sleep, in other words, it will lead to an unconscious crossing of the threshold. But if he can stay awake in this passive, but spiritually prepared state in arrested thinking, he can be led to spiritual awareness.
          The truth is endowed with a life of its own; its creative power strengthens and invigorates the soul forces and the invigorated soul forces metamorphose into instruments of spiritual activity and organs or supersensible conception. Spirit-Recollection, Spirit-Contemplation and Spirit-Awareness are the activities practiced in meditation. Rudolf Steiner speaks of these activities often in his books; and in A Road to Self-Knowledge he describes minutely this inner process. For meditation he indicates subjects taken from treasures of spiritual science best suited to lead most surely to the goal.
         In contemplative-reflection, we may try to bring to mind a past event, but it is not within our power to set the time when such a memory-picture will appear. It very often comes only when we are no longer thinking of it at all. In the same way we can only try, in soul-balance to give the Spirit of Truth stillness, space and time for the unfolding of its activity, but we cannot bring about this activity, we can only wait for it with inner calm and in spirit-preparedness. It is merely a question of time when and to what extent a truth, thus woven into our being will reveal itself to inner vision. If we are determined to tread untiringly the path to true living, true feeling and true thinking, if we practice methodically with unlimited patience, providing in our souls stillness, space and time for the Spirit of Truth, then it will unfold its life enkindling creative power and will arise before our inner vision. This is the meeting with the Spirit-Being, Anthropos-Sophia; and in this meeting and the blending of our whole being with this Spirit-Being, man experiences the essence, the actuality of Grace.
          The three activities of meditation are indicated in the challenge: Practice Spirit-Recollection in depths of Soul….Practice Spirit-Awareness in stillness of thought. In these three stanzas we find the very urgent summons to meditate. Do they also contain subjects for meditation? The first lines of each stanza recall to the soul the forgotten knowledge of its relation to body, soul and spirit, and also to space, time and eternity. Now a challenge to meditate follows and in brief mantric-form is given the subject for meditation: "Thy Self takes origin from Self Divine."
          The corresponding place in the second stanza is of extraordinary significance. When the knowledge of our own spiritual origin awakens it leads to the overwhelming realization of our present remoteness from it. The student would lose courage to proceed on this path if no possibility appeared for a re-union with the spiritual in the Universe. At this point in the second stanza is indicated the way in which the human ego can reunite with the Cosmic Ego by harmonizing his soul-forces. "Practice Spirit-Contemplation within soul’s even balance, where the world-evolving deeds upsurging unite thy very Self with Cosmic Selfhood."
          In corresponding words in the third stanza we are given a promise: "Practice Spirit-Awareness in stillness of thought, where eternal aims divine grant Cosmic Being’s Light to the very Self, to use as it wills." The free deed of man, expressed in his effort to make possible re-union with the Cosmic Ego—this free deed springing from love of truth, is recognized and accepted by the Spirit-World in granting Cosmic Being’s light to the very Self, for use as it wills.
          Thus in the first pasts of the stanzas of the Foundation Stone mantram are given two subjects for meditation. The first of these may arise as human self-knowledge. The second subject is based on an ancient Rosicrucian mantram known for hundreds of years to students of the Spirit who surrendered themselves to the mystery-training of the Rosicrucians: Ex deo nascimur….In Christo morimur….Per spiritum sanctum reviviscimus. In response to the needs of our present civilisation, these words have brought out from deepest secrecy and have been given to the public; "Thy Self takes origin from Self Divine," the translation of Ex deo nascimur, has been changed from the plural form to the singular and given in the Foundation Stone mantram as subject for meditation. Rudolf Steiner was confident tht those who meditate these words will meditate the following words of the Rosicrucian mantran too and that in contemplation the student might find himself guided to a re-union with the Spiritual in the Universe. Meeting and blending his own being with the Spirit-Being Anthropos-Sophia, the student may realise the awakening of his soul "Per spiritum sanctun reviviscimus."

      http://www.DrStarman.net
    • LilOleMiss
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 24, 2002

        Dr. Starman, I'm very thankful you discovered this and I'd like to give a bit of history regarding this particular writeup of *The Foundation Stone.* It is the best "explanation" of this important mantram I've ever come across, and the writer was among those in attendance at the time Steiner gave it to the Members. She was Frau Helle Unger Weisshaar, who's brother, Dr. Carl Unger, was assassinated while on his way to the podium to give a speech entitled "What is Anthroposophy?," which I think may still be on Chris Bodame's site http://www.transintelligence.org under "articles." He was one of Rudolf Steiner's closest co-workers and father of George Unger and grandfather of the present Dr. Carl Unger.  Frau Helle, a young Anthroposophist at the time, was in the audience and for years worked with Steiner and attended most of his lectures until his death, attending his funeral afterwards and continuing her writings and travels for Anthroposophy. She was a wonderfully warm person, literally radiating love and beauty simply by her very presence as well as through her very large dark brown eyes, which I can still see in my mind's eye. She was in her 80's when as a young "searcher" I met her, and as I grew to love her she gave me many personal insights into Steiner, the Society, its history and other Anthroposophists of The Times, but above all, her greatest gift was the personal spiritual guidance she gave me. Much of my library and papers were hers, and it's always a joy to find her pencilled corrections and personal notes in among the texts, giving me a real sense of her presence even now as well as of her loving guidance. The last I heard of her was in the 1970s, but for me, she is always present.

        Blessings,

        Sheila

        *******Sheila posted this on another list for Spiritual Science and I thought the group would like to see it here.
            For those who don't know, the Foundation Stone is a long mediattive mantra given out by Steiner to unite all members of the Society by its use, when he re-founded the Society in 1923.
        -starman
      • jackstrange11
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 24, 2002
          Dear List,
          May I suggest that we work with Foundation Stone Mantra in our attempt to u=
          nderstand the POP? Since understanding our thinking is essential to practica=
          l work with the POP, we can take the content of the Mantra as the object of =
          our thought and attempt to communicate how our thinking and inner perception=
          react to these world-creating thoughts.

          If we think about the Mantra, then the inner thought of RS is the object of=
          our thinking.For example in the phrase "Where, in the power of World-creato=
          r-Beings,Thy Self takes origin from Self Divineâ€"" my thinking seems to imm=
          ediately and briefly unite with Steiner's direct knowledge of our creation, =
          but my subsequent observation of that process yields abstract pictures and f=
          orms. I sense that my thinking is most alive exactly at the time when my co=
          ncept meets the percept and my subsequent attempts at analysis are more dead=
          and abstact. I feel that the process of concept meeting percept cannot be t=
          hought about until after the meeting occurs, but the later thinking is but a=
          shadow of the original thinking

          It is very difficult to describe thinking. I would be very interested if o=
          thers shared observations of their own thought processes. Then we would have=
          the fruit of experience and empirical data that may enliven our reading of =
          the POP. If we decide to study it, I would rather see some attempt to put i=
          t into action as opposed to summary and synopsis or at least as a supplement=
          to summary and synopsis.
          Kenneth